Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Killing a Tree

Boolit Master

I've killed a few dozen with the roundup method you're using. But I've always done it in the spring or summer when there is sap running.

FWIW. The roundup will get out of the roots and get into plants nearby, but didn't kill them(tulips and lillys). Just kind of turned the edges of the leaves brown for a while.

There used to be instructions on either 2-4D or 2-5T( hotter version for killing brush) jugs on injecting the straight herbicide with a hypodermic needle into the cambium layer in multiple injections around the perifery(sp) of the trunk. Totally invisible to the casual observer but kills the tree, roots and all.

If I was to do it, I'd use a cattle syringe, if it will go through the hide of a steer, I'm pretty sure it will make it through the outer bark off a bradford pear.

All bradford pears need to die, they're a miserable tree.

Whole 'nother story about my dealing with bradford pears and an insane sister.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Please tell me you're married!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Lol I am married. I am the less emotional half. It's simply pragmatic to protect the investment, in this case, the house. One of the reasons we chose our house was the fact there are no trees on our property or either neighbors properties. Once Gaul took root in a friend's tree and a neighbor across the streets tree, she said she sure is glad we don't have trees to contend with. Each tree was more than $3k to take down.

Boolit Master

I empathize with the OP. My wife doesn’t put much thought to how trees and bushes are going to fit where she wants to plant them. A lot of people are like that.
    I’ve had good success drilling downward angled 3/8th inch holes a couple inches deep into the tree / bush, just above the ground. Space the holes 4” to 5” apart. I use a little squeeze bottle filled with ‘RODEO’ to fill the holes, then plug holes with twigs. Sometimes I administer a second dose a week later. Usually kills them within a month.
    On the subject of pear trees, growing up we had a full size pear in our backyard. It was easily 30 feet tall and 24” Diameter a few feet above the ground. Mom canned pears, used them in pies, breads etc. and put them in our lunches. To this day I really don’t like pears.

If you cut through the bark in a circle around the trunk the tree will no longer be able to lift water and nutrients to the tree, this will kill it. Think a chainsaw cutting 1/2" into the bark in a circumference around the trunk. Google phloem if needed. WARNING: if you kill this tree tons of pests will be attracted to the dying tree and your other trees will be at heightened risk of disease and pest problems until the dying host tree is removed.

Boolit Master

OP is trying to make it look like the tree died on its own. Girdling it with a chain saw is kind of difficult to hide.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornSutton View Post
    My intent is for it to die, not bud or leaf out, then cut it down.
    Oooohhhhh.......I recently have had a few neighbour disputes with trees. Drill the biggest hole you dare angling down as close to the ground as you can - pour in stump remover until it's flush, then tamp that in as far as you can. Fill the hole with newspaper (acts like a wick). Tree dies.....one person knows.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly501 View Post
    Why do you want to kill it before you cut it down?Im sure you’re going to cut it down right after it’s dead but it’s safer and easier to cut down a live tree.
    The wife wont let him remove it because it is alive ...
    If the tree dies ... he is then free of any explanation and can remove it ...

Landscaping by Deception !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Can you just drill a couple of holes and pour diesel into it?

Own a pine tree farm. I get rid of different types of volunteer and Mr Bushytail planted trees all year long. Easiest way to kill that thin bark, pear tree is to cut a ring around the trunk through the white tissue under the bark, cut a second ring about a foot up, peel the bark and camper off all around between the two rings. use a wide sharp blade, like a machete or cane knife, they are fast and easy. The tree is dead. Any chemicals affect other growth.
    One of the better stump removers, close to a structure, is potassium nitrate, drill the stump and fill the holes. The nitrogen starts the decay process quickly and actually feeds the surrounding plants or grass.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Girdled was term I wanted to use but forgot.

Id try and get it transplanted too if it’s not too big. If not, those are the branches, I use off my fruit trees for all my meat I smoke!
    It's a Bradford Pear (nauseous weed here) Cut it down and paint the stump with Tordon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mack2 View Post
    It's a Bradford Pear (nauseous weed here) Cut it down and paint the stump with Tordon.
    Best of luck if he doesn't have an application license - and definitely not super friendly for future planting.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    What a shame to kill a tree that smells so good!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Best of luck if he doesn't have an application license - and definitely not super friendly for future planting.

I guess the applicator restrictions are different in other places, I can buy Tordon at the local hardware. I don't think I would want a tree next to my house but some may.

she finds out that tree didn't die of natural causes he better hope she doesn't find the stump remover! I didn't realize this was a covert op. That tree will take a year or more to die "a natural death", if she googles a tree that died in 6 months shes going to come to a covert op conclusion.

Boolit Master

Interesting the lack of participation by the OP.

Boolit Master

cut it down go rent a stump remover and be done
    Last edited by wgr; 03-10-2024 at 10:20 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    glyphosate (the active chemical in roundup) is a foliar treatment, i.e. the tree/plant absorbs it through the leaves. I'm not going to say that you can't treat a stump/bole of a tree with roundup and eventually kill it, but it's not going to be very effective unless, in my opinion, in great quantities. 2-4-D, garlon, arsenal (triclopyr or amazapyr) would probably be more effective.
    Some trees are notoriously hard to kill. Girdling seems best and safest

Boolit Master
    https://youtube.com/shorts/AW8IYS9T1...2NXMoCX2ijlzbd

Here's an interesting clandestine method for killing trees!

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123