RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: 350 Legend duplex?

Boolit Bub

350 Legend duplex?

After looking at a 350 legend case and seeing all that straight case length I got to wondering. Has anyone ever tried to duplex load one? A wadcutter in first the followed by whatever works for you. Keep the total weight around 250grs or so over maybe 5grs of Unique. Keep it subsonic and maybe even suppressed.
    Any thoughts?

I used QL to double the length & weight of the Lyman 141, LWC #358495, and seated
    to an OAL of 1/10" more than the case length, . . . . w/ 5gr Unique underneath.

Do-able.
    I'm not so sure about Would-able
    Tapered internal case walls likely do you in....

Factoid

...... you can duplex the shot or balls in your load;

...... you can also put more than one powder inside your case for the other kind of duplex load.

Your question isn't clear as to which avenue you are considering.

I bought a LEE cast mold made a linked up row of double ought buckshot and made up some powder coated strings of round balls for the 350 Legend with up to 3 chained pellets. The long case looked like a snake swallowing eggs --- but a trip through the tapered sizing die fixed those egg bulges just fine.

Firing the rounds flatted the balls together and bulged the bullet ODs back out in the larger OD throat to engage the rifling past the forcing cone just fine.

The end answer to the experiment was that after 2 balls there simply wasn't enough room for enough slow powder to boost the chain of balls up to any sort of decent velocity. Three balls never worked right due to not enough powder. In addition, there wasn't enough gas volume produced in these rounds to run an AR's action either ........

There are some among us that have duplexed powders in the case itself and some of us have even mixed their own custom mix ratios of slightly too slow and moderately too fast powders for certain cases and loads.

Who taught them to do this stuff? Good 'ol Bruce Hodgdon taught us about reblending lots of "same same or very similar" powders (it is how they got into business in the first place by mixing their varying speed lots of WWII surplus powders) and again more recently when they made the Superblend line of "custom mixed for just one case & one round" powders. Hodgdon Superblends gave you 100% load density and 10-20% additional velocity with consistently flattened primers ..... folks did't care for the higher somewhat temperature sensitive pressures.

==================================

Of course no individual reloader will admit doing this "Alchemy of Powders" witchcraft stuff any more (for legal reasons) and indeed Hodgdon no longer sells their Superblend stuff for much either. Hodgdon had made the stuff up for a specific use case then them silly reloaders began using it for other calibers/load densities and them crazy people wound up with some mangled up some brass in the process. So, Hodgdon quit pushing Superblend powder mixes.

Note: Some of the better Superblends were kept in the Hodgdon line, and are now called Superperformance powders. Hodgdon just gives you the new name and the approved loading data for the cartridges they are sold for, carefully withholding any other information.

==================================

Folks like gun writer Dean Grinnel wrote articles on "reasonable" multi-projectile loads in the 5th edition of his book on ABCs of Reloading.
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 03-12-2024 at 12:37 PM.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Boolit Bub
    I have never had any patience so I threw these together.
    150gr hardcast wadcutter
    115 hardcast hollowpoint
    Both polycoated
    7grs of Unique
    OAL 2.05
    According to Gordons reloading tool I should be well within pressure at 37k PSI. It does pass a case gauge test. Unfortunately it will be awhile before I can get to the range but I will update when I get the chance to fire these
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duplex.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	323898.
    Last edited by GaryM; 02-27-2024 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Picture!

What sort of gun are you shooting it with?

Boolit Bub
    AR15 with 16" barrel. Figure it will be a straight pull bolt action with these.

GaryM,

About 3-5 of our oldtimer experimenters recorded our work on the 350 Legend back when it was brand new in a separate thread, so this particular thread makes a good read and a possible way to avoid going down some pathways that wound up leading to nowhere.

Heck, I even colorcoded some of the first of my posts so you could spot something that didn't pan out and not spend the money and effort to go there.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ght=350+legend

You may want to add your experiments to the group knowledge base, this way they are located together where folks can find them later.
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 02-28-2024 at 02:50 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Well it worked and the impacts were pretty dang close. (will try to post the picture of it) Recoil was mellow along with report. Ting qith a bit more lead next time. 148gr wadcutter behind a 147 FMJ TC. Still 7gr of Unique. Oh, doesn't even come close to cycling the action...[
    ATTACH=CONFIG]324461[/ATTACH]
    There are 4 holes in that picture. The wadcutters are obvious but look real close at the bottom wadcutter, you can see along the top where the hollowpoint just grazed a bit on the top.
    Shot at 50Yds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Duplex.jpg  
    Last edited by GaryM; 03-12-2024 at 12:31 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

2 45 rb give you about 5" separation at 100 yards with a muzzleloader so no surprise there. The question is what do you want to do with it?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Mainly just wanted to see if it would work however I am toying with trying it on hogs. Basically would have the power of two simultaneous 9mm impacts but with the added bonus of being subsonic it could suppress very well.
    Maybe.

If going against hog subsonic, I'd sure go as heavy as I could reasonably stuff in the case/and still as fast as possible up to 1,100 fps