WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What caliber for a Sharps?

Boolit Master

What caliber for a Sharps?

Just finishing up a Sharps action from Axtel castings and am trying to decide on a caliber. When I first started this project I thought I'd make it 405 Winchester as I had the reamer but not the rifle. I now have a 95 Winchester in that caliber so I'm trying to decide what other caliber I would like. What say you guys?
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

My. choice would be 45/70, because it’s a great cartridge in its own right, and ammo and reloading supplies are (more or less) readily available.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    My. choice would be 45/70, because it’s a great cartridge in its own right, and ammo and reloading supplies are (more or less) readily available.
    Already have a Sharps in 45-70. I'm looking for something different. As the kids used to say "cool" but different. That was why I first thought 405. There can't be too many in that caliber.

Boolit Grand Master
    How about a 38-56?

Boolit Master

For whatever reason, I have always thought a 50-70 would be a nice lead chucker to have. Should really bang the steel. james

Boolit Bub

Boolit Grand Master

I would look at 38-55, 38-56, 40-65. If you want a real steel banger a 45-90 with 1-18 twist. Those 550 grners really hit them hard. The 38s set up for heavy bullets are a lot of fun light recoil and accurate. But the 45-90 2.4 case really hits hard and componets are more available for it than the bigger calibers

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Just finishing up a Sharps action from Axtel castings and am trying to decide on a caliber. When I first started this project I thought I'd make it 405 Winchester as I had the reamer but not the rifle. I now have a 95 Winchester in that caliber so I'm trying to decide what other caliber I would like. What say you guys?
    You have Axtel castings. That is interesting, and a story too I bet.
    Chill Wills

I couldn't make up my mind so I bought a 40/65, 45/70, 45/90, 50/70 and 50/90. Each is good in their own way!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

That idea of a 90 grain cartridge has alot of merit. The 45-90 is a powerhouse. We have one sort-off. Throated the chamber of one of our 45-70 Roller's so we could long seat and load 85 grains of 3F. It will smack the gongs with authority.
    A 50-90 is on our list. We have a couple Trapdoors in 50-70. I have fired several rounds from a 50-90 26" carbine and liked it.
    Thinking on a 43 Spanish going to Jes Reboring and have it reamed and chambered for 50-70. Then when our order of 50-90 brass arrives from Starline finish the job with a 50-90 reamer. Start with a 30" barrel then maybe cut it to 28" for a while.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I'll be a little different and suggest 9.3x72R or a larger bore with the same brass necked up. It is a long case with a nice rim.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy

I have a 45-90 Sharps 1874 Business rifle I restocked. It is an old Shiloh from Farmington, NY. Bought the barreled action in an old gunshop for $35. The lock and breech block block was missing. That's when Wolfgang Drogue ran Shiloh Sharps. He fixed me up with the parts I needed to complete the gun. Used an original lock. Its a great shooter. Hope to take it to Western South Dakota to bang a bison this October. I am driving 400 gr Speer flat points at 2000 fps. Should be able to knock a buffalo off his feet. Winchester 405 is a great cartridge but brass is scarce. I still have 300 gr Hornady jacketed boolits for the 405 Win. that I load in 40-65 Win. Not sure Hornady is still makin the 405 Win 300 grainers?? I would stick with 45-70 or 45-90 for your Sharps. 50-70 and 50-100 would work great as there are plenty of good boolit moulds to choose from. Again for now 50-70 and 50-100 brass is unobtanium!!

I'll go smaller and suggest a 40-50 SBN. Easy to make out of 45-70 cases, very pleasant to shoot, usually very accurate and not so big you can't run it with smokeless powder if you choose to.

Boolit Grand Master

Something rimmed ... medium bore ... hopefully easy to get brass for or at least easy to form brass from something easy to get .

How about :

303 British
    38-55 Winchester
    40-65 Winchester
    40-70 Sharps Straight

All of the above have loading data in Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition .
    I might tend to lean towards the 303 British ... it is a nice classic round and in a good chamber the brass will last for several reloadings and ...
    it used to be easy to find brass .
    It would be conservative with lead and powder ... I'm getting old and the heavy recoilers are not as much fun as they used to be ...
    My how things change when you get ... " old " !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Don’t do the 40-70 S.S. brass is non existent except at Rocky Mountain Brass for about $4.00-5.00 a piece. 40-50 Sharps B.N. Is a much more viable cartridge with very close ballistics and is smokeless powder friendly. Brass is reformed 45-70 trimmed to 1.775”. I have a Shiloh Military Carbine on order chambered for this little jewel of a cartridge. I have a Shiloh 1874 chambered in 40/2.5” can be a difficult cartridge to work with.

Boolit Master
    40/65 or 38/55, brass is easy to come by for both calibers, or you can ru 45/70 into a 40/65 die and you have brass. Bot shoot great way out there, easy to get to shoot well with known data.

Boolit Master
    First off I apologize for putting this in the wrong area. I intended to put it in the single-shot area.

Now, thanks for the suggestions. I've considered most of the calibers mentioned. I also thought about the classic 44-77 but brass appears to be difficult to find or make. The fellow I got the castings from told me that with proper heat treatment the action can take about any caliber including modern ones but, who wants a 30-06 or 300 Win Mag Sharps. I want to be able to hunt elk with it. If I so choose I want a caliber that will get the job done with authority. I went to a 375 H&H years ago for a reason, i.e. a poor hit with a 30-06 and a long follow-up. Elk aren't bullet proof but they can be hard to anchor.

Boolit Master

I like the 44-77 Sharps
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Whatever you can get brass for now!

Boolit Master
    Another vote here for a .40 caliber - .40-65 is probably easiest, with .40-50 as a close second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast