MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Interesting SKS that I don't know much about.

Boolit Mold

Interesting SKS that I don't know much about.

The SKS is missing the original stock. 8 digit serial number first 2 number are 18 the serial number ends with an N. It's a norinco poly. The weird things I can't find much on is the dark grey bolt. The 11 on the side of the bolt and The serial number ending with N. It's a milled receiver and milled trigger group. Pinned barrel. It has a triangle stamp that traced to the 416 factory in China. Any help on information about it or what it's worth would be every helpful.

they were manufactured in numerous Com Bloc countries - USSR, Russia, Red Cina, East Germany, Rumania, Poland, Sebia + etc. - need more info + pictures with markings for anyone to help - also made in different variations length, folding blade bayonet, grenade launchers + etc.
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 02-27-2024 at 08:07 AM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...31#post5667531

Maybe checking the archives will help you figure things out or find new sources of information. If your rifle numbers do not match, it is probably shooter grade and not really a collector piece.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Not original it’s not worth much. You’d be lucky with a couple hundred bucks. All original 500 to 600 or maybe 100 more at the most.

Boolit Master

The worth of a SKS is in what it is and does , the only collectible ones are trophy bring backs from Vietnam , they are no longer 75 dollar rifles , The Chinese made a lot of them , I have owned more then a few , still own a Russian , Chinese rifle and a Chinese paratrooper version .

They were a lot of fun when ammo was 79 dollars for 1200 rounds , I never felt the need to know any of the where and what factory as they were a utilitarian firearm , crawl through the briars and brambles on a rainy day in the thick reprod patches and clear cuts when I was hunting deer and shooting in the rock pits .

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yeah, it’s easy enough to get a feel of what they’re worth, and not worth by quickly going on the “overpriced ones” on GunBroker and see if anybody’s bidding on them.

Boolit Master
    Dean,

Enjoy your SKS. I use several as the best Farm Gun in my heap. I shot cases of Ball in the past and reload for my SKSs now with both J and Cast boolits. I got my guns in the early 1990s when New guns and accessory packs were under $100.00.

I use my farm guns daily and am not concerned with collector factors. No coyote has ever outrun the 10-round SKS magazine in the big hayfield...

Be well.

Adam

The dark gray bolts are from being sand blasted, no gleam.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Moderator Emeritus

Deanmarow,
    Welcome to the forum.
    If it's a Norinco, I assume it has import marks under the barrel. If the bolt has been sand blasted, then I'd assume it's been issued. No original stock, that's too bad, but maybe it was real poor condition? You description hasn't told me anything special about it, so price would be near the bottom, whatever the bottom currently is?
    Myself, I wouldn't pay over $200. But I rarely see them at the gunshows anymore, and when I do see them, they are priced around $500...but no one is buying them. So the current value eludes me.
    In 1993, I bought a case (20) of issued SKS rifles, $69 each. Most of the stocks were banged up pretty bad, and painted brown over the original varnish coating. All had mixed SN. They varied in external metal condition, but they all shot well, those chrome lined bores all looked good, those Chi-Coms must have known what they were doing with that chrome lining.
    So, what does a fella do with 20 junkers? He cleans 'em up and puts aftermarket stocks on them. My favorite was the reddish colored Chi-Com fiberglass stock, they looked ok and they were sooo cheap. If the mag was banged up, I'd put one of the Chi-Com 20 rd fixed mags on it...those were cheap at one time, as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a mix master parts gun, milled with pinned? Just my guess, if it goes band and is safe to shoot, trigger is not too bad, and comes real close to hitting what your aiming at? Go online and buy 1K case of ammo and go enjoy it, that's what it was made for!

Boolit Master

Ya, milled receiver and pinned barrel doesn't seem to make sense...???