WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: CCI CB Long fail?

Boolit Master

CCI CB Long fail?

I finally got my late father's Winchester/Miroku Model 52 back from the shop where he had it for sale and took it to the range to see how accurate it was.

I had a wide variety of cheaper .22 ammo on hand, and found some smoke-damaged boxes of Eley Match and CCI CB Long ammo in his reloading room.

The gun was doing OK, and the Eley Match got a decent 5/8" group at 55yds. I then loaded the CB Long, and when it fired, it sounded like a cap gun and I literally saw the bullet come out and hit the ground about 15yds away.

I decided not to shoot any more of it, especially in such a nice rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240224_005002.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	323837

I've never used CB Long before and never heard of it, but my dad has a bunch of it. Does anyone know what the purpose of it is and if that first shot could have been a fluke?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Low velocity, almost silent out of a long barreled rifle. Always liked the Remington CeeBee rounds better. I would have expected the CCI to do better than 15 yards.

Nice to shoot without earplugs is probably the best that can be said about them.

Boolit Master

I have a Remington 121 which they are extremely accurate out of. As I recall about 700 fps so should beat 15 yards by a fair bit. Noise is about like shooting an air rifle.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy

I have been looking for CCI CB Longs. Much nicer to feed than the CB's. Plus they work in your repeaters. Even autos by cycling the action by hand. Used them for varmint control in my garden Cottontails at 25 yards with head shots, Stripies had no chance GW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I have been looking for CCI CB Longs. Much nicer to feed than the CB's. Plus they work in your repeaters. Even autos by cycling the action by hand. Used them for varmint control in my garden Cottontails at 25 yards with head shots, Stripies had no chance GW
    The CCI "Supressor" load is my favorite load for similar vermin, a coupe of Ground Hogs digging under the deck last year. Looking forward to what kind of targets mother nature will give me this year.
    Take care all!
    Rick

PS They will cycle the semi-autos I have.

Boolit Master
    How long is the barrel in the mdl 52. I had some low velocity ammo that said not to shoot it in rifles as the bullets might get stuck in the barrel. Somewhere I have testing data for .22 ammo in different length barrels, even the hottest ammo saw a velocity loss with barrels more than 18 inches long.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice rifle.
    Don Verna

It's definitely a fluke,. The entire box could be bad, or even that production lot, but the basic design of the round is sound. I have the CB shorts, which feature the exact same loading (I didn't know that at the time of purchase, and assumed they would be quieter; they are not), and they have no problem exiting my rifle's 27.25" barrel. A friend of mine recently acquired a Krag-Jorgensen, 22 trainer. It features a 29" barrel, and Aguila Super Colibris not only exit the muzzle, they will penetrate a water bottle at close range, and travel several hundred yards overall. Those rounds contain no powder, and not a single failure has been observed over the last 100 rounds.

Edited to add: The entire purpose behind shooting these rounds from such long barrels, was to see how quiet we could get. With the Colibris, the Krag is silent, apart from the firing pin. Shooting the same rounds, my rifle sounds like a spring-powered bb gun, while the CB shorts are similar to a 22 caliber pellet gun. No CB's have been fired from the Krag rifle yet.
    Last edited by HumptyDumpty; 02-26-2024 at 09:47 AM.

I had one of those rifles, I could take 10 for 10 chicken silhouettes @200M. Nicer rifles than the original 52’s.

Boolit Grand Master

You say smoke damaged boxes but was it only smoke or also heat ? They may have been damaged by that. The CCI cb longs may have had some deterioration from the heat. Its looking like that may be something to think about

Boolit Master

I only shoot the CCI CB long or CB Short in my 10" Contender barrel.
    I also like Aguila Calibri and Super Calibri.
    They're used only in short barreled fire arms.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the great info! I need to check my stock, but I'm pretty sure I have a few thousand of those CB Longs that weren't affected by the fire. My dad also had a bunch of the CCI Green Tag .22lr that he favored for target shooting.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The 550fps CB shorts work fine and exit both my anschutz woodchucker and long barreled utralux. The 750 fps cci quiets won’t exit my utralux. They stop about an inch or so short of the muzzle. All you can hear it’s the trigger brake. I was smart enough to catch what happened the first time it happened and pushed it out the barrel. After clearing I repeated two more times clearing the projectile out each time. The shorts group about an inch at 25 yards then the groups fall apart at longer distances.