WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Creeds & Statements Of Faith

Creeds & Statements Of Faith

Have any of you fellas studied the creeds and statements of faith from the various denominations?

I have only just begun this peculiar study of comparison of independents, Catholics, Mormons, Baptists, Methodists, Eastern Orthodox and whatever else springs up in searches, of commonality and difference, most of which I'd never bothered to look at. Some are outstanding. Occasionally there's a red or amber flashing light. Any way, thought that perhaps it could make for interesting conversation if anyone is interested in such.

I have not....but I wager it's an interesting read. Personally, I don't do ANY denomination. It's either in the word of God or you can go pound sand. I place ZERO value in ritual or traditions of men. I hope i don't come across as judgmental because we all need different things...but I don't care for singing...sit stand clap your hands....outfits NO ONE wears in a normal setting...I personally prefer the Word read, chapter by chapter....Just like the Israelite priests of old did. Anecdotal & topical sermons are a sedative to me. I wanna know what my Father wrote to me in His Word.

The non-biblical ideals I was force fed as a child in the church I was raised in turned me off to 98% of organized religion. ....Now, if you could give me a Church of Smyrna or Philadelphia (Rev chapter 2&3) I'd be on the front pew every time to doors opened with eyes and ears open.
    He that dasheth in pieces is come up before thy face: keep the munition, watch the way, make thy loins strong, fortify thy power mightily. Nahum 2:1

Boolit Master
    Did not know there is a grunge band called "Creed"
    (what a world...)
    But persisted and found a creed, this one works for me!

The Apostles’ Creed (Circa 2nd century A.D.)

I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
    And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;
    Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
    Born of the virgin Mary,
    Suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    Was crucified, dead and buried.
    On the third day, He rose again from the dead.
    He ascended to heaven,
    And sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
    From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Spirit,
    The holy universal church,
    The communion of saints,
    The forgiveness of sins,
    The resurrection of the body,
    And the life everlasting.
    Amen.

YMMV, and men have made creeds to suit themselves. Keep it simple.
    We need a relationship, not a religion.

Boolit Master
    Some might object to "holy universal church"
    The word catholic simply means universal
    but there is only one Body of Christ, His Bride
    though some have taken that idea and made an empire out of it, or a king.
    I have no Pope nor an Anglican King, no thank you.
    As the hymn goes "Jesus is all".
    As the creed states:
    "I believe in the Holy Spirit"
    is how and why we are saved.

Boolit Master
    today would have been Johnny Cashs 92 birthday
    along with the Highwaymen he sings some awesome songs.
    I DO BELIEVE is one that really ticks the boxes with me,it sums up MY personal feelings about faith better than anything else ever has
    demoninations....yeah agree..yeah nah,no thanks.

Boolit Master

Here is mine if you would like to read it.
    https://bfm.sbc.net/bfm2000/
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

pworley1 yours and mine are one of the same. Thanks for posting.
    It's my understanding that much of the original reason for creeds is that long ago many could not read or write and written scripture was rare for those that could. Chanting a creed was a way the masses could celebrate what they believed.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Here is mine if you would like to read it.
    https://bfm.sbc.net/bfm2000/
    That works really well the way they listed out passages as supporting documentation.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Nines&Twos View Post
    Personally, I don't do ANY denomination. It's either in the word of God or you can go pound sand.
    LOL, never seen it put that way... I guess it gets right to the heart of the matter.

I personally am a chapter and verse kind of fella also.

I do not have book shelves full of Best selling authors
    I do not have memory sticks full of teachings of man
    I do not have stacks of DVDs of the latest in vogue x-file type teachings
    I do not have a YouTube playlist of scholars and teachers so called
    I do not have a file cabinet full of hand written notes, drawings etc.

What I do have is a single book... the KJV Bible (maybe a couple)... some folks say it is hard to read, so I just let it read itself
    I can learn from it and I can teach from it. No need for all that other garbage that takes pieces of the truth and turn it in to doctrines of man.

2Timothy 3:16
    16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Roll Tide

Boolit Bub

I have not....but I wager it's an interesting read. Personally, I don't do ANY denomination. It's either in the word of God or you can go pound sand. I place ZERO value in ritual or traditions of men. I hope i don't come across as judgmental because we all need different things...but I don't care for singing...sit stand clap your hands....outfits NO ONE wears in a normal setting...I personally prefer the Word read, chapter by chapter....Just like the Israelite priests of old did. Anecdotal & topical sermons are a sedative to me. I wanna know what my Father wrote to me in His Word.

The non-biblical ideals I was force fed as a child in the church I was raised in turned me off to 98% of organized religion. ....Now, if you could give me a Church of Smyrna or Philadelphia (Rev chapter 2&3) I'd be on the front pew every time to doors opened with eyes and ears open.
    I'm mostly there with you. I find that sticking to exactly what God's word says is the best way to live. Churches and people get real goofed up when they try to "adjust" scripture to justify things.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

I don't have stacks of books either, but an older printing of a Strongs Concordance and a copy of the Apocrypha I do keep handy. I really want to read the apocrypha some day but rightly dividing the KJV is enough to overload me at the moment. I really like my Companion Study Bible. Bullinger was very smart. I cannot say I agree with everything, he was just a man and I have scarcely made a dent in the Word...but his appendixes are pretty awesome reads.
    He that dasheth in pieces is come up before thy face: keep the munition, watch the way, make thy loins strong, fortify thy power mightily. Nahum 2:1

Boolit Master
    "They were all in one accord" in the beginning of Acts.

Nowadays a church must have a constitution that spells out what it is about.
    Who spends what, who votes what, who replaces whom.
    Who marries what, how and why. Or not.
    Inside that constitution will be a creed, what we believe in accord.
    The world requires we build a sanctuary where all are welcome, so we must have rule of law.
    Another Pastor was shot Sunday. All prayers to him and his family.
    That is prophesy, come to this world we live in.

I don't have stacks of books either, but an older printing of a Strongs Concordance and a copy of the Apocrypha I do keep handy. I really want to read the apocrypha some day but rightly dividing the KJV is enough to overload me at the moment. I really like my Companion Study Bible. Bullinger was very smart. I cannot say I agree with everything, he was just a man and I have scarcely made a dent in the Word...but his appendixes are pretty awesome reads.
    The appendixes are plum awesome.

Boolit Grand Master

I was once meditating on the Infinity of God. Christian meditation is to fill your mind with an issue or thought of God and let your mind explore it. So, I was meditating on the fact that God is infinite - and it struck me that of all the various Christian denominations - those who confess the Trinity - probably none are wrong, we are all just incomplete.

Yes, creeds were established for two reasons - one to teach those who cannot read, and second to combat heresy. We have moved away from creeds and today much of the church literally does not know what they believe. They are ripe for heresy.

It is important today to make sure that the creed or statement of faith posted by the church is actually followed in their teaching and practice. For many churches today that is not the case.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!