WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now that Lathesmith and Magma are gone

Boolit Master
    Received my ammohead .224 star die. punch. and nut the other day. Very nice work.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy

Veral noit dead

Quote Originally Posted by fivegunner View Post
    Is Vearl from LBT Dead???
    No, Veral isn't dead but an accident destroyed most all his equipment so he is out of the mold business but does have some lube. He is 83 or 84.

Check out the LBT website he explaines it all there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tedly View Post
    Retired prototype toolmaker that did machining in my uncles custom gun build shop. Posted here several time to no avail. Somebody send me a drawing , please.
    I will be producing heat treated honed and ground Star dies by June 15th (hopefully). For prints it's simple reverse engineering. The bore size and lub. holes can vary. There will be a learning curve for spring back allowance. The two size lub. holes will be the most time-consuming operation.

Currently I have two variable speed Bridgeport Series 1 mills. One has the shaper slotter head and the other has a cherrying head one the backside. For a lathe I have a Hardinge HLV-H . My heat oven is not wired in yet and in need proper size arbors/mandrels for my Sunnen 650 hone. My compressor is on the small side for sandblasting so I am picking up 80 gallon two Stage tomorrow. Not needed for star bushing I just purchased a surfacer grinder that has to be moved in the basement shop. They have to be vented into the dust collector.

Holding .0002" on the OD and ID won't be a problem.

Originally the star sizers were intended for higher volume usage thus the hardened materials.

Once operational I will be looking at other things like the Ultimate Cannelure Tool. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Cannelure-Tool
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-21-2024 at 09:13 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I will be producing heat treated honed and ground Star dies by June 15th (hopefully). For prints it's simple reverse engineering. The bore size and lub. holes can vary. There will be a learning curve for spring back allowance. The two size lub. holes will be the most time-consuming operation.

Currently I have two variable speed Bridgeport Series 1 mills. One has the shaper slotter head and the other has a cherrying head one the backside. For a lathe I have a Hardinge HLV-H . My heat oven is not wired in yet and in need proper size arbors/mandrels for my Sunnen 650 hone. My compressor is on the small side for sandblasting so I am picking up 80 gallon two Stage tomorrow. Not needed for star bushing I just purchased a surfacer grinder that has to be moved in the basement shop. They have to be vented into the dust collector.

Holding .0002" on the OD and ID won't be a problem.

Originally the star sizers were intended for higher volume usage thus the hardened materials.

Once operation I will be looking at things like the Ultimate Cannelure Tool. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Cannelure-Tool
    IMO the maker of dies need not worry about spring-back. I bought from Magma last November a .309 and a .285. Both shipped with a pure lead slug still loosely sticking inside each die. The .309 slug mic measured .3092. That's EXACTLY what bullets I measured that are literally cast, quenched and dried off (water quench) then sized within a half of a minute of dropping from the mold. The slug from the .285 die measured .2851. Spring-back (IMO) is the result of alloy used and the period of time a caster waits to size boolits after casting. Just lay in a supply of pure lead slugs to check for accurate bore size. Us Star owners would so much appreciate someone taking on the making of quality sizer dies again!

Boolit Buddy
    I just got my Star die, punch and nut with set screw from Ammohead today. Definitely quality work. Installed in press and fit was nice and snug. Ordered a .323 sizing die and by my calipers sized boolits measure .3230. Will not hesitant to order from again.
    Thanks, Floyd

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by floydboy View Post
    I just got my Star die, punch and nut with set screw from Ammohead today. Definitely quality work. Installed in press and fit was nice and snug. Ordered a .323 sizing die and by my calipers sized boolits measure .3230. Will not hesitant to order from again.
    Thanks, Floyd
    Thanks for the kind words Floyd. I am getting the hardening thing down, and I am ready to offer them now for the super high volume guys. Long/lube style and short dies for coated boolits.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Floyd. I am getting the hardening thing down, and I am ready to offer them now for the super high volume guys. Long/lube style and short dies for coated boolits.
    See s&s. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sea...rchid=10543760

I just finished bidding today on the left over sizing dies Magma had in inventory. I didn't get them all. Someone else was bidding against me and was absolutely determined to get the larger lot. But I did win on 2 of the smaller lots, some of which are not drilled for use with lube and are usable only for PC bullets. I'm headed over there tomorrow to pay and pick them up. Eventually I will have them all cataloged and will post them on here for folks to speak up for however many they want to acquire.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Buddy
    so are they all closed down now? I was surprised there were not any other sizer parts listed on the auction. Curious if that inventory is getting shipped down under, or if there just wasn't any.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ranger391xt View Post
    so are they all closed down now? I was surprised there were not any other sizer parts listed on the auction. Curious if that inventory is getting shipped down under, or if there just wasn't any.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Well, Magma has been selling whatever they can since the pandemic, but that hasn't been much. Whatever sizing dies they had in inventory when production halted in late 2020 is what they have been drawing from to ship any out during the time up until recently. As a result, the dies I picked up today are mostly the least popular ones. So for instance,...not a single .355 or .356 or .357 or .358 in the bunch. But I've got a lot of others for things like .30 or .32 or .45-70 and whatnot. I'll be photographing them and cataloging them and posting them up here probably tomorrow.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Hmm.....I was looking for a bullet feeder for my Star to size PC boolits, but no one seems to want to sell me one that they do not use, or they are just not available.....
    So, maybe I should sell my Star which is basically like new with some 45 dies and some 9mm dies.....since without a bullet feeder for the Star, I can size as fast or faster with a single stage press mounted upside down and using Lee push through sizing dies?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    Hmm.....I was looking for a bullet feeder for my Star to size PC boolits, but no one seems to want to sell me one that they do not use, or they are just not available.....
    So, maybe I should sell my Star which is basically like new with some 45 dies and some 9mm dies.....since without a bullet feeder for the Star, I can size as fast or faster with a single stage press mounted upside down and using Lee push through sizing dies?
    You should have no problem selling it. I bid on one recently and it went for more than I was willing to pay...but I already have one. My advice is to check completed sales on eBay and then offer it here for 15% less. Smart people are still using traditional lubes, and the smarter ones are using PC....but maybe I have that reversed?
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You should have no problem selling it. I bid on one recently and it went for more than I was willing to pay...but I already have one. My advice is to check completed sales on eBay and then offer it here for 15% less. Smart people are still using traditional lubes, and the smarter ones are using PC....but maybe I have that reversed?
    Don, you do have it perfectly correct! I do have my RCBS lube sizer still, so if I really wish to start lubing my boolits again, I can always use it again. Thanks for the advice to go the Ebay route, that makes good sense.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    Don, you do have it perfectly correct! I do have my RCBS lube sizer still, so if I really wish to start lubing my boolits again, I can always use it again. Thanks for the advice to go the Ebay route, that makes good sense.
    I just noticed you are in South Africa. A Star will likely go for a lot more money in your area so I would try selling it locally if you have some kind of local shooting site. Do you have eBay in SA (pardon my ignorance)? Offering it here makes no sense. I imagine shipping will be expensive.

Unless you need the money, I would keep it. If no one fills the gap, Stars will go up in value as there is nothing better for lubing/sizing. And you may want to go back to "the old ways" down the road.

Good luck!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    I posted in that thread, but realize you may not have seen it, so posting here:

What is the diameter of the:

Star top punch 1/2"-27 pitch. $25

I am wondering if it can be used for 9mm. I assume so, but I know different sizes were made to fit different dies (I have a .445 punch with the .452 die)

Boolit Grand Master
    Ammohead is great to deal with. He made me a custom die to size for my ML'ing. When I need it, I'll be going back to him.

Boolit Master
    I use the short sizer dies in my Magma size master for the HITEK coated bullets. Really keen to see if Ammohead will ship short dies to Australia. I'm not sure if the Aussie owners of the Magma will be making short dies.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeck22 View Post
    I posted in that thread, but realize you may not have seen it, so posting here:

What is the diameter of the:

Star top punch 1/2"-27 pitch. $25

I am wondering if it can be used for 9mm. I assume so, but I know different sizes were made to fit different dies (I have a .445 punch with the .452 die)
    I can make any diameter punch you need under .500" pm me.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I use the short sizer dies in my Magma size master for the HITEK coated bullets. Really keen to see if Ammohead will ship short dies to Australia. I'm not sure if the Aussie owners of the Magma will be making short dies.
    I can make them but you will have to pay postage. Pm me.

Boolit Master

May I inquire what a "short" sizing die for the Magma is? I can understand not needing the full length sizing die for a boolit that is either powder coated or HITEK coated but the next boolit is going to push the previously coated boolit out. Or is the object of a short sizing die to have one boolit complete the travel through the sizing die without another boolit pushing the previously coated boolit out? Big Boomer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast