WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tisas "Aviator" .45 ACP

Boolit Master

Tisas "Aviator" .45 ACP

I was browsing the Interwebs and spotted this two-toned Lightweight Commander clone. It is a bargain. My first thought, when I opened the box at the shop, was, “Is it 1980 again?” The Aviator looks like a lightly customized Colt of that era, with a white-colored frame, tall sights, and black rubber grips.
    The sights are nicely visible, and the trigger is surprisingly good. The finish on the frame isn't slick, which means the front strap gives you a little bit of purchase and doesn't try to squirm out of your hand. Thumb safety is the 1970s Colt style, not extended, but not just a little nub, either. The magazine well has a slight bevel on it. Mine came with two Mec-Gar 7 round magazines, which appear to be set up for feeding JHPs.
    I after I picked it up at the shop, I took it home and lubed it, as it arrived rather dry. I dashed off to the local shooting spot as the sun was setting and ran two magazines of factory 230 gr. FMJ through it, with no malfunctions. The sights were on target at 25 yards and accuracy looks promising. Fired cases were not mangled, and in fact didn’t even have a mouth dent. I like it.

P.S. Yes, it's made in Turkey, which accounts for its low price. Not to get political, but Turkey has been straddling the fence between the USA and Russia for a while now. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington abruptly shuts off sporting arms and ammo imports from Turkey, like they did to Russia and China. Get it while you can.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TISAS_Aviator 45 ACP.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	323761
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 02-23-2024 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added picture
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Buddy

A friend with a Tisas asked to look at his. Tore it down and was impressed with everything. I would buy one if I could find a reason to get another 1911. Sent him out with different mags and ammo. Problems gone. GW

Boolit Master
    I purchased another model for my first 45ACP a few yrs ago. Been happy so far and haven't handled any other 1911 to compare to but mine has functioned fine with all my handloads, been some learning curves but today it will eat what i feed it.

Vendor Sponsor

Don't mistake the barrel for stainless, it is CrMo4 and harder than woodpecker lips. Ruined one reamer thinking it was SS surprise surprise... grrr,,
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadWoodDan View Post
    I purchased another model for my first 45ACP a few yrs ago. Been happy so far and haven't handled any other 1911 to compare to but mine has functioned fine with all my handloads, been some learning curves but today it will eat what i feed it.
    My experience with a Tisas 1911 is the same.

I really like my Tisas .45 Tank Commander- all steel.
    That alloy frame one would be good for carrying with its lighter weight.

They are built well. I took off the walnut grips to avoid damage to them while walking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always liked the looks of the two tone 1911's. I wanted a Colt combat elite but couldn't afford one when Colt had them on the market in the late 1980's.

I have no real use for a Commander sized .45 right now, but since when has that been relevant?

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Been waiting on the Tisas Regulator for awhile now. 38 super/9mm in one package. Supposedly have a decent reputation which seems to be echoed by the comments.

Buds Gunshop had the Tisas Sting Ray in 45 on sale for $430 the other day. That's the Commander length one also with an aluminum frame and the "bob tail".
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    Buds Gunshop had the Tisas Sting Ray in 45 on sale for $430 the other day. That's the Commander length one also with an aluminum frame and the "bob tail".
    Wow, that is a good price! I didn't know Tisas was offering aluminum frames in any other models. I'm still happy I got the Aviator, as it takes me back to my younger days, when me and Ronald Reagan were beating the Russians, girls had big hair, and V-8 engines made 200 horsepower.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

I have the newest 1911a1 army with the correct ejection port and us property markings.
    I also have the Tank Commander in .45 and just bought the Aviator that I haven't shot
    yet. They are very fine guns and they are killing the 1911 market.
    Check out Family Firearms, they have the best prices I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I have the newest 1911a1 army with the correct ejection port and us property markings.
    I also have the Tank Commander in .45 and just bought the Aviator that I haven't shot
    yet. They are very fine guns and they are killing the 1911 market.
    Check out Family Firearms, they have the best prices I have found.
    I'm curious, will your new 1911A1 plunk a cast bullet fine, or do you think it'll need to be throated?
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Cast is all I shoot in my guns. I was shooting the 200 gr RCBS #68 clone and they "plunk" fine.
    I had the first Tisas 1911 a1 Army that came out in 2019 and it wouldn't plunk certain cast
    bullets. I had to have the barrel throated. But I haven't had any problem with the newer guns.
    I also use the Lee 200 gr RNFP with no problem.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a couple of Tisa and still have one. They have been very good imho. Quite happy with them.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Have a 9mm commander steel frame but I'd really like a 38 super aluminum frame commander.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Tisas is no joke, we instantly sell out as soon as we get them in at my side job. No returns that I am aware of and way nicer than the RIA guns for the same price.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I want a Tisas, and will eventually buy one, but they DO have a recall going on right now, see if your guns are on the list.

https://tisasusa.com/tisas-safety-recall-2024-0001/

Boolit Master

Y'all have me convinced. Just ordered a "service special" in .45.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Own 4. Three are 45’s, one is a basic model, then a mid range, and finally the Match model. Also have one of their 1911’s in 10 mm.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Don't mistake the barrel for stainless, it is CrMo4 and harder than woodpecker lips. Ruined one reamer thinking it was SS surprise surprise... grrr,,
    Doug,

Do they come throated for cast or do they have that hideous sharp start into the rifling?

I am really tempted by the Tank Commander.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast