RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forester Co-Ax

Boolit Master

Forester Co-Ax

I love this press. It is very easy to use. The only thing I didn't like about it was the "ergonomics" made it difficult to insert or remove the brass from the sides due to the linkage pieces. Then someone told me about the new curved linkage plates and I added them to the press. Total game changer!!!!
    If you have a Co-Ax, buy the new linkage.
    East Tennessee

My Co-Ax is my favorite press. I really like sliding adjusted dies in and out, and maintaining their settings. I do use a Lee hand primer. Recently I did get and older Dillon SDB, pretty darn good for pistol ammo production! hc18flyer

Boolit Bub
    I’ve looked at that press pretty hard. I’ve kind of pre planned its possibility in the future. I’ve exchanged all of my die lock rings for the Forster’s. That’s a step anyway.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav-n-Tn View Post
    I’ve looked at that press pretty hard. I’ve kind of pre planned its possibility in the future. I’ve exchanged all of my die lock rings for the Forster’s. That’s a step anyway.
    I would go as far as say its the perfect press for 30-06 rounds and smaller. I'll never get rid of mine. I been told the newer presses come with the new curved linkage pieces.
    East Tennessee

The Co Ax is by far and away my favorite press; and I have owned, or owned, just about every brand on the planet. While it is not as portable as some, it is the fastest (single stage) and sturdiest press on the market (IMHO). What makes the new "curved linkage" pieces so much better than the "old?" (Give me some reasons for improving on "perfection".)

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought mine decades ago. My first press. I was a poor student but decided to buy once cry once. Paid $68...that is etched in my mind because it was a lot of money for me back then.

Like others have said, it will be here when I die. I hate priming on it and used hand primers until I got an RCBS bench prime a few years ago.

Interestingly, it seems almost all the presses available back then (over 50 years ago) are gone except for the RCBS RC. I have an RC I got from a guy who was giving up reloading but do not reload on it. Use it to size military cases.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I would go as far as say its the perfect press for 30-06 rounds and smaller. I'll never get rid of mine. I been told the newer presses come with the new curved linkage pieces.
    The Forster, Midway, and Amazon web sites all show the Co-Ax press with straight linkages. Forster shows the curved linkages as accessory items.

Boolit Master

I've been looking at these for years: https://inlinefabrication.com/produc...ages-for-co-ax but didn't see how having those prongs sticking out made them much better than the standard straight ones. No doubt the Forster curved linkages look way more better and cheaper too.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Some curved link arms do not have those horns:

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...r-co-ax-press/

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    These are the linkage pieces I purchased.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/155573181549
    The curve allows a reloader to reach in easier from either side to insert or remove a case and bullet.

Total game changer for this press IMO. They also include 4 clips. It is an easy 3-4 minute install to change out both pieces. I could never go back to the straight linkage pieces again.

This video will make you click the "Buy it now" button:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4fWTPkUHt0
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 02-25-2024 at 11:44 AM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Mold
    I'm using my father's co-ax. It's been around for a long time but I prefer it over my hornady lock n load progressive press.

I have a Co-Ax I bought about 20 years ago, and I really like it for rifle reloading.
    I confess I never used the primer function, I made a plate to bolt to the primer bars, and use it to push a rod through a 357 sizer die, and full size my brass. I was shooting revolver with USPSA, and it helped speed up the reloads! I don't use it anymore, my friend has a rollsizer that works great!

Boolit Grand Master
    May sound strange, but I have one and have never used it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    May sound strange, but I have one and have never used it.
    As a new press on the used market you could get a handsome sum for it.

I wish they were not as popular as they presently are because I can not order one due to being out of stock just about every where right now.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I wish they were not as popular as they presently are because I can not order one due to being out of stock just about every where right now.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102661583?pid=484993

Available at Midway. (Not)
    Last edited by Tatume; 03-01-2024 at 04:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    That is the new “jumbo version” of the Co-Ax. Not the press under discussion
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    The one I have is not new.
    Got it with a bunch of stuff from a house clean out.
    But I've never used it.
    Looks like a good sturdy press.
    Maybe someday I'll get around to using it.
    Have a few others that I've never tried.
    Was a good haul.
    I'm kind of a tool junky.

Have any of you guys tried “angling” the press one way or the other so the handle isn’t coming straight at you? I don’t want to reinvent the wheel…
    Tony

Boolit Mold
    A little off topic, but I have one of the Frankford Arsenal knock-offs that works pretty well after a few modifications. Not a Forster Co-Ax, but a cheap alternative. Cheers.

Boolit Master
    When I got into competitive shooting I loaded on a Rock Chucker and used a RCBS 302 scale and did my load development testing in the backyard. The guys at the range that had shot for years and won about everything used a Bonanza Co-Ax press, lee or RCBS hand prime, Neal Jones powder measure which they used at the bench to do load development. The press would be attached to a board and clamped to the bench or a table behind the firing line. They'd check the powder weight limits of the powder measure with a balance beam scale before leaving home. Most used ball powder, or short cut extruded powder. Most times they exchanged load data for their powder in the number from the powder measure. Most of this was copied from the benchrest crowd who loaded as they shot matches to keep up with temperature and humidity changes as the day wore on. They'd find cases that worked great in their gun and keep reloading them over and over again with minimal resizing of the case. The Co-ax was developed and built by BR shooters for BR shooters. The alternative was to use Wilson hand dies and chase all the parts and pieces around the bench. When your trying to mind reloading while waiting on a condition to return downrange, it's easy for loose stuff to go missing, or roll off and hit the concrete. Anyway, Co-ax is a great press that produces consistent results and does the die change thing quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast