Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 1885- 1886

On water northern Mn . 1903.colt's Avatar

Winchester 1885- 1886

These two leverguns came out of the same little shop in Backus Minnesota two years apart, The low wall 1885 is 38/40 the 1886 is 40/82 the 1886 came in on a rainy October day staining the grey patina . Both rifles are in shooting rotation on my home range - I hand load Black powder metallic cartridge with Ideal - mold loading tools - such a joy ! Both rifles have no cracks in wood , screw heads unmarked, original stock finish . The 1885 is dead on at a 100 yards - the 1886 is still in workup . I shooting my soft lead powder coated cast Boolits . People when you find old guns leave them as is , enough Turnbull guns keeping the waters muddy !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0338.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	323665

Very nice!
    Keep them original

Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    Very nice!
    Keep them original
    Any snow up in them parts !

Very little, and less every day.
    Still some ice for fishing though

Boolit Master
    I agree on the turnbull guns that stuff is way over the top !!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have 5 86's but my holy grail for some reason is a 40-82. You have a couple great pieces there. Personally I dont want a 140 year old rifle that looks brand new, I prefer used but not abused....with an occasional one that has lived a HARD life. My favorite 30-30 was purchased of a ranch in Montana and it looks rode hard and put away wet...but still shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by fordwannabe View Post
    I have 5 86's but my holy grail for some reason is a 40-82. You have a couple great pieces there. Personally I dont want a 140 year old rifle that looks brand new, I prefer used but not abused....with an occasional one that has lived a HARD life. My favorite 30-30 was purchased of a ranch in Montana and it looks rode hard and put away wet...but still shoots.
    I enjoy shooting 40/82 more than any other Black Powder Metallic Cartridge I own . My loads chambered right off the mark I did use a Ideal tool in my subjective opinion this was key .
    03hummerh2 is a backslider caution Will Robinson

Very nice originals. Can't beat all the honest wear and character.

I like my modern manufactured Turnbull finished Winchester 1892, but it'd have to be a mighty rough gun for me to take an original and have it refinished. The new made guns that are finished with the old finishes gives you an interesting view into what the original guns might have looked like, without removing an original out of circulation.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-22-2024 at 05:01 PM.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Very nice originals. Can't be all the honest wear and character.

I like my modern manufactured Turnbull finished Winchester 1892, but it'd have to be a mighty rough gun for me to take an original and have it refinished. The new made guns that are finished with the old finishes gives you an interesting view into what the original guns might have looked like, without removing an original out of circulation.
    Turnbull are art craftsmanship there's room for everyone If I offended anyone I apologize . I should have a little more relaxed in my very subjective opinion !
    03hummerh2 is a backslider caution Will Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by 1903.colt View Post
    Turnbull are art craftsmanship there's room for everyone If I offended anyone I apologize . I should have a little more relaxed in my very subjective opinion !
    Thanks. Guns bring out the passion from us all - especially antique Winchesters. I don't own any original Winchesters, but I sure would like to. I like to look through R.L. Wilson's book Winchester.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thanks. Guns bring out the passion from us all - especially antique Winchesters. I don't own any original Winchesters, but I sure would like to. I like to look through R.L. Wilson's book Winchester.
    I dont have a problem with turnbulls either the work is amazing
    The pictures we see are show guns I could not take something that fancy and expensive out in the field and do with it what a gun is made for . Somebody else has the money to get one and the inclination to take it out in the bush one rainy day ? more power to em!

I have shot my Turnbull finished Winchester 92 during a bit of light sprinkle, the same as I'd do any other gun. I don't particularly like taking any gun out in the rain.

I wonder if the owners of those original Winchesters had trepidation about using them when they were new and pretty? I'd say some did, and some didnt, just like today.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Kind of like a new car. You baby it until it gets its first dent then you can relax. I take nice guns out in the rain if that is what the day calls for but just got to know that you will have to get it dry and oil it. Rain does not hurt a gun, neglect does. I do kind of prefer guns that have already had their first ding or scrape. I have some guns I love that have barely any finish remaining. There is something heartwarming about a gun where the finish replaced with a soft patina. I have a #4 Rem. RB that you would think was browned. Not pitted or scratched just bluing is gone and the surface is now brown. The stock is kind of rough with dings and such but I hesitate to sand and refinish as it would just not match. Anyone know how to refinish a stock to make it look nice without making it look new? I have some old revolvers that I often fantasize having the Turnbull treatment. I will probably never get it done. I love them shiny or dull as long as they still go bang. I got some that don't go bang right now and I am working to make them talk again.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

I rub the stocks with warmed linseed oil. Bought a can at a yardsale 50 years ago and it is still serving well. Does not take much at all. Not a "soaking".
    That simple process was used for many long years by Michigan hunters. I am over 70 and that was trickled down information I heard at 14 from very old Grampa Fikes (a neighbor) who was around 90 years old.
    Plus you can read the old history of areas. Whatever "oils" (bear, racoon, otter, corn cruncher, hog .....) were available people used. Nothing was bought that was naturally produced at home or traded for.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    I rub the stocks with warmed linseed oil. Bought a can at a yardsale 50 years ago and it is still serving well. Does not take much at all. Not a "soaking".
    That simple process was used for many long years by Michigan hunters. I am over 70 and that was trickled down information I heard at 14 from very old Grampa Fikes (a neighbor) who was around 90 years old.
    Plus you can read the old history of areas. Whatever "oils" (bear, racoon, otter, corn cruncher, hog .....) were available people used. Nothing was bought that was naturally produced at home or traded for.
    I have finished stocks with linseed oil but I have never tried it on a already finished stock or do you mean I should sand off the current finish and refinish it. I don't want to do that because it will look too good I just want to clean the stock, remove some dents and cover some scratches but keep the original finish. I think dents can be removed with a hot iron and a damp rag, I have scratch cover or can make some to match whatever finish but I was wondering what will clean the stock of the deep grime and congealed oil without removing the original finish. I guess I can start with Murphy's Oil Soap.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Removing dents with steam works best if there is no finish. If you don't remove the finish result likely will not be reliable, either the finish will be damaged or the dent may remain.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Formby's lemon oil treatment is good for cleaning stocks and replacing the woods natural oil.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Linseed oil is actually flax seed oil - and flax was grown everywhere for fabric. It was thus routinely available.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Beautiful rifles indeed! I wish they could talk.
    JW
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    Beautiful rifles indeed! I wish they could talk.
    JW
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast