Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Primers?

Boolit Master
    I had a brick of cci small pistol primers that I had the same problem with! If you search the forum you will find my thread about it and cci’s response! They told me my guns were broken and I didn’t know how to reload properly! Anything but the primers! There senior tech told , and I “cci has never had an issue with any of there products. There primers are always perfect “! Three different hand guns all failed to go bang. Absolutely no problem with the hand guns when I use any other primers! I thought maybe they miss labeled small rifle primers for small pistol primers. Maybe even their military primers labeled as small pistol primers. After seeing that you had the same issue with L.R. Primers who know! I stopped using cci primers!
    Anyway, I feel your pain! I had to break down 1,000 rounds of pistol ammo! 9x10, 9x19, and 39 special. What a pain in the rear end!
    Good luck!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Don’t worry poppy I had only 2 rounds.
    I usually only load up what I will need at any time.

The cci lrp work well in my h&r 30-30 break open rifle.
    I may have some other product name ones as well but would have to look around.

I only pulled the bolt apart a few years ago and for the life of me I can’t understand how water or rust could have formed in there.

cci primers are a little thicker than some and in small rifle or pistol round if you have bad pressure signs with them then you are way too hot.

I have used them for years as they were usually cheap and made good groups with them.

I got several thousand magtec pistol primers real cheap at a sale. No one wanted them or interested.
    They all said they were good thou but they had heaps.
    I ended up throwing precious cases away as I thought the primer pockets were too loose.
    It was the primers diameter. And if they nearly fell in the case I would just toss the primer out.
    The good ones worked o.k. Thou.
    About 90% were good at 1/3rd price so I did well.

Mike H you’re welcome anytime.

Cheers
    Last edited by barrabruce; 02-22-2024 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I had a brick of cci small pistol primers that I had the same problem with! If you search the forum you will find my thread about it and cci’s response! They told me my guns were broken and I didn’t know how to reload properly! Anything but the primers! There senior tech told , and I “cci has never had an issue with any of there products. There primers are always perfect “! Three different hand guns all failed to go bang. Absolutely no problem with the hand guns when I use any other primers! I thought maybe they miss labeled small rifle primers for small pistol primers. Maybe even their military primers labeled as small pistol primers. After seeing that you had the same issue with L.R. Primers who know! I stopped using cci primers!
    Anyway, I feel your pain! I had to break down 1,000 rounds of pistol ammo! 9x10, 9x19, and 39 special. What a pain in the rear end!
    Good luck!
    Anything is possible but in 400K rds loaded over 45 years, the only bad primers I have had were Wolf spp. About 10% failure rate. Either no compound or no anvil. I have never had a Win, CCi, Rem or Fed fail. Went thru my first 1200 Fiocchi, no issues in several pistol. Most of the time its the reloaders technique, sometimes its the gun but pretty rare for primers to fail if they have been stored properly.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

My only primer problems in my history of handloading was with Winchester LRP's. They seated in the pocket but it could be done with the softest of force. CCI;s required the normal force so I mic'd them and they were about 1/2 thousandths under sized. I called Olin and a very nice lady asked me to zero and clean my mic anvil and re-measure while we were on the phone. She agreed and sent a UPS label and a voucher for another 1K primers. No problem since.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12