Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever put a shell deflector on an SKS ?

Anyone ever put a shell deflector on an SKS ?

I'd like to add a scope but since the shells fly pretty much straight up with a good amount of force, a scope becomes a problem.

I'd like it to wear an older Redfield TV scope that I really like, great eastern woods hunting scope! It will sit too far back making it uncomfortable to shoot. I need to move it forward, but the ejecting shells will wreck it.

I don't want a laser or a red dot

The few deflectors I looked at online looked like they could bounce the empty back into the action, which would be bad
    Might have just been the photos

Most look like cheap sheet metal, this one, by Addley Precision, looks a bit more what I'm interested in

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png.0589f0e1d65b2283b85d76b4ab9f72dd.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	323613
    I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

I think this is probably the best way to scope an SKS.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 22-38-33 unnamed.jpg (JPEG Image 512 × 384 pixels).png 
Views:	21 
Size:	470.0 KB 
ID:	323615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 22-38-33 unnamed.jpg (JPEG Image 512 × 384 pixels).png 
Views:	21 
Size:	470.0 KB 
ID:	323615
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

No need for a shell defector.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 22-44-39 https __preview.redd.it_m8dsf94zykc81.jpg width 3024&format pj.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	485.6 KB 
ID:	323616
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    i put a strip of inner tube on the bottom of the scope on i
    other sks has a compact scope thats back far enough to not get hit by brass and use stripper clips

A scope on an SKS is awkward at best.
    A decent scope like your Redfield will have to be on a custom side mount.
    And the handiness of the SKS suffers.
    Just my opinion from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A scope on an SKS is awkward at best.
    A decent scope like your Redfield will have to be on a custom side mount.
    And the handiness of the SKS suffers.
    Just my opinion from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Also, I thought we had moved past "Bubba'ing" SKS at this point...

I've had mixed results back in the day with scopes on an SKS. Never had a shell deflector, but didn't need one with the short scope I used at the time. Accuracy was decent within 100-150yds. At one point I took a turkey with a neck shot with it. The gun came like that when I bought it from a coworker. Ultimately decided I didn't care for it much, and ended up getting a new top cover that didn't have the scope rail. Still got the SKS today, and recently finished getting rid of all the TAPCO furniture that was on the rifle, replacing with proper Chinese stock and handguard.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    I've got a type 56 that's completely stock, and that's the way I like it. I want it to kick the steel case empties up into low Earth orbit because being 100% reliable is it's main selling point. The factory sights are quick to acquire. There's no hassles trying to weasel rounds past a scope while reloading. no awkward neck cants trying to get a sight picture through a side mount scope. Just point and shoot. Accuracy (at least with mine) is surprisingly good at 100 yards. If you want a good woods rifle loose the bling and use it stock. Once you get it sighted in, stop shooting from the bench and practice shooting offhand. Really quickly you'll see that this is what the rifle was made for, and before you know it you'll be able to hit your targets with confidence with the factory sights.

Boolit Buddy
    The best way to scope an SKS is to buy a different rifle...

Since we will never see the Molot version, this is probably the closest thing available. I might give one a try. I could use some experience on drilling and riveting rails anyways.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 11-29-18 Side mount rail SKS – for scope bracket.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	323674

Boolit Master

@jdgabbard; want to sell the TAPCO stuff? Sorry for the impropriety, forgot how to PM!

Disregard!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    @jdgabbard; want to sell the TAPCO stuff? Sorry for the impropriety, forgot how to PM!

Disregard!
    Responded to your PM.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master
    I like my several SKS arms, both Russian and Chinese, and all are short range guns in deference to the cartridge. A scope is not needed in my experience. I retired my DCM M1 Carbine long ago when I got my first SKS. A better farm gun is not to be had, in my opinion. I reload both cast and J bullets for the SKS.

My Polaris Ranger will not start until the SKS is in the gun rack inboard. The coyotes love the SKS! LOL.
    Be well.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    If you want a good woods rifle loose the bling and use it stock. Once you get it sighted in, stop shooting from the bench and practice shooting offhand. Really quickly you'll see that this is what the rifle was made for, and before you know it you'll be able to hit your targets with confidence with the factory sights.
    My confidence in this rifle is pretty good. I got lucky with a very accurate one (back when they were $99)
    I immediately lost the wood put a synthetic sporter stock on it, added a scope, and took a deer.

FWIW, I never did that again, it's just not enough gun. I got lucky with the deer, the shot was good, would have dropped it with my .308, but the little bullet in the sks nicked the shoulder blade and came apart, a large fragment went up and cut the spinal cord at the base of the neck. Dropped like a sack of potatoes, still had a full bladder when I cleaned it. Lucky
    Last edited by Sudsy; 02-22-2024 at 09:52 PM.

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

So forget the shell deflector or side mount - this is something I hadn't considered.
    Anyone converted their SKS to a bullpup ?

This looks interesting
    Pug III SKS Bullpup Kit

Name:	Pug III SKS Bullpup Kit.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	323737

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
    My confidence in this rifle is pretty good. I got lucky with a very accurate one (back when they were $99)
    I immediately lost the wood put a synthetic sporter stock on it, added a scope, and took a deer.

FWIW, I never did that again, it's just not enough gun. I got lucky with the deer, the shot was good, would have dropped it with my .308, but the little bullet in the sks nicked the shoulder blade and came apart, a large fragment went up and cut the spinal cord at the base of the neck. Dropped like a sack of potatoes, still had a full bladder when I cleaned it. Lucky
    Out of curiosity, what type of ammo were you using? Don't mean to sound confrontational, but I've see the x39 used on deer quite a bit. A guy I knew for years before he died a few years back, used a Mini-30 to take deer here in Oklahoma every year. Of course, most deer here are whitetails, and probably average around 110-120lbs dressed. But there are larger ones as well...some in the 150-180lb range (again, this is weighed dressed). For the longest time here in Oklahoma the rifle that probably claimed more deer than any other was a Winchester 94 with a 20" barrel in 30-30, loaded with 150gr soft points. Most of those are probably only going 2200fps, so not real far off ballistically from the x39.

Unfortunately it was so long ago I no longer remember (Give you an idea how long, I had just bought the gun covered in cosmoline for $99 a few months previous)

All I remember that it was a dedicated hunting round made by one of the big name companies
    There was a deer on the box

And I didn't phrase that quite right, it's too little gun "for me".
    I want to be confident that the animal is going down hard and staying down.
    That little bullet doesn't do it for me

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately it was so long ago I no longer remember (Give you an idea how long, I had just bought the gun covered in cosmoline for $99 a few months previous)

All I remember that it was a dedicated hunting round made by one of the big name companies
    There was a deer on the box

And I didn't phrase that quite right, it's too little gun "for me".
    I want to be confident that the animal is going down hard and staying down.
    That little bullet doesn't do it for me
    Not sure what brand that would be. I have some 7.62x54R hunting ammo that is similar, steal cased with a hunter and a deer on the front of the box...at least I think it's a deer. Never have shot any of it. Came with a 91/30 I bought 20+ years ago.

But yeah, I understand. x39 isn't going to drop them where they stand most of the time. But it's definitely an adequate round. I always liked the .243 for whitetail, as it was very flat shooting, and worked well for where I set my stand - overlooking a long pasture. But the last few times I've gone I've taken my 30-06, as it is what I had been shooting the most.

What I will not hunt with is the .223, I've had to track too many deer too far to think of it as a reliable hunting round for deer. It kills them, but seems like I always have to start looking for blood trails which go on forever. Although, I got a good friend who has used a 22-250 for decades now, and swears by it. Personally, for me, 30-06, 30-30, 243, or 270 are my go to rounds. I don't own a .308, the 30-06 can do everything the .308 can and more. But I wouldn't not take a shot if I had a x39.

But I suppose I've gotten off topic enough...

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Personally, for me, 30-06, 30-30, 243, or 270 are my go to rounds. I don't own a .308, the 30-06 can do everything the .308 can and more. But I wouldn't not take a shot if I had a x39.
    I'm with you 100%
    .308 and 30-06 are my go to calibers.

The SKS is my "Sh#t hits the fan" gun and plinking toy

Boolit Grand Master

The SKS is my "Sh#t hits the fan" gun and plinking toy
    .....and the SKS suffices very nicely for both of those......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast