Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: 158 Topper in 410

Boolit Master

158 Topper in 410

Well is the title says I just picked up an H&R topper 158 in 410. Couldn’t resist the price as I’ve been looking for a single shot 410 to match my granddaughters 410 so we can go hunting together. That way she and Poppy will be shooting the same gauge gun. It seems I’m getting quite a collection. There’s her NEF 410, which was actually the first firearm I ever purchased for my son, her father, back when he was about 12. It has now been re-fitted with the youth stock ( she is a little bit younger and considerably smaller than my son was at 12. She’s nine )and passed down to my granddaughter! Then there’s the 12 gauge NEF that I had the barrel stubbed and turned into a 357 maximum. And now I have my very own H&R model 158 topper in 410! Anyway mildly excited because this is the first firearm I’ve ever purchased that doesn’t have a serial number! It was manufactured prior to 1968 (1967 to be exact) and didn’t need one. I’m just a little curious anybody out there have any idea what an H&R 158 topper in 410 cost in 1967? I’ve seen some old ads from back in the day posted previously that would be great if someone had one of those. Or even if someone had an original manual if they even came with one back then. Anyway send me a PM if you like and let me know what you got.
    Thanks in advance.
    Poppy 42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    be sure to pattern a few different loads and find out what it likes best..the wee .410 can be a fussy wee tart,but when you get loads they like...vastly underrated. mine have all hated #5 with vengence and #7 not much better.
    a 2 1/2" 1/2oz load of #4 was better killing pattern than 3" shell with 3/4oz#6....only the pattern board at 25 yards told why....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    be sure to pattern a few different loads and find out what it likes best..the wee .410 can be a fussy wee tart,but when you get loads they like...vastly underrated. mine have all hated #5 with vengence and #7 not much better.
    a 2 1/2" 1/2oz load of #4 was better killing pattern than 3" shell with 3/4oz#6....only the pattern board at 25 yards told why....
    Oh yah I’ve got experience with 410. Not my first rodeo so to speak. Heck of a lot of fun! Finding factory shells, not so much! Fortunately I roll my own!

My H&R Topper Jr model 490 cost my Dad and I $45 ( we each paid half) in 1972.
    My wife claims it now.
    I also have three stub rifles built from Toppers, a .218 Bee, a .256 Win, and a 44-40.
    Toppers are great shotguns IMO/E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold

158 Topper in 410

I bought mine new between 1967 and 1968 . It cost me $27 with a box of Western shot shells out the door of our local hardware store . I was 13 years old at the time and able to buy it with money from raising livestock on the farm . I still have it .

Boolit Master
    So I’ve got a little experience with H&R’s and NEF’s as I posted in my op. Well this one is a first in a few things. It’s the first one I’ve seen, or managed to own, that has a factory recoil pad on it! It’s the first one that dose not have a lifter and a striker/ transfer bar. It has a rebounding hammer that impacts the firing pin directly. I have to admit that was a surprise. Like I said I’ve never seen one like ke this. At least it has less parts for me to loose when I tear it down to clean it, believe me it needs to be CLEANED Lol! The oil, in some places, looks more like varnished and it does oil lol. So here’s the point of all this. With all these little differences it got me thinking, (that by itself is a scary thought! Me thinking lol!) when was this little shotgun actually made? A little research led me to H&R’s date codes. Low and behold it seems my H&R model 158 Topper in .410 was made in 1967! Yes that’s right 1967. That’s before the infamous GVA of 1968! That’s right folks no serial number lol! So according to the idiot in Washington, if a evil doing person of nefarious intent should show up at my residence I should “ go out on the porch, fire a couple rounds ( in my case one round cause unlike joe the bozo, this shotgun isn’t a double barrel) into the air and all the bad guys for miles and miles will run for there lives at the sound of my shotgun! Now wait for it, after this lengthy post, I’ll be firing that round into the air with a GHOST GUN!!!!!!! Cause it ain’t got no serial number! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha lol!
    Sorry but I really couldn’t resist! I tried!

Boolit Grand Master
    I was going to guess about $25-30 but FDC already proved that guess. Mine is based on Dad paying $44.88 for two Model 58's in December of 1975 at Walmart, for my brother and I.

In my experience, you are better off with the older style rebounding hammer than with the newer transfer bar style. Every single transfer bar I have been around has broken, my old rebounding hammer just keeps going. I now keep a spare set of parts.

IIRC H&R started using the transfer bar in the mid to late 1970's.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I own several 410 shotguns and hope you use it within its Limitations. Whatever you hunt with a 410 needs to be very close. In 1958 I got my first 410 and found out its limitations.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    I own several 410 shotguns and hope you use it within its Limitations. Whatever you hunt with a 410 needs to be very close. In 1958 I got my first 410 and found out its limitations.

Be well.

Adam

Adam,
    Every thing has it’s limitations,including me lol. So yes not my first rodeo I’m quite aware of the limitations of a 410 shotgun. Although With the popularity of TSS shot the 410 has become quite a preferred shotgun for turkey hunting at 50 yards, Believe it or not. I on the other hand prefer my 12 gauge as I’m not really thrilled about spending 10 bucks around for a 410 shells. I picked this shotgun up more because it’s fun to shoot and as I stated earlier my granddaughter and I will have the same caliber shotgun. Can’t really call it a gauge because 410 is not a gauge it’s a bore diameter! If you wanted to list it as a gauge of you more like an 67 or 68 gauge!

Apparently H&R thought differently because my 158 Topper .410 says “.410 Gauge” on top of the chamber…..
    At least they didn’t stamp “67-1/2 Gauge” on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk