Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25-20 question

Boolit Master

25-20 question

Does anyone have any loading data for the 25-20 cartridge? I have looked in every manual I have and found nothing. My nephew has a very nice '92 Winchester in that caliber and I have the bras but no info. I would like to load some ammo so he can shoot the rifle.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

There is info for lead projectiles in the lyman cast bullet book.

One of the free Lyman manuals you can download from online has all you need. It's from years ago, but most all the powders are fairly current to today.
    Lyman #44 manual

Boolit Master

I have recently found a website that has data for most cartridges and I believe to be data compiled from powder manufacturers. I believe the 25-20 is listed. The site is Shootersreference.com. Take a look and see what you think.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Thank you, gentleman. On Cast Boolits all you need to do is ask.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Hornady #3 has a very small amount of jacketed data; 2400 and 4227 with the 60gr soft point - which is an extremely rare component BTW.

Lee #2 has a wide variety of loads, both jacketed and cast. Feel free to PM me if you want a screenshot of those pages.

Boolit Master

Go to the Marlin Owners website and find the forum on " 25-20 Reloaders " - You will find 87 pages of info with load data & other invaluable information on reloading for 25-20 - Best info on the web for 25-20 - BAR NONE. It'll take you days to get through all of it
    Last edited by square butte; 02-19-2024 at 07:02 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

What square butte said.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

There is a lot of published data out there. Both older and more up to date. Both hodgdon and lee have several loads. Ive been loading 8gr 2400 w 86gr jsp for years. This load is very close to factory remington ammo. For cast I like the NOE 260283 85gr gcfp with 8gr 4227.

Boolit Bub
    Find a copy of Ken Waters' Pet Loads from Handloader magazine.

Boolit Master

Pet Loads in the book form is a great source for almost any cartridge an old guy could be interested in & some of the best bed time reading there is.....

Boolit Buddy

I have an old Lyman Cast Bullet handbook that has loadings for 25-20WCF. My old 1892 Winchester will only shoot jacketed boolits as the bore is too rough for cast alloy. Luckey to have a buddy that had two new boxes of 60gr Hornady 25 caliber jacketed boolits he gave me. There is a great book by Mike McPhearson that is fairly recent that is a wealth of hand loader information. Mike has experimented with a lot of modern propellants and listed his results. Good luck! 25-20 WCF is a great little varmint cartridge. Too bad the reloading components are scarce.

Try a gas checked cast bullet of 85 grains or so and don't push it to fast. I'll bet you will find it works in your rough bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    I have an old Lyman Cast Bullet handbook that has loadings for 25-20WCF. My old 1892 Winchester will only shoot jacketed boolits as the bore is too rough for cast alloy. Luckey to have a buddy that had two new boxes of 60gr Hornady 25 caliber jacketed boolits he gave me. There is a great book by Mike McPhearson that is fairly recent that is a wealth of hand loader information. Mike has experimented with a lot of modern propellants and listed his results. Good luck! 25-20 WCF is a great little varmint cartridge. Too bad the reloading components are scarce.
    Try a gas checked cast bullet of 85 grains or so and don't push it to fast. I'll bet you will find it works in your rough bore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    There is a lot of published data out there. Both older and more up to date. Both hodgdon and lee have several loads. Ive been loading 8gr 2400 w 86gr jsp for years. This load is very close to factory remington ammo. For cast I like the NOE 260283 85gr gcfp with 8gr 4227.
    was loading 11 grains of 4227 under a 75 grain hp ....in a savage bolt action (model 25??) ----maybe a bit stiff for a 92 and anyway the boolit unsuitable profile

Boolit Master

That'd be a Savage 25B

I cast bullets for & shoot my 25-20 regularly. My rifle is a marlin 94CL. Published load data

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    That'd be a Savage 25B
    sounds right

Modern Reloading (Lee) 2nd Edition has two pages of data starting on page 285. My brother has a Win. '92 rifle in close to new condition, octagon barrel. He's owned it since he was a teenager, and now he's 78.

DG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast