RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a gunsmith to convert 357 Blackhawk to 357/44 Bobcat

Boolit Buddy

Looking for a gunsmith to convert 357 Blackhawk to 357/44 Bobcat

Good morning. I posted a while back that I incidentally found a Thompson Center Contender Barrel converted to 357/44 Bobcat. This barrel came with a set of dies and did not require the teflon/plastic rings originally needed on the Blackhawk chambered for this round.

I am looking for a gunsmith that can bore out a Blackhawk cylinder to chamber this round without using the teflon/plastic rings. Can this even be done? Not sure but I would purchase a new Blackhawk to make this happen.

Boolit Buddy

I can send a chamber casting and a dummy round of what I am looking for.

A nice conversion is the 356 GNR by Gary Reeder. He will rechamber your 357 Magnum cylinder and sell dies. The cartridge is based upon the 41 Magnum.

https://www.reedercustomguns.com/

Boolit Buddy

Tatume - Appreciate the info but I am really looking for the 357/44 Bobcat chambering. Already have a bunch of loaded rounds and dies to continue loading for it.

Yes, I know the feeling. I have some orphaned ammo and sometimes think about buying guns to fit.

If you do decide to buy a Blackhawk for this conversion you might want to consider the 357 / 9mm convertible. Then you could re-chamber the 9mm cylinder and keep the 357 cylinder for its intended purpose.

Good luck.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Yes, I know the feeling. I have some orphaned ammo and sometimes think about buying guns to fit.

If you do decide to buy a Blackhawk for this conversion you might want to consider the 357 / 9mm convertible. Then you could re-chamber the 9mm cylinder and keep the 357 cylinder for its intended purpose.

Good luck.
    Didn’t think about that. Great suggestion!! I will more than likely go with that.

That is a good idea!

Vendor Sponsor

Yep that's smith territory, Oblunder's 2016 EO says that isn't gunsmithing it's manufacturing. Alan Horton or Andy Horvath, Doug Turnbull are a few you may check out.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

The person doing the work doesn't need to receive the gun. If there is no gun involved, I don't understand how it could be construed as manufacturing a gun? But there is no limit to the lengths anti-gun politicians will go to.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Something to consider is case set-back upon firing. You wouldn't experience such with the closed-breech system of the Contender, but it may rare its ugly head with a revolver.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Something to consider is case set-back upon firing. You wouldn't experience such with the closed-breech system of the Contender, but it may rare its ugly head with a revolver.
    That was the main reason for the teflon rings. In a closed breech system there was never any problem but the old 44 Bain & Davis used to lock up revolvers.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

A gunsmith in Lincoln NE used to convert Ruger Super Blackhawks to 357 Bain & Davis. He would make a breech block that would replace the cylinder and chamber the bbl. Like the Ruger Haweyes in 256 Win Mag. He would also add Mn Bronze grip frames. I bought one of the Super BH take offs and put it on my 30 M1 Blackhawk.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    You are right. I do remember reading that. I would probably not move forward if it required the rings. Thanks

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    A gunsmith in Lincoln NE used to convert Ruger Super Blackhawks to 357 Bain & Davis. He would make a breech block that would replace the cylinder and chamber the bbl. Like the Ruger Haweyes in 256 Win Mag. He would also add Mn Bronze grip frames. I bought one of the Super BH take offs and put it on my 30 M1 Blackhawk.

I already have the dies for the Bobcat so the b&d doesn't appeal to me now. I did look up the difference a while back but cannot remember the exact differences between the two

Yes I understand that just telling how a gunsmith made a bottle neck work.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Yes I understand that just telling how a gunsmith made a bottle neck work.
    No problem. I appreciate the response and info.

Rechambering a revolver for the 357/44 Bobcat might pose a problem being that it is/was a wildcat. I’m not sure I understand the logic of building up a custom gun to match a set of dies you have. But, if that’s the plan, I would take into account that part of the deal might be having to pay for a custom made chambering reamer to match your die set?
    Imagine the disappointment of having the cylinder cut using someone else’s reamer and then finding out your handloads won’t chamber, or the chamber shoulder is several thousandths of an inch too far forward, etc, etc.

But, who knows, maybe look for Bob Booth, the guy who dreamed up the Bobcat?
    It would be nice if you knew who converted that Contender barrel!

Here’s a diagram of the tentative dimensions, albeit in metric:

….Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0351.gif 
Views:	8 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	323661

I’ll add one more caveat: In my experience, the headspace of bottleneck cartridges loaded for either revolvers or the T/C Contender needs to be closely regulated for good case life, reliable function, and good accuracy. But, the reasons in either case are quite a bit different. I suspect it would be very unlikely that ammo loaded to perform well in the Contender would perform well in the revolver, and vice versa.
    Plan on preparing ammo specifically for one gun, then readjusting the dies to load another batch for the other gun. (That is, provided the chambering reamer issue is satisfactorily solved.)
    Last edited by 6string; 02-21-2024 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Diagram added

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    Rechambering a revolver for the 357/44 Bobcat might pose a problem being that it is/was a wildcat. I’m not sure I understand the logic of building up a custom gun to match a set of dies you have. But, if that’s the plan, I would take into account that part of the deal might be having to pay for a custom made chambering reamer to match your die set?
    Yes, and then how would the Blackhawk chamber compare to the Contender chamber made from yet another reamer?

The farther one goes down this rabbit hole crafting handloaded ammo with cast boolits, I question the practicality of having multiple firearms in the same cartridge. There are certainly benefits from having a common source of components however it is not common that one loaded round is ideal for all firearms.

Boolit Master
    Other than the "designer" angle, I don't get it. Power?? There are loadings already out there that I doubt the Bobcat can best, But, I been wrong before!! One Question I have. Larger Cartridge Head (diameter)... cause More or Less Breech face Thrust??
    Trying to remember which case head size tended to "stretch" contenders worse... and I suspect Breech face pressure is Breech face Pressure...No??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    One Question I have. Larger Cartridge Head (diameter)... cause More or Less Breech face Thrust??
    Trying to remember which case head size tended to "stretch" contenders worse... and I suspect Breech face pressure is Breech face Pressure...No??
    Larger case head = more pressure on the breech. You can fire 223 Rem 55Kpsi all day long but one shot with a 475 Linebaugh (50Kpsi) and your Contender is toast. Given the same case head and pressure, the cartridge with more body taper will exhibit greater case head thrust against the breech.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast