Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Suggestions for an accurate slug gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!

Suggestions for an accurate slug gun.

A friend of mine wants to hunt public land that is shotgun only. With all the experience here, we are hoping to get some good recommendations.
    Thanks!

The H&R Handi-rifle slug gun is an outstanding deer rifle. Mine is a 12 ga model built on a 10-ga frame that really likes the old Remington Copper Solid slug ammo. They came from the factory drilled and tapped for a scope base. They also made a 20 ga model.

My H&R is as accurate as a Winchester Model 94.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&R.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	323587
    Last edited by Tatume; 02-19-2024 at 04:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I am thinking it will depend a lot on what gun and slug your friend is planniing on using.

If smoothbore then this may help:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Tail-Feathers

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Tail-Feathers

If rifled then Hogtamer has some good load data for the Lyman sabot slug:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...e-MP-Lyman-525

There is also a thread on this site for the Lyman 525 gr. sabot slug that has many posts with load data people have found that works.

And Blood Trail has posted lots of info for Russian slug moulds.

If you expand on what gun and slug he is planning to use then I am sure you will get lots of more responses to suit.

Longbow

Hah! I should read more carefully! You are looking for recommendations for an accurate slug gun not slug load data. DOH! Well, those links are still good reads.

What is the most accurate slug gun is likely more dependent on budget and availability than anything. Is he planning on buying new or used? Pump? Bolt? Single shot?

I will say that my Mossberg 500 smoothbore Slugster is SLOPPY! The barrel to receive fit is very loose so I made a brass shim to tighten it up which help accuracy. I suspect that most pump guns are sloppy to an extend so shimming or pinning is likely a good thing. Bolt guns and single shots should be good and solid.
    Last edited by longbow; 02-18-2024 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added to post.

Boolit Buddy
    He doesn’t reload. Off the shelf combinations would probably be best for him.

20 years ago, I used an H&R 45/410 with magtech 410 brass and 45-70 trapdoor loads for public lands. Not sure how mr green jeans would take to 300 grain xtp bullets in brass hulls, but I took a chance. Plus after further reading here, everyone is leery about smokeless in brass hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    He doesn’t reload. Off the shelf combinations would probably be best for him.

20 years ago, I used an H&R 45/410 with magtech 410 brass and 45-70 trapdoor loads for public lands. Not sure how mr green jeans would take to 300 grain xtp bullets in brass hulls, but I took a chance. Plus after further reading here, everyone is leery about smokeless in brass hulls.
    I'm afraid I don't follow. Lots of people load brass shotgun shells. Also, I'd venture a wager that your Magtech 410 cartridges were loaded with smokeless powder.

I'd be cautious about 45/70 loads in any 410 shot shells though.

Boolit Master

I use an Ithica model 37 Featherweight DeerSlayer in 16 ga. I was a gift. It kicks a bit, but will shoot Remington SLUGGERS or BRENNEKES in 4 -5 inch groups at 100yds all day, well until your shoulder gives out. I have seen the 12 ga version do the same.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a stock Mossy cantilever scoped slug barrel that will cloverleaf a playing card @100yds with off the shelf walmart foster slugs, probably do even better with sabots. Took quite a few deer with it. If you want to find them a mossy 500a I would list the slug barrel for sale if you'd like.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have access to a used market, I'd second the advice to get a H&R with a rifled barrel. Really good in either the heavy barrel of standard barrel version. If you get real lucky and can find an Ithaca lever action single shot, grab it! super accurate.

Boolit Master
    Savage model 220 - 20 gauge with Acutips first choice the others

Boolit Master
    h&r single shot not enough ammo need a 5 shot

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    h&r single shot not enough ammo need a 5 shot
    What would you do with the other four shots?

There was only one time I ever shot more than once at a deer, The deer fell to the ground in tall grass on the first shot, and immediately stood up again. By this time I had reloaded the H&R single-shot slug gun, so I shot again. When I walked to the deer I found two, lying next to each other on the ground.

Boolit Grand Master

Current accuracy king of the hill is the Savage model 220 with 20 gauge Acutips.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    ok proved it to my buddy 1 day.He put a drive on to me i use a mossberg 500 20 3x9 scope.Drove a buck and 2 does to me fired 5 shots hit 4 times. Dropped all 3 it was a short hunting season.

Its a bad feeling deer or birds to be standing there with a empty gun and watch them get away

wont hunt with a double barrel as well

mossberg deadly to 150 yds

^^ ^^ ^^

I agree with the Mossberg 500. I just purchased a fully rifled cantilever barrel last year. Mine loves Hornady American Whitetail sabot slugs. Good out past 150 yards.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Second on the H&R Ultra Slug hunter in 20 ga

IME, a Benelli M2 Rifled Slug auto-loading gun is hard to beat, for both dependability & accuracy.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2...field-shotgun/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I liked my Encore 20 ga rifled slug barrel with Remington sabot slugs.

The thing to remember about this question is that it is a two pronged issue. First you have to find a gun you like. Then you have to figure out what it likes to shoot. If you don't load your own ammo you are stuck sifting thru all of the Factory Loaded Rounds you can find. if you are lucky and find something that delivers "Acceptable Accuracy" for what you want to do with the gun, you are in business. If you are going to hunt Deer or Pigs with the gun and you find a slug round that gives you < 2" at 50 yards, I'd say you have arrived. It is not going to be a big deal to go to the local store and buy a box of slugs for <$10 before each Season.

If a day at the range for you is 100+ rounds then you are probably going to have to Reload and you will want to cast your own Slugs as well. There will be a learning curve to find a load that does what you want. But when you do you will be shooting far cheaper than buying factory loaded slugs.

I have several Guns that I shoot slugs in. 4 different Mossberg 500's and a Browning A5 with a Fully Rifled Barrel that is a 1" gun at 50 yards with Slugs R Us (Now Leon's Slugs) slugs. Those 550 gr Slugs will go out to 100 yards easily and maybe even farther?

I have a variety of barrels for the Mossberg's. I have two guns with Vang Comped barrels that are used for HD and 3 gun shoots. I have another gun with a shortened barrel that had the forcing cone lengthened and Rem- Chokes installed. It shoots cheap Lee 1 oz. Slugs pretty well with a Rifled Choke Tube installed. I have another M500 with a Fully Rifled Barrel and so far I haven't gotten it to shoot right with the Lee Slugs but I figure that after doing it for a few years I can probably make it work with a little more testing.

In closing you need to decide what kind of accuracy you are seeking, but I would caution you that Expecting <MOA Groups from any Generic Shotgun is going to be difficult to achieve, but Not Impossible !

Lots of info on how to do it contained in these pages.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2499.jpg   IMG_2376.jpg   IMG_2338.jpg   IMG_2334.jpg   IMG_2173.JPG  

100464677.JPG   100464735.jpg   100464874.jpg   100464676.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	118206D2-439E-4BA5-9F25-E5C55F6DFAF4.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	323922

I understand a rifle and a shotgun are two different animals. If I am shooting a single projectile, I want rifle like accuracy. Or as close to that as I can get.

I believe he has chosen the savage 220. He sent me a message and said he had it ordered. Now the hunt is on for finding the most accurate slug ammunition in it.

The target photo posted is a round ball load I am working on from my 12 gauge smoothbore. I will get around to starting a new thread on that load here soon.

Barry: do remember that a 12 ga. Shotgun with a Rifled Barrel is a .73 Caliber Rifle. A Savage 212 is a serious .73 caliber Rifle! And there are videos on You Tube of guys shooting Deer at 300 yards with a Savage 220 over bait so they had the trajectory nailed down before taking the shot. But in all cases the Deer dropped like stones !

Here's the group I shot with My A5 with Hastings Fully Rifled Barrel. It was shot at 50 yards with the stock Open Sights that came on the barrel, and the first three shots were the "cloverleaf" in the center.
    The whole group measures 1x1.5" and the Cloverleaf itself is < 3/4" !

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464943.JPG   100464885.jpg   100464874.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-05-2024 at 05:51 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com