MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62x53R Finnish Mosins

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    The 7.62x53R uses a .308" projectile, where-as the 7.62x54R uses a 3-line, or .311", projectile. The 7.62x53R is the correct cartridge designation for the 28/30 Finnish Civil Guard rifles.
    I was referring to the cartridge cases, there is no difference between them. As mentioned, slugging the bore of the rifles will tell what bullet diameter will be best to use.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Never shot cast in mine , I have 8 or 9 standard m39's , 2 straight stocks and 2 m28's . All shoot best with 200 grain Lapua Scenars or same weight in Match Kings . They also shoot the 180 grain bullets awfully well . I used N550 and shot them reasonably warm. Almost all shot to the sights with both bullets at 100 yards which is why I stuck with them. I could look up the charge weight and post it but it's best to work it out for your self in your particular rifle as what I ended up with would be considered somewhat hot being slightly over listed maximum . That said , all of mine shot best with exactly the same load and that includes the 10 or so m39's that I sold off years ago when I decided to keep only the Civil Guard SKY marked rifles. I did try some 220 grain .308 bullets but they only produced mediocre results. I am probably gonna sell or trade most of what I have left before too long so they might end up in the classified section. Probably will keep the two straight stocks and the best m28 since I do still like shooting them some.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 02-19-2024 at 03:55 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Finn m/1891. Has original Russian one piece stock, new B barrel. Came from Finland with no handguard (as it came from the importer as such).

First time I threw some cast bullet handloads through it produced 5 shots into 1 hole at 50yds. And that was with moderate level Unique and 311299 .311". I'll work more with this rifle after I get done working with some other of my Mausers. The "B" barrels are said to be Belgium made. While all of this type are dated 1942 its been said these were rebarreled post-war and put into storage. I am very fond of this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Finn m/1891. Has original Russian one piece stock, new B barrel. Came from Finland with no handguard (as it came from the importer as such).

First time I threw some cast bullet handloads through it produced 5 shots into 1 hole at 50yds. And that was with moderate level Unique and 311299 .311". I'll work more with this rifle after I get done working with some other of my Mausers. The "B" barrels are said to be Belgium made. While all of this type are dated 1942 its been said these were rebarreled post-war and put into storage. I am very fond of this rifle.

Dutchman I've seen you post that gem in the past. Love it. I just scooped up two of them the last year. One of them on a Chatellerault receiver. I have to say, out of all my recent acquisitions, the M91's and the M28/30 have been amazing. The one disappointment has been a Tikka M27. With j words and cast it been not so hot. Makes no sense because it's in near mint shape. The M28/30 has seen some use and it shoots circles around the M27.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12