Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still read books?

I'm a reader. I read very little fiction. I love about anything to do with history.

One of my favorite books is The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Wild to think that all that was a true story.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

I normally read short stories because I'm a slow reader. Can't read any faster than I speak. I do like historical books especially our history as a nation. Right now I'm reading U.S.Grants memoirs. Very interesting to me!

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    You have the Dahak series in that stash?
    Not the Dahak. Not yet.

To live in a time when someone will bring a book to your front door cheaper than you can drive to the library; what a strange world we live in!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    You would like the Honor Carrington series of Scifi books(if you haven't already read them!). It os rare I pay full price for an ebook, this series I did as they came out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorverse
    Harrington turned out to be a lot of fun.
    It's a shame that a tv series didn't happen.

I hope so,built a dedicated library whilst building our house 35 years ago. Has ALL the bells N whistles. By "building" I mean every last stud,custom made moulds,and 30 thousand bricks vs paying someone to do it. It's an 1810 Federal period replica. Worked in some pretty dang serious historic preservation business for years. Whole family was contractors so just following in their footsteps.

Just finished; Thos. Kuhn, the Structure of Scientific Revolution c.1962

Currently on Friedman,Capitalism and Freedom also first published '62.

And gun related.. enjoying the heck out of Ray Smith,the Story of Pope's Barrels.

I run right around 100$ a month on books. In a post war (II) period now....

Boolit Buddy
    In addition to my Doc Savage penchant, I'm a sucker for the golden age of science fiction. I remember being entranced by "Ace Doubles" those pulp novels that had two books combined with a cover on both sides Read one book, flip it over, and read a completely different boof.

Boolit Master
    I'll read a good book cover-to-cover, and I've read a handful more than once. I tried one of those Kindle gadgets and it was pretty neat but I just couldn't get used to it. Two of my favorites are "The Liberators" by 'Viktor Suvarov' (1981) and "Van Loon's Geography" by Hendrik Willem Van Loon (1932).
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I agree with MaryB 1000%.

David Weber, Eric Flint, are some of the best Sci-fi out there.

Baen books also has a lot of free books available for download. Generally the first one of a new series.
    Kinda like a drug dealer, first get them hooked, then charge what you like for the fix when it is needed.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Our library system has weekly book sales. You cannot believe the beautiful books they (try to) sell for a song. Old books. Picture books. Gorgeous coffee table books, classics. You name it. Fifty cents for a hard cover picture book. Ten cents for soft cover books.
    They have a crew of volunteers who man the book warehouse every Monday morning. I go there often. My wife gets annoyed when I lug stuff home.

I got done with a book from there recently and shot it up in the garage. It made a serviceable backstop. You know what they say, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

I kind of hate to say this but I'm thinking of going there to get some books to use on the driveway for when I need to level up my car when checking fluid levels when changing transmission fluid. They would be cheaper than making ramps out of wood.
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 02-18-2024 at 10:19 AM.

Do not read or write near as much as I used to. My library got moved old house to new, but the book boxes are mostly still sealed. The six book cases got filled by the wife, with suff.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

I have several bookcases and big boxes filled with my Sci fi and fantasy books plus several hundred ebooks. I can't get rid of them. I was also an idiot when I was younger and had lunch with Isaac Asimov and never got him to sign one of his books. Sometimes the paper is better but can't beat the convenience of an ebook.

Reference books I prefer to be hard copies. Just in case.

Got an email that says Grayhound (the Tom Hanks movie) is waiting for me at the library so I best go to town tomorrow.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A great advantage to the Kindles for me, is you can read where there is no power for lights. When I still lived in a teepee and one of my cabins years ago, I found reading by candle light to be a real struggle.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a vast library of books
    love history, native cultures and of course guns and all things that go bang
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I don't like reading on a screen, I just do small doses at a time when on the computer. Much prefer real books or even magazines. I have collected hardback hunting (not the how-to type) and shooting books for years. I prefer the hunting books to have pre WWII content. I've filled nearly 30 feet of bookshelves with them. I find them at flea markets, gun shows, library sales and online. I've really been enjoying them again, since I retired. Some of my favorites are by Buckingham, Rutledge, Babcock, Oconnor, MacQuarrie, Spiller, Sheldon. Lots of good writing there.

Boolit Master

You bet I still read books !!! Since I am still working I have to stay current with the codes governing structural engineering so there is a lot of reading there. I also read books on history, especially American history. Currently reading Tom Paine's "Common Sense".
    I avoid reading off a computer screen. Personally I don't think much of the 21st century and all its technology junk.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    YES!! I guess that I am one of the lucky few that lives (fairly) close to a used book store. Used hardcover books for less than $5, used paperbacks for $3 and under. Big science fiction/fantasy fan here. Anne McCaffery, Larry Niven, John Ringo, David Weber, Larry Correia. Heinlein, Asimov, and a slew of others. I try to spend about an hour a day reading, before work, break and lunchtime. Never liked the "screen readers", prefer to have a hardcopy book in my hands. When I started the first grade (never went to kindergarten), by Christmas I was reading at a sixth grade level. That year Santa brought be paperback copies of Ray Bradbury's R is for Rocket and S is for Space. While those copies have been long gone there are replacements on my bookshelves.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    If you really like Space Opera, I do recommend the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Not the Dahak. Not yet.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    You would like the Honor Carrington series of Scifi books(if you haven't already read them!). It os rare I pay full price for an ebook, this series I did as they came out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorverse
    Got 'em all, read them all, except the last one to date, multiple times. Plus everything else he's written, except the latest in his Out of the Dark series.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast