WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 35WCF brass.....the (kinda?) easy way

35WCF brass.....the (kinda?) easy way

So, I've been messing around with forming 35WCF from 7x65R. I read, pretty sure here, that it was doable so I gave it a go. I'll spare you all of the gory details and frustrations, crushed necks, etc., etc.....but here is where I ended up.

Step 1: Size neck out to .308. I did this using 30-06 FL sizer.

Step 2: Size neck out to .338. I did this using 33WCF FL sizer.

Step 3: Size neck out to 35WCF, using 35WCF FL sizer, then remove, clean and re-lube for FL sizing in the 35WCF die.

Step 4: Off to the lathe to turn about .004 off the base, just ahead of the rim, to get them to chamber and extract easily. (There were quite a few steps prior to make tooling on the lathe for turning the bases!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240215_201908[1].jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	323476

Annealing on the front end didn't seem to make much difference, although I will certainly anneal prior to loading as I feel like I've worked the brass pretty hard. Also haven't checked final trim length yet, but assume that might be necessary.

7x65R brass is pretty hard to find, but loaded ammo from S&B is out there at $22-$25 per box, so pretty cheap compared to spending $4-6/case for 35WCF.

They chamber and extract with ease in my 95....now time to get some loaded and bring that old girl back to life!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I look forward to hearing your efforts return on investment!
    35 WCF is my favourite cartridge of all time!! I had to make them from number of different cases in the past - but never that one!!
    Appreciate your information.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I can't take credit for the idea....pretty sure I read it here that it was possible. And just a quick bit of research confirmed that, so off I went.

I won't throw my friend under the bus....but yep, a member here sold me the '95 (heck of a good deal, and a GREAT guy too!), but dangit, Bob, you're costing me a fortune!!! Lol!!! Factoring in the cost of the lathe and tooling, I'm making cases at about $50/ea so far!!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy

There was a guy in Maine named Pomeroy who redrew 30/40 cases to 35WCF length. Anybody doing that now?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Freischütz View Post
    There was a guy in Maine named Pomeroy who redrew 30/40 cases to 35WCF length. Anybody doing that now?
    Now that I have done! They flow to near correct length after a couple of firings.

I know a lot of folks use Krag brass......super easy conversion, just run it through the 35WCF FL die. They do start life pretty short that way.... I've not heard of anyone drawing it...but that's not to say it isn't/hasn't happened. There is much I don't know....as my wife reminds me, daily. I'd love to see the equipment/process for that, though....intriguing.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about some of these tougher conversions....with method to the madness. My retirement vision is to run a small shop, specializing in obsolete/hard to source brass, specifically for antiques. Blasphemy, I know, but honestly these days I spend more time making brass than I do shooting! I just thoroughly enjoy the process of making something from something else....particularly when it means keeping old guns young. There was another poster looking for Wanzl components....got me gears spinnin'.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I know a lot of folks use Krag brass......super easy conversion, just run it through the 35WCF FL die. They do start life pretty short that way.... I've not heard of anyone drawing it...but that's not to say it isn't/hasn't happened. There is much I don't know....as my wife reminds me, daily. I'd love to see the equipment/process for that, though....intriguing.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about some of these tougher conversions....with method to the madness. My retirement vision is to run a small shop, specializing in obsolete/hard to source brass, specifically for antiques. Blasphemy, I know, but honestly these days I spend more time making brass than I do shooting! I just thoroughly enjoy the process of making something from something else....particularly when it means keeping old guns young. There was another poster looking for Wanzl components....got me gears spinnin'.
    We had a fellow here a couple of years ago. Made some darn fine brass he did. I think he has passed now but I would encourage you to go for it.
    Facta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    We had a fellow here a couple of years ago. Made some darn fine brass he did. I think he has passed now but I would encourage you to go for it.
    Yeah, that was Matt, aka Grumpa. Smart feller.....and missed!

Boolit Master
    Yup, I miss him greatly!!! Sent him many 35 WCF brass to work with and he offered solid advice in return.

Boolit Master

Yeah, that was Matt, aka Grumpa. Smart feller.....and missed!
    That was him all right. He sent me some of the first 22 Jet brass that he came up with for testing. Good stuff and still using it. I don’t think there was a caliber he wouldn’t try and do well.
    Facta non verba

Reg...that's where I want to get to. I understand it's a mountain to climb....don't know that I'll ever get to where Matt (Grumpa) was in his knowledge and ability, but I'm sure determined to try. I think about retirement (6-7 yrs out) and it's the only vision I have....so I'm starting now buying equipment/machinery and plying into the learning curve. Not so much a financial interest for me....I'll retire OK....but do hope to make a few bucks here and there and more importantly....keep old guns alive and shootin'.

Boolit Master

Reg...that's where I want to get to. I understand it's a mountain to climb....don't know that I'll ever get to where Matt (Grumpa) was in his knowledge and ability, but I'm sure determined to try. I think about retirement (6-7 yrs out) and it's the only vision I have....so I'm starting now buying equipment/machinery and plying into the learning curve. Not so much a financial interest for me....I'll retire OK....but do hope to make a few bucks here and there and more importantly....keep old guns alive and shootin'.
    You can do it. Even Grumpa had to start somewhere. In many ways the side operations of reloading, case forming, bullet swaging etc are just as satisfying as banging out a million reloads on a Dillon. Get all the books you can and there is also a ton of information on this site by those who have done it. Build files.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master

And, if I remember correctly, Grumpa was doing all this off grid in Arizona.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    And, if I remember correctly, Grumpa was doing all this off grid in Arizona.
    I believe you are right!!!