RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic Rifle Trigger ?

Boolit Master

I believe Electronic Triggers may still be used in some Free Olympic Pistols Events. Pardini produces one, the FPE single shot 22 caliber.

Not sure how much that helps, but there is a "Feinwerkbau FWB 90" competition air pistol that is using an adjustable electronic trigger. I still own this archaic model and regularly practice with it in my basement...
    Maybe you can find some design plans that can give you some ideas how to do it.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    "Electronic trigger" - Point firearm downrange, manually pull trigger and AI decides when to fire based upon sight picture.

Boolit Grand Master
    To somewhat get this thread back on track (yeah, right) there is a big difference between an electronic trigger and electronic primers.

I can see how micro switches and solenoids could be made to actuate a mechanical firing pin. The legality of doing such I'm not so sure of. Not to mention the practicality of having to have a battery to fire a small arm.

I have no problems with electrical priming, just not for small arms.

Robert

Boolit Master

Thanks for the ideas
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Some electronic triggers are just mechanical designs that are tied to electronics. So you still have an impact on thee primer.

The remington used a special primer that only worked in them and regular primers were useless. It wasn't a good idea and failed.

Back in the mid '80's Krico sold some of their Kricotronic rifles through Beeman, a hand full off .22's and 3 or 4 centerfire, all bolt action. They used 9v batteries. I actually contacted them 15 or 20 years ago and they said they did try and sell the tech to walther and remington at one point.

They would probably be a no go on a semi as a simple timer circuit could make it full auto very easily, with batteries that allowed a faster cycle time.

Basically the system works on the same principle as a spot welder--low voltage and high amperage. The two 9-volt batteries, in series, provide 18 volts. The voltage is stored in two capacitors until the shooter releases the trigger. When the trigger is pulled a thyristor (a one-way electrical switch) opens and allows 300 amps to flow through an electrode that resides in the bolt where a firing pin would normally be. This electrode, made from tungsten, is spring-loaded so that it can rest, under tension, on the rear of the cartridge case (on a .22 rimfire of course it rests against the rim). Because the electrode is so small in diameter--.040 inch--when compared with the surface it's resting on (the primer), opening the thyristor releases the stored charge against the primer. Because it happens so rapidly the charge is converted into heat in micro-seconds. At the point of contact the heat reaches 3,500 degrees C, and since primers only need 400 degrees C in an instantaneous situation to detonate, the primer is fired.
    https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Krico...olt.-a03659515
    Last edited by jmorris; 03-07-2024 at 10:05 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have made a couple of electronic triggers that work well. I have an Olympic style air pistol, a Morini 162ei that has an electronic trigger. It's an excellent Swiss made pistol but unfortunately the electronic pack developed a fault. A new pack is around $350 so I decided I would try to make a replacement. My homemade replacement has been working for well over a year now with no problems.
    I have subsequently made an air rifle using an electronic trigger that also works well.
    This is my Morini 162ei replacement electronic pack:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_05 March 2024_16h12m28s_001_.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	324152

And a short clip of my electronic hammer design:
    https://youtu.be/cBwPoKaZm8Y

I would most certainly go for a "mechanical" trigger. Make the connection rod from an arrow shaft - aluminum or carbon - it will be both stiff and lightweight.
    Cap'n Morgan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12