Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Lee press bullet swage

Boolit Master

Lee press bullet swage

Since George Ulrich retired does anyone make a bullet swage adapter like he did for a Lee press ?

Moderator Emeritus

BT Sniper makes one.
    ...But a heads up, there is a version of the Lee classic cast press that doesn't have the 2 piece ram.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    BT Sniper makes one.
    ...But a heads up, there is a version of the Lee classic cast press that doesn't have the 2 piece ram.
    I can not find the Lee press of which you speak. Do you have a mfg number for the press or ram? THANKS

Moderator Emeritus

I believe they have been discontinued, but some are still out there.
    # 90999

https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear...ch-lock-press/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    RCE makes a Sea Girt dedicated swaging press much stronger that the Lee classic cast. It is only $325. Can't buy a Lee press and a conversion kit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide999 View Post
    RCE makes a Sea Girt dedicated swaging press much stronger that the Lee classic cast. It is only $325. Can't buy a Lee press and a conversion kit for that.
    rolltide999, thank about this info: I write now to RCE to know if I can buy it from here...
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Bub
    I agree with roll tide, just get a dedicated well proven designed press that's intended for bullet swaging, the reloading presses that are converted to be or going to be something of a swaging press itself, might as well buy something that is designed for the purpose of it, plus it can swage larger calibers if you so desired in the future to make something bigger than .224 bullets or making bigger jackets or make copper tubing jackets or drawing jackets or trimming jackets.

Boolit Bub
    Personally, I went with the Walnut Hill press from RCE. It is bigger, has a long stroke for reloading, and a short stroke for swaging. For the extra $175, it was well worth it for me. I have had mine about 10 years. Great press.
    Last edited by rolltide999; 03-04-2024 at 11:18 PM.

...well, contacted RCE from here: I can only say that mr. C. he's the fastest and most efficient person I've ever met !
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Mold
    Just a note, that there is a difference between the way presses are set up, Lee, RCBS & Redding presses set up for the 7/8 thread (Niemi, Detsch, Ulrich, Simonson. Bullets making dies) are very different to the Corbin dies in there ejection system and punches holding system and don’t interchange
    If your interested l have a drawing for the old Lee Cast iron Classic press for the punch holder that replace the shell holder

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Just a note, that there is a difference between the way presses are set up, Lee, RCBS & Redding presses set up for the 7/8 thread (Niemi, Detsch, Ulrich, Simonson. Bullets making dies) are very different to the Corbin dies in there ejection system and punches holding system and don’t interchange
    If your interested l have a drawing for the old Lee Cast iron Classic press for the punch holder that replace the shell holder
    I am interested in anything related to the Lee press for swageing? THANKS

Boolit Master
    I have spent time in Richard Corbin's shop -- and in his brother Dave's plant. They are both fine guys and both make excellent equipment. I would suggest lining up an alternate source of dies for Richard's presses. He already retired once.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    I have spent time in Richard Corbin's shop -- and in his brother Dave's plant. They are both fine guys and both make excellent equipment. I would suggest lining up an alternate source of dies for Richard's presses. He already retired once.
    The OP asked about LEE Classic Cast, only one die maker currently making swage dies for reloading presses.

Needing to find alternatives when maker retires or moves on is true for every swaging equipment maker you can name.

CH - changed ownership, dies and presses changed or no longer made
    Herters - owner retires, dies and presses no longer made
    Hollywood Gun Shop - factory burns - dies and presses no longer made
    Ted Smith bought out by Dave Corbin - dies and presses changed or no longer made
    Dave Corbin retired - changed ownership, dies and presses WILL probably change or no longer be made
    WHEN Richard Corbin retires - dies and presses WILL probably change or no longer be made
    WHEN Brian Thurman retires - dies (doesn't make presses) WILL probably change or no longer be made
    WHEN Larry Blackmon retires - dies and presses WILL probably change or no longer be made
    Lachmiller???
    Saubier???

None of these guys are spring chickens, but Brian is probably youngest.

Like they say, the only thing that changes is the changes. Get while the getting is good, everything could change tomorrow.