Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help dialing in a load...

Banner Sponsor

Need help dialing in a load...

Hi everybody.
    I've been working on a new rifle project. It's basically an AR15 in 358win short X 1.71".
    I've been working with Hornady 200 FTX and Speer 180s
    I pulled the tips off the FTX bullets so I could seat them out farther to get closer to the lands.
    I'm getting some good results, but a flier will pop up and ruin the targets. I'm not sure where the fliers are coming from or what to do to fix it.
    I'm getting good velocities with 1680. I ran the powder charges up and down and picked the best one, 35.5gns @ 2391fps, now I'm varying seating depth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20240213_175111.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	323406
    This was tonight's targets.
    I did not get any velocity measurements as the sun was getting low and that always messes with the chrony.

I tried some Lee 358-200 and they went everywhere except the middle of the target. Pattern was like 18" at 25yds.

Thoughts?
    Suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master
    Might try changing out the scope.

I assume all the cases are one headstamp and about the same number of firings?
    Don Verna

Banner Sponsor

Yes, all Winchester brass, fired twice now.
    It's a new Bushnell scope.
    I may have a Leopold 2x7 sitting around.
    Good thought on the scope...

Boolit Master
    What is the barrel twist of your rifle?
    what yardage are you shooting at ? 100 yds ??

have you tried any 158g ? if the 200 do not work try some thing lighter

try at 50

are you over stabilizing or under stabilizing[/QUOTE]

try at 50

are you over stabilizing or under stabilizing

Boolit Grand Master
    Which shot in the string is the flyer, or is it random?

I remember reading of first shot flyers from handguns back in the 1980's and 90's. I couldn't shoot a handgun well enough then to prove or disprove the theory. Now I can't see well enough.

Robert0

Boolit Master
    If you haven’t found the issue, I would weigh each case. If the weights are off by more than 3 grains, investigate why. Seems another fella had trouble with inconsistent neck diameters in that caliber that required reaming to correct.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master

Twist rate? What other powders do you have in in that range?

Boolit Master
    I would also ask basic things first.

What range was that? How well can you shoot other guns/cartridges? Which round in the group was the flier? Did you shoot from a rest, standing unsupported, bags? What length is the barrel and what twist did you use?

"...358win short X 1.71"."
    I would look into the forming for residual neck thickness and bullet tension.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    "...358win short X 1.71"."
    I would look into the forming for residual neck thickness and bullet tension.
    Excellent point.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you are using a traditional lube, they may be over-lubed, causing fliers due to lube purging.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banner Sponsor

Hi guys, I guess I forgot to include the pertinent information.
    18.5" stainless barrel from Deadshot barrels in Oregon.
    It's a 14 twist,
    I'm shooting from a sandbagged
    rest at 75yds.
    The rifle was warmed up.
    The fliers seem to be random.
    The previous velocity was 2391fps with the 200FTX. I tried seating them touching the lands and then backing off a little bit each time.
    I did not chronograph the velocities of those targets as the sun was getting low and the light seems to give funny chrony readings late in the day.
    I've tried Speer 358 180 and Hornady 358 200 FTX so far.
    I've shot the FTX with and without the flex tips.
    I can usually shoot fairly well.
    My Ruger AR in 450bushmaster I can put 5 in under .5" at 75yds.
    My 7.62x39 AR Pistol will do 3/4" all day long.
    I'm trying to shoot slowly with 2-3 minutes between shots.
    I have a lot of powders to choose from. My next thought was going to be cfe-blk. I tried rl7 and RL10X, but the velocities were way lower...
    Groups were similar also.

It's all Winchester brass, chopped at the neck shoulder junction, then formed in a cut down 358 Win sizing die and trimmed to 1.710". The neck is .015" thick. a loaded dummy chambers and extracts smoothly. Any other brass gets the necks turned to .015".
    Winchester seems to have the most internal capacity, so that's what I went with trying for more performance from my project.

The chamber was cut with a standard 358Win reamer and was just run in 1.710". Headspace was set with a case that I sent along with the bolt to DeadShot Barrels.

Loading dies are Lee that were cut down about .3" and seem to be doing fine.
    Brass is formed in one pass with Imperial Sizing wax.
    The case capacity is 47.5 gns of H2O which is slightly more than 360 Buckhammer.
    I have Quickload, but with Buckhammer data availible from Hodgdon, I'm comparing the two and verifying results with a chronograph.
    Last edited by lar45; 02-15-2024 at 03:00 PM.

Banner Sponsor

Name:	Resized_20240215_143557.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	323458
    I put a new Weaver scope on. I need to pickup something better.
    I shot the same load again.
    This is 8 shots.
    It looks like it wants to shoot, but the random fliers are still there.

Name:	Resized_20240215_153732.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	323459
    I took a rough stab at the 200 Hornady spire point.
    Last edited by lar45; 02-16-2024 at 03:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a muzzle device on, take it off.

Look closely for copper colored strike marks on the inside of the device.

Don't ask me how I know.

Banner Sponsor

I have a Tromix Linear comp on it.
    It has a .375" hole in the center.
    I'll take it off and reshoot a target.

Boolit Master
    also go over rifle with fine tooth comb...dont only check the scope rings..check the plurry bases too...has caught me out twice and three other blokes I know of....strangely both mine were after gunsmith visit!!!
    to some degree your shooting in the dark as dont have a baseline to go with..EG a federal blue box factory load....am I better or worse than can do with that....
    recheck the crown... reclean bore,try it clean then leave it alone for say 30 rounds then try it again..it might like to be dirty.
    worst case its still a good up close gun..but be very disapointed being a new build.
    Last edited by Milky Duck; 02-15-2024 at 10:05 PM. Reason: reread OPs last post

Boolit Master
    At this point, you are wasting time and money. Let’s eliminate a variable, is it the gun or the ammunition? Take a single case and load and fire it five times or as many as you want. That will tell you if it’s something with the gun or the ammo.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Powder position may be the issue. Is a filler used? If not, try the method Larry suggested in the past where you hold the cartridge at a 45 degree angle (nose up) and tap the base slightly on the table while rotating it. Then load gently so the powder is at the location last tapped.

Good luck and happy shooting. A bad day at the range is still better than a good day at work.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Powder position may be the issue. Is a filler used? If not, try the method Larry suggested in the past where you hold the cartridge at a 45 degree angle (nose up) and tap the base slightly on the table while rotating it. Then load gently so the powder is at the location last tapped.

Good luck and happy shooting. A bad day at the range is still better than a good day at work.

Slim
    It's a compressed load, so powder position shouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks for the thought though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post

Slim
    point at sky,give wee shake then lower and shoot does same thing easier LOL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast