Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen boolit

35 Whelen boolit

I have been itching for a CVA Scout v2 for a while and since they only list a 350 Legend and I don;t want one of those, I have been looking at a 35 Whelen to load down to less than full snort, or say 2000fps or less. I like the looks of this Accurate Molds boolit and would like to know if anybody has experience with it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36-200RG-D.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	323401
    What twist ? I am thinking 14". That's what the CVA says that the v2 has.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Not that one but i have been using the 35 XCB Cast bullet aka 360-230-FN-AU1 230g

More of a more pointy nose will make it feed better

But if you are looking for lighter bullets you can try any pistol bullets I have been using 158 g .pistol bullets in a light charge

I also have used 158g 35 cal pistol jacketed bullets at 1900 fps

My rifle has the 1/16 twist

Boolit Master

I don't have a 35 Whelen anymore but when I it had a 1:14 twist (Green mountain barrel) and it shot a variety of J's and cast successfully, except for spire point J's (180gr) which didn't shoot well. I don't think you can go wrong with 1:14
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I wanted a 360 Remington but I can’t bring myself to bring the $699+internet fee+shipping+credit card fee and +everything else they can think of. The reputation of the CVA single shots has made my mind up. I really wanted a single shot 357 to make a maximum from but CVA makes what THEY want. Thankfully I can load the Whelen down to allow my prosthetic shoulder joint to use it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    The Boolit you show looks Ideal for my 35 Remington. Can easily attain 2000fps with it...I can get 1900fps with a 220gnBoolit.
    Look what Lever Evolution ammo is Doing!!!
    Just saying, ya don't need a Whelen
    Last edited by racepres; 02-13-2024 at 07:34 PM.

Boolit Master

The RCBS or Lee 200g shoots very well in many 35’s and you can get the Lee in a 6 cavity. In a 1 in 12” 358 Win, I can easily push it to 2300 fps with 1.5 Moa accuracy. Cast from 49/49/2 Pure/COWW/Pewter, it expands very nicely at that velocity on deer.

Boolit Master
    Darn...I always forget about the Dandy 358 Win. I gotta get me one o them.

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    The Boolit you show looks Ideal for my 35 Remington. Can easily attain 2000fps with it...I can get 1900fps with a 220gnBoolit.
    Look what Lever Evolution ammo is Doing!!!
    Just saying, ya don't need a Whelen
    I sure don’t need a Whelen but I want a CVA Scour v2 and the only other 35 cal they offer is a Legend and I don’t want a .355 35cal. My intent is to load it down. If I could find a 357 Scout, I would have my ‘smith ream it to a maximum and call it good. But….since they don’t exist a Whelen with a dose of Unique will suffice.
    Last edited by murf205; 02-14-2024 at 09:35 AM.

Boolit Master

The RCBS 35 caliber 200 grain bullet and it's copies are the "Gold Standard" for 35 caliber bullets as already mentioned. I believe Tom at Accuratemolds.com would probably have a copy of that bullet if you enjoy his molds. I certainly do as he does a wonderful job.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Tom does indeed do a wonderful job and he has me hooked on his work. The RCBS 200 gr is a great one but I really like the performance of the LBT style like the one above. As a matter of fact, when I start to concoct a new project, the first thing I research is Accurate catalog.

Boolit Master
    Accurate 210A shot super in my .35 Whelen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Accurate 210A shot super in my .35 Whelen.
    How fast did you drive it?

Boolit Master

I have the Lee 358-200 that is very similar and performs well in both the Whelen and the 35 Remington.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I have three bullets for my .35-303 Enfield.. First one was the Lee 358-200 GC it was too short to feed reliably in the #4 Mk1. So I got a 360-250 from Accurate, adn is it long enough to feed OK.

I also tried a Sierra 225 gr Game King which does feed reliably.

All of these bullets will work in a Whelan, but I see no point in using anything less than a 250 gr Boolit in a .35 cal. Rifle for Normal Target Shooting or Hunting, or the Sierra Game Kings 225 gr or 250 gr for Hunting bigger stuff. They are too expensive to plink with, whereas the Cast Lead Boolits cost almost nothing.

The Lee 358-200 will work OK if you aren't feeding off a magazine, and is certainly the Cheapest Mould to buy, and would suffice as a plinking Load. It was designed for the .35 Remington.

My .35 cal. Gun is a Reworked #4 Mk1* Parker Hale Deluxe Sporter bored out to .35-.303 by JES Reboring.
    Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2370 (1).jpg   IMG_2369.jpg   IMG_2350.jpg   IMG_2339.jpg   IMG_2340.jpg  

IMG_2342.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

When I had my 358 Norma, I was a 250 gr guy myself but since I am only going to target shoot and/or plink with it AND I'm not going to shoot very fast loads due to a prosthetic shoulder joint, a 200 will keep recoil down. Of course feeding will not be an issue with the single shot CVA.
    I really want the CVA to see if all the hoop-de-la about their accuracy is correct. The 44 cal CVA's have a great reputation as well. I really want to buy one locally so the search for one has turned into a project within its self. BTW, Randy, that #4 is a good looking piece.
    Last edited by murf205; 02-14-2024 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I have three bullets for my .35-303 Enfield.. First one was the Lee 358-200 GC it was too short to feed reliably in the #4 Mk1. So I got a 360-250 from Accurate, adn is it long enough to feed OK.

I also tried a Sierra 225 gr Game King which does feed reliably.

All of these bullets will work in a Whelan, but I see no point in using anything less than a 250 gr Boolit in a .35 cal. Rifle for Normal Target Shooting or Hunting, or the Sierra Game Kings 225 gr or 250 gr for Hunting bigger stuff. They are too expensive to plink with, whereas the Cast Lead Boolits cost almost nothing.

The Lee 358-200 will work OK if you aren't feeding off a magazine, and is certainly the Cheapest Mould to buy, and would suffice as a plinking Load. It was designed for the .35 Remington.

My .35 cal. Gun is a Reworked #4 Mk1* Parker Hale Deluxe Sporter bored out to .35-.303 by JES Reboring.
    Randy
    THAT is what I want!
    A powerhouse with 10? In the mag!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

It came with a Santa Fe 5 round magazine, whihc was worth more than the whole gun!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    How fast did you drive it?
    I ran it up to 2250fps with a powder coat, more than that the recoil was offensive.

I don't plan on loading anywhere near that fast. Us old geezers bruise too easily! I will probably run a 180 or 200 gr to 1800 fps and call it good.

Boolit Master
    I was surprised how fast I could run them! My every day load was 1850fps, it cut ragged holes at 75 yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast