Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 310 348 win question

Boolit Mold

Question Lyman 310 348 win question

I was looking at a 348wcf ideal no.10, which I believe uses the same dies as the Lyman 310 special 348, but I could be wrong. With what looks like a bullet seating die in it, has none of the other dies though.
    Does the bullet seating die also crimp? I have seen where they are two separate dies I believe.
    Alongside this question since I am new to reloading, would I be able to use this, without the muzzle resizer die? Given its scarcity in the 348. Would it function in a model 71, from the mag tube to the barrel, and then chamber? Just for plinking fun.
    Last edited by Bleachedtech903; 02-13-2024 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Master

I am not certain, but I think it will crimp also. FWIW - the 348 uses a larger size die/thread than the standard 310. Lots of people do not know this. Also for 50-70 and other big stuff like that. It will be a challenge to complete that set.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Here is an ad showing all that was included with the #10 set in the 30's . I would expect this to require the larger dies same as a 310 set does. Easy to find out if you buy it , try that die in a 310 handle.

PS: I thought the #10 was for rimless cartridges ? Guess it can do both according to the cartridges listed in the ad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lyman #10 tool ad.jpg  
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 02-13-2024 at 11:59 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Mold
    It could be a no. 3 or one of the others, its listed as a no.10 in the listing.
    If I did get it, I thought about buying a normal size 348 sizing die, and getting it machined to fit the no.10 348 handle, and maybe also shortend, though probably not, since you can already only neck size using the normal 348 dies. So I should be able to find someone to do it pretty easily, for probably a decent amount of money. The hard part is the hardened dies, as well as the 30tpi, that the normal and larger 310 dies use. Hard to find a place that can do 30tpi from what I have read. I would prob search for a few shops with cnc lathes.

Boolit Master

Using a normal sizing die might and might not work even if cut and threaded. If it only neck sizes and does not have an expander ball it should. If it has an expander ball on the de capping rod it will hang up in the case neck and you wont have enough leverage to pull it back out. These tools are neat and old school but they are small , meant only for the simple operations they were designed for and lack leverage that you have with a bigger tool. The torpedo shaped tool with the pin pictured in the ad was what de capped with that tool.

They made a hand sizing die that is likely near impossible to find that you drove the lubed case in with a mallet or used a vise to push it in and then used a rod and mallet to tap it back out. That's what you need but good luck finding one. It full length resizes the case.

I'd hold off and watch ebay like a hawk for a later 4 or 5 die 310 set, they are rare but they do show up . A full die set sold a week or so ago for $135 or so , I gave $175 for my steel handle set about six or seven months ago.

Boolit Master
    The #3s and #10s looked the same externally: tongs with no mould on the end and an expander/decapper, muzzle resizer, adjustable (or double-adjustable) seating chamber and powder scoop. The mould (with “long, cool handles”) was separate. They were advertised as “the gun crank’s pet,” for those who liked to experiment with different boolits and loads.

The difference was that the #3 was for rimmed cartridges and the #10 was for rimless ones. The #10s incorporated a detachable swinging hook (shown in the illustration and frequently missing on found examples), or, later on, a more permanently-mounted sliding plate, to catch the groove on the rimless cartridges and so maintain the sizing and seating depths.

When Lyman took over Ideal, they continued these tools for a while but eventually devised a set of handles that would work with both types of cartridge case, calling it “the 310” (get it?).

In all my years of rummaging gun show tables, I have found exactly one set of handles with the oversized hole, and zero dies to fit. But I don’t do EBay much, or the gun auction sites, ever. Still, monitoring them would be less arduous than trimming down and rethreading a 7/8”x14 sizing die to fit a tong tool. I’ve made several attempts at necksizers made of rod stock to fit tong tools, without a great deal of success. Seaters are relatively doable, but neck sizers are a little too critical for my toolmaking skills. The necks never seem to grip the boolit exactly right.

Boolit Mold
    I have come to the conclusion to use cast. I have read I don't need a neck sizing die to use cast. As long as it uses the crimp groove, and maybe a little oversized than a normal jacketed bullet. The main issue is not enough neck tension with no necksizing, so the crimp stops the bullet from moving back in the case. I have read that for jacketed it just would fall back from spring pressure in the mag tube, and maybe not crimp well even with the neck sizing die for jsp. I have read a factory crimp die is best. I would rather use jacketed, because of the minimal selection of ordered cast bullets, I dont really want to use gas checks because of possible pressure spikes if the gas check comes off. Though I have seen someone powder coat a gas checked .348 bullet, to make sure the gas check stays on. I would like to use just plain powder coated with no gas check, except no one sells powder coated .348 bullets. Just gas checked ones. And no I won't cast, I may buy gas checked and learn to powder coat, but that's the most I will do. Then in the future, I may figure out a way to fit a neck sizing die to the handle. Any input is appreciated, thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    The ad is showing only a bullet sizer and related punch, and a decapping pin, in addition to what you are looking at. If the price is anywhere close to reasonable, grab it. Even if you don't want to cast, it might be nice, in the future, to have a mold. There is nothing wrong with shooting as cast bullets. They are usually more accurate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachedtech903 View Post
    I have come to the conclusion to use cast. I have read I don't need a neck sizing die to use cast. As long as it uses the crimp groove, and maybe a little oversized than a normal jacketed bullet. The main issue is not enough neck tension with no necksizing, so the crimp stops the bullet from moving back in the case. I have read that for jacketed it just would fall back from spring pressure in the mag tube, and maybe not crimp well even with the neck sizing die for jsp. I have read a factory crimp die is best. I would rather use jacketed, because of the minimal selection of ordered cast bullets, I dont really want to use gas checks because of possible pressure spikes if the gas check comes off. Though I have seen someone powder coat a gas checked .348 bullet, to make sure the gas check stays on. I would like to use just plain powder coated with no gas check, except no one sells powder coated .348 bullets. Just gas checked ones. And no I won't cast, I may buy gas checked and learn to powder coat, but that's the most I will do. Then in the future, I may figure out a way to fit a neck sizing die to the handle. Any input is appreciated, thank you.
    The dies diameter and thread are very oddball .

Boolit Master

A set (310) for .348 sold on ebay yesterday for $286.00 plus tax and shipping. Getting expensive to load low tech .

Boolit Master

Yeah, I was watching that one too - makes me kinda glad i already have what i need or want
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

I sent Bleachedtech903 a heads up when it was a lot cheaper , figured it might go to over $200 but not how much . Don't know if he bid , won or punted.

Boolit Grand Master

If your low-tech 310 plans go to heck in a handbasket ...
    Do what I did ... A Lee Hand Press and a set of standard reloading dies .
    Almost as compact as a 310 set up , just as easy to use , much cheaper and the hand press and dies all fit in a standard size tool box with reloading components .

Think about it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"