Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: .38/55 Loading

Boolit Buddy

.38/55 Loading

I am shooting a 255 Grain. bullet out of my .38/55 using 9 Grains. of Unique powder. I want to hold the powder against the flash hole and am thinking of putting a .38 Cal., .30 "Walters Wad" wad on top of the powder charge. I think this is my cheapest and easiest way to do it. Am I going to kill myself?

1/4 square of toilet paper does the job. Wad it up very lightly then push in using a pencil eraser end first but do not pack it hard, just enough so you feel it bottom out. Been doing this for 50 years with not one issue and yeah, there are nay-sayers but it works and works well. I use this same method in all my old rifles with unique and 5744 but then I don't load hot either, 1300 max is all I shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

I think I would lean towards a few strands of the dacron stuffing. but then I would work the load back up when adding it.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I am shooting a 255 Grain. bullet out of my .38/55 using 9 Grains. of Unique powder. I want to hold the powder against the flash hole and am thinking of putting a .38 Cal., .30 "Walters Wad" wad on top of the powder charge. I think this is my cheapest and easiest way to do it. Am I going to kill myself?
    What you just described is the classic way to ring a chamber. I can't tell you it will for sure happen, as I have never done it. I know for sure rings can happen slowly as a result of doing this over the duration of many shots, rather then all at once. One of the match competitors did this (lever silhouette matches) until he could not extract a case without trouble. At best, it is a bad practice.
    Chill Wills

When I feel the need for a filler, I use a pinch of laundry lint from towels.
    Last edited by veeman; 02-12-2024 at 01:55 PM.

And seeings this is the Black Powder section, fill the case with FF choose your brand of black powder and you will definitely have powder against the flash hole.

Boolit Buddy
    I consider a sheet of toilet paper about 4"square. Do you mean 1/4 of that?

Boolit Master

Unique is noted for not being position sensitive. Be sure you have no lube on the base of your bullit or case neck. Try pointing loaded gun striaght up to settle powder, then slowly down to shoot. See if that makes any noticeable difference in your groups. I'm betting you won't see any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I consider a sheet of toilet paper about 4"square. Do you mean 1/4 of that?
    Yes that is correct. You need to know that using any filler will raise pressures somewhat and for the 38/55 the 9 grain unique load is NOT such a light load pressure wise, plus case fill is more than enough so you really don't need a filler and in my rifles of that caliber I don't use one and I load 8-9 grains same as you. Dacron and creame of wheat are just other methods of the same but we find TP to work well and more convient on the reloading bench and I use TP mostly in larger cases like 45-70. Now, you need to know, unique is not so position sensitive and if holding the barrel up and tapping the forstock a few times the powder will fall down the case and against the primer, lower the barrel but not below horizonal and shoot. Your accuracy will be the same or so very close I doubt you will see a difference..
    As to barrel ringing caused by an obstruction there are several ways this can happen. A wet barrel from oil, water or other obstruction can do this causing a bulged barrel. Shooting jacketed bullets after firing lead bullets can cause it as well but a soft material like loose fitting TP or dacron will not do this and in fact both come shooting out the baRRel in shreads from the riflings cutting them up..I also suggest not shooting undersized bullets at all but shoot tight fitting cast that are .001 or .002 larger than you guns groove diameter preventing gas cutting the lead and ruining accuracy with lead build up that also raises pressures..One final word: fillers do raise pressures and for the casual shooter who has no access to pressure tools one must use them only in reduced powder loads of low, low pressure where the filler will not raise pressures that much. BESAFE!

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded up some rounds with1/4 square, but I still loaded 9.0 Grains. You seemed worried about the pressure, should I have reduced it to 8.0 grains? Should I pull them?

Boolit Grand Master

You added weight to the projectile with the toilet paper wad and removed air space bot can and do raise pressure. I would be cautious firing them.

Unique is not really position sensitive. However, I personally use the raised muzzle and a light palm tap on the forearm before firing a shot, more of a habit than anything else. I use 10-12 grains of Unique in my 444 for Cowboy Silhouette matches, without any wad or filler and have done so for 40+ years. When shooting a 40 to 60 round match, it helps to have manageable recoil levels and enough power to take the 70 pound rams down at 200 meters. The 444 with a 210 Lyman with 12 grains of Unique will do the job, real well.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers