Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Super Blackhawk!

Boolit Bub

Super Blackhawk!

Picked up a NM Super Blackhawk yesterday. One of the tightest Rugers I have ever handled. .002 cylinder gap and zero end play. Trigger breaks like glass at 3.13#. Can’t wait to see how she does for accuracy!

Vendor Sponsor

Poke some boolits into the front of the cylinder throats and see what will go and what won't.. It sounds like it has everything else going for it!

Also, if you have one of those plastic cleaning jags, patch it snug into the bore with paper towel, with a steady push, push it toward the frame. If the resistance doesn't change and it comes out of the forcing cone, you have NO choke! YAY!! If it gets a little stiff at the barrel/frame junction, that's a constriction in the diameter of the bore doing that. If it stops and you near have to beat it through, that's severe choke..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Had one like that back in the early 90's. 10-1/2" barrel. Would not shoot lead worth a hoot. Didn't do well with jacketed. Peddled it off, at a loss of course.

Boolit Bub
    I checked the alignment yesterday. Put a tight patch on a jag and pushed it down the muzzle and no constriction. It also goes from the barrel into the throats of the cylinder with zero resistance. The only way you can tell it enters the throats is that slight resistance change from rifling to no rifling. I haven’t checked the throats yet. I use a Starrett small hole gage and mic. I will probably fire the hone up to even them all out if they need it. Just by the measurements this is the nicest factory Ruger I have ever handled.

Always nice to come across a gem like that! Picked up a solid NM Blackhawk in 45 Colt that had all the extra work done before I laid eyes on it. Great revolvers with a little tuning.

Boolit Bub
    The only thing that I need to fix so far is the timing on the Pawl is just a touch late. It is so slight that I didn’t even notice it when I bought it. I will probably pull it apart and stretch the pawl this week.

Awesome, congratulations. Love to see how she groups.

Welcome to the forum by the way!
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Poke some boolits into the front of the cylinder throats and see what will go and what won't.. It sounds like it has everything else going for it!

Also, if you have one of those plastic cleaning jags, patch it snug into the bore with paper towel, with a steady push, push it toward the frame. If the resistance doesn't change and it comes out of the forcing cone, you have NO choke! YAY!! If it gets a little stiff at the barrel/frame junction, that's a constriction in the diameter of the bore doing that. If it stops and you near have to beat it through, that's severe choke..
    Hey Doug. If your fix for thread choke is firelapping, please share your procedure for curing it. Any different for stainless guns?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    Hey Doug. If your fix for thread choke is firelapping, please share your procedure for curing it. Any different for stainless guns?
    I don't want to steer this thread, there are threads all about fire lapping already posted, you could learn more from members from those posts than I could tell you, and yes firelapping Ruger's stainless barrels are an extremely slow process.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Guys, been an RCA member since 75, so not putting Ruger down at all, Ruger buys parts from jobbers, it is how they keep the price down, assembly lines. Any time you look at buying a Ruler wheel gun, check the barrel groove diameter and openings on the cylinder's chambers.
    I bought a great used 10 1/2" NM SBH that had .429 and .430 chamber openings and a .4325 barrel. So took some "fixing" to get it to shoot. Opened the chamber throats and found a 433 sizing die then opened up one of my 240 gain moulds with lapping compound on the mill. One thing about shooting and making cast bullets is that you can change things around, until a gun shoots.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Is that Super Black Hawk a new gun or just new to you? I have read that the factory is not thread choking their barrels as often lately.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    It is new to me. I haven’t looked up the serial number yet, but it is old enough to have the billboard on the side of the barrel instead of the bottom.

Boolit Master
    I bought mine new in 1978 so it was an early New Model SB. Very accurate with almost any load but it had a fairly heavy trigger pull that I didn't care for. I finally traded it off for a Colt Series 70 in 45 ACP (which was a tack driver).

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I bought mine new in 1978 had a fairly heavy trigger pull that I didn't care for.
    That can be fixed rather easy by lowering the height of the hammer pad, takes most if not all detectable creep out of the trigger. Swap in a Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring you will have a crisp safe trigger with almost no detectable creep. It's not a match/competition gun so the goal is not 100% creep free although sometimes it comes out with zero detectable creep, the goal is for the shooter to be able to hold the sights motionless while the hammer falls.

You are a fortunate fellow!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    That can be fixed rather easy by lowering the height of the hammer pad, takes most if not all detectable creep out of the trigger.
    Is this discussed somewhere on the forum? I searched but could not find it.

Boolit Bub
    Well I finally found time to try a few loads in my SBH this past weekend. To start off, I put a Powers No.5 base pin in it and that eliminated the slight timing issue it had before. Now when I say slight, I mean it was almost undetectable unless you cycled it very slowly.

I started off with one of my favorite molds for the 44, the RCBS 44-250-KT. I loaded these over 7 grains of Red Dot. Accuracy was in the 2.5-3” range at 25 yards. So not great. I really wanted Red Dot to work well as I have about 30 pounds of it here. I tried 8 grains with no improvement.

I then tried HS6, my favorite powder for the larger bore revolvers. I use this in my 44’s, 45’s and 475’s. Loaded 12 grains with the same bullet and got .75-1.0” groups at 25 yards.

I am very happy with that and planning on loading some more to try this weekend. Just an update if anyone was interested.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Back in the early ‘90’s, I had a blued 10” that would shoot crazy accurate! But, some guy came along, more money than sense, and away it went! Fast forward some 25 years, and now have a 10” stainless model, muzzle brake, trigger job, tuned action, all cylinder throats the same size, no choke in the barrel. OMG, does this thing shoot! Lee 310 grain cast, pc, and sized to .432”, healthy dose of A2400, it’s a beast. I’m glad you got yours, they are a real deal handgun!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome ...

Thanks for posting ... Ruger Super Blackhawks are Fun ...

Try some other powders / loads ... you will find what it Likes !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"