Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Gas checks in BP shooting

Boolit Bub

Gas checks in BP shooting

I have not used gas checks before, so I wanted to ask if gas checks are popular or commonly used in black powder shooting, or if they are more exclusively used and popular with smokeless shooting. Thank you.
    Last edited by irish-maniac; 02-11-2024 at 11:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    They aren't generally used. Mostly we shoot soft alloys that the black powder easily bumps up and seals without needing gas checks.

Chris.

I don't use gas checks often, but when I have they worked fine. Most/all gas check designed bullets don't carry enough lube, so there's that issue you have to deal with.

Boolit Bub
    I saw they are not allowed in competition, I was not sure if there was any benefit in their use. It seems like there are arguments on both sides.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I don't use gas checks often, but when I have they worked fine. Most/all gas check designed bullets don't carry enough lube, so there's that issue you have to deal with.
    I have used them but as mentioned above the bullets don't carry enough lube. I had to use a lubed wad under them. That lowers the amount of powder one can load and puts an extra step in reloading. I now have molds with big lube grooves for my BP loads.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

generally not legal by rules, but in my experience the bullets seat more concentric yielding better accuracy. I always shoot over sized bullets when possible so "sealing the bore" is not the issue. If you are a sloppy handler while reloading, you can mess up the bass edge which can/will ruin accuracy. Gc's will prevent that as well.

Boolit Bub
    Good information. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    as mentioned by several already --the lube grooves on GC boolits are too small
    I believe (with blackpowder) a decent overpowder wad does most of what a GC does and the main reason that dont work with smokeless is air space in the case

Boolit Bub
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I believe (with blackpowder) a decent overpowder wad does most of what a GC does and the main reason that dont work with smokeless is air space in the case
    Could you expand on the OP wad/GC and air space a little bit?

Boolit Grand Master

With true BP loads the charge is normally compressed then the over powder wad and the bullet set down tight on top of it.

I meant why it doesn't have the same effect with smokeless. The general rule for BP is no air space.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageKustoms View Post
    I meant why it doesn't have the same effect with smokeless. The general rule for BP is no air space.
    Country Gent has explained
    maybe some elaboration ? .........
    for the wad to work it needs to be firm against the boolit base - blackpowder loads do that - and I guess a straight sided case with smokeless (38/55) might also ?

any case with even a slight increase in dimension below the neck and smokeless load -- whats to stop the wad from ending up down in/on the powder and lost from the boolit base - a dodgy deal at best

I run a 348 with lead gas check boolits - would not even think about subbing that GC for a wad - and minus the gas check it would lead like crazy

Thank you Indian Joe, that makes sense. I was only thinking in terms of straight wall cases. A wad in a bottle neck could be a whole mess.

Boolit Master
    As the base is what (steers the projectile ) careful casting (crisp edges ) work and at BP velocities GC s are not needed ,its only when pushed to hard the base suffers . Why most BP molds are plain based ,for long range 1250/1300 fps gets you to 1000 yds paper patched or lubed ,doesn't matter as long as you match the BHN (hardness) to the weight/charge used (mine is 530 gr ) @ 20-1/16-1 with
    81 gr of OE 1 1/2F , pure with RB and pistol loads /Ed

Black powder used other methods. Obturation of the base from the sudden thrust of igniting powder (as the bullet rests on said powder) bumps up and seals the joint.

Also various wads are commonly used with exceptions of skirted mini balls and deep cupped conicals like the famous cupped base of the Trapdoor 405gr bullet.

You can use checked bullets, you can seat a greased felt wad between the bullet and powder (straight wall only) and that will lube the bore. In fact the greased felt wad is the perfect solution for gas checked or fully jacketed bullets over black powder in a pinch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    As the base is what (steers the projectile ) careful casting (crisp edges ) work and at BP velocities GC s are not needed ,its only when pushed to hard the base suffers . Why most BP molds are plain based ,for long range 1250/1300 fps gets you to 1000 yds paper patched or lubed ,doesn't matter as long as you match the BHN (hardness) to the weight/charge used (mine is 530 gr ) @ 20-1/16-1 with
    81 gr of OE 1 1/2F , pure with RB and pistol loads /Ed
    you dont use an overpowder wad in that long range load ???? interesting....................................

Boolit Master
    you dont use an overpowder wad in that long range load ???? interesting....................................
    poly 060 over the powder ,also used for compressing the OE 1 1/2 F 81 grains shaken not stirred powder thru a 32 inch drop tube if interested all topped of with a BACO Elliptical 530 gr 16-1 . I don't always type well/ miss a point but I will try to do better next time . Shooting long for 20+ yrs but still learning ! I do shoot short range too with different guns as I live on club grounds and can walk/4 wheel to both short 200 yd /long 800 yd /Ed
    Last edited by Edward; 02-15-2024 at 04:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    poly 060 over the powder ,also used for compressing the OE 1 1/2 F 81 grains shaken not stirred powder thru a 32 inch drop tube if interested all topped of with a BACO Elliptical 530 gr 16-1 . I don't always type well/ miss a point but I will try to do better next time . Shooting long for 20+ yrs but still learning ! I do shoot short range too with different guns as I live on club grounds and can walk/4 wheel to both short 200 yd /long 800 yd /Ed
    ahhhh thats better ......
    almost same here 045 hdpe wad (cant locate the LDPE stuff hereabouts) ----thought you were saying a wad didnt work and kinda wanted to argue about that but always best to ask first eh!
    I only shoot 500-600 a couple times a year (if that) got my own turf so can practice anytime but closer is easier - need to go plow my range backdrop again so can see fall of shot by the dust ....................