Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Marlin 1895 350 grain cast bullet

Boolit Bub

Marlin 1895 350 grain cast bullet

Hey guys and gals

I finally got a Marlin 1895 guide gun and want to cast for it.

Can you all recommend a bullet design and maker for a 350 grain lead bullet that will chamber without trouble in the 1895 chamber?

Should I get a gas check?

I plan tonuse IMR 3031amd make normal full power loads.

What do you think?

Boolit Bub
    What size should I size, online I see .460-.463 being popular for these rifles.

I really like accurate Molds for my magma master caster. Think I can cast these bullets on it or should I get a hand held mold?

Boolit Master
    Lee makes a 330 gr mold that I have had no problems with in my Marlin Cowboy. Sized to 458-459. I load minimum Trail Boss.

The RCBS flatnose designs are fantastic in Marlins. Accurate has many that are similar. You could use a Master Caster if you needed that many big bullets.

Boolit Master
    USMC 6638

Boolit Man
    I use a 350 grain Ranch Dog. I do gascheck mine. I have used the Lee 340, and 405 with Unique, and had no leading issues. The 350 I use R-7 and is my hunting Boolit, tumble lubes with liquid also and JPW with no leading. Boolit is sized to .460.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog
    ^^^^ CONCUR ^^^^
    But get Tom's LG version if you're going to hot rod it,

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5502496

My most often used mold for the 45-70 is a 4-cavity Lyman that casts 350 gr bullets. I size them 0.459" for my Marlin 1895. Accuracy is outstanding.

Boolit Master

The Accurate Molds website lists a lot of .46 bullets in various weights that have a description of ".45-70 Lever Action".

If you measure and fit the bullet to the gun well, the .45-70 won't need gas checks to about 1600 fps, and your Guide Gun will start to kill on both ends a little before that point.

Within those nose length confines, I have confirmed the Marlins will eat a .34" meplat handily with one of NOE's 405 grainers. If you stick with anything in the Accurate catalog kinda/sorta resembling the nose profile between the 46-355RJ and 46-405D, you shouldn't have a feeding problem. Within your weight preference, the 46-355N, RG, and RJ seem like no-brainers for a nice combo of feeding and blunt force trauma. All the same bullet - just choose your shank format. I'd be inclined to carefully measure and order to have the bullet dropping at the desired diameter and add a fourth design - tumble lube with a plain base, but YMMV.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    My younger brother bought a Henry lever action in 45-70, and I loaded him up some cartridges with Reloader #7 and the RCBS 45-405-FN (420 grains with my alloy) He did not much care for the recoil, especially while sighting in from the bench. I'd wanted a lighter bullet anyway, so I got a set of NOE 469-315-RF-AV3 molds (gas checked) These are much easier on the shoulder, and cycle fine in his gun.