RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zinc Casted Bullets

Boolit Buddy
    I don't shoot often and accumulated enough lead to last me past my able years in retirement. After then, I could shoot air rifles and pellets.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    I don't shoot often and accumulated enough lead to last me past my able years in retirement. After then, I could shoot air rifles and pellets.
    Nice, all WW??? Also never hurts to try something new.

Moderator Emeritus

I also have a lifetime supply of lead alloys, BUT, I worry about the californication of the rest of the States, where they ban lead for hunting...actually my State is real close. Then the worry is, will the State mandate leadfree ammo at public gun ranges?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I also have a lifetime supply of lead alloys, BUT, I worry about the californication of the rest of the States, where they ban lead for hunting...actually my State is real close. Then the worry is, will the State mandate leadfree ammo at public gun ranges?
    This is from one of the Cali Govy website on approved companies for hunting material/bullets. They have Roto Metal with the following options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20240209_191158_Drive.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ejg View Post
    Lighting a match stick in each cavity that leave a black coating. It's helped prevent zinc from sticking.
    A better approach is using colloidal graphite in isopropyl alcohol. A dry lubricant I've been using since the 1970s and my nuclear Navy days. Prevents stainless steel galling. Also resists hot lead and zinc; bullets usually fall out after that tap on the handle pivot.

Micro-Mark has it. Small bottle, it's pricey but it will last you 20 years if you use it correctly. Completely disassemble mould, clean with alcohol. Apply 2 thin coats, allow drying between coats. This stuff sticks in place.

www.micromark.com catalog number 83181 brand name Neolube $27.95/bottle as of February 2024.

If you decide to use as a lube on firearms, understand that it behaves like a lubricant AND polishing compound.

Dad bought brand new 1911 long slide pistol from San Diego manufacturer. Complained how rough it was. I did the neolube and told him to run 200 rounds through it then use alcohol to remove all of neolube and use a teflon lube after that. He claimed it felt like a brand new weapon (smoother). Graphite IS abrasive, it is also slippery.
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Retired = every day feels like Saturday EXCEPT Saturday

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JackQuest View Post
    A better approach is using colloidal graphite in isopropyl alcohol. A dry lubricant I've been using since the 1970s and my nuclear Navy days. Prevents stainless steel galling. Also resists hot lead and zinc; bullets usually fall out after that tap on the handle pivot.

Micro-Mark has it. Small bottle, it's pricey but it will last you 20 years if you use it correctly. Completely disassemble mould, clean with alcohol. Apply 2 thin coats, allow drying between coats. This stuff sticks in place.

www.micromark.com catalog number 83181 brand name Neolube $27.95/bottle as of February 2024.

If you decide to use as a lube on firearms, understand that it behaves like a lubricant AND polishing compound.

Dad bought brand new 1911 long slide pistol from San Diego manufacturer. Complained how rough it was. I did the neolube and told him to run 200 rounds through it then use alcohol to remove all of neolube and use a teflon lube after that. He claimed it felt like a brand new weapon (smoother). Graphite IS abrasive, it is also slippery.
    I'll have to try that out once I fix my Lyman Mould.

Are you getting any Barrel deposits or are zinc bullets self-cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Are you getting any Barrel deposits or are zinc bullets self-cleaning?
    Some Mini-balls had Zinc washers as far back as the Civil War that were supposed to clean the barrel between shots.

Commercially made Zinc bullets have been around off & on since 1930.
    Remington made them to be sold to law enforcement to punch holes in a car since the .38Spec. didn't do that very well.
    When the .357Mag came along, they were obsolete over night.

Zinc bullets are offered here and there, but never seem to do well, at least not yet.
    Midway has sold them here & there.

When offered, they were sized, but not lubed.
    The idea was that it isn't needed since all sort of things have Zinc castings with steel shaft going through them-
    Gear cases, carbarators, etc. and do fine.

Given the chance, I'd think Zinc will want to bond to Steel & foul about as much as Copper jackets do under heat & pressure.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Some Mini-balls had Zinc washers as far back as the Civil War that were supposed to clean the barrel between shots.

Commercially made Zinc bullets have been around off & on since 1930.
    Remington made them to be sold to law enforcement to punch holes in a car since the .38Spec. didn't do that very well.
    When the .357Mag came along, they were obsolete over night.

Zinc bullets are offered here and there, but never seem to do well, at least not yet.
    Midway has sold them here & there.

When offered, they were sized, but not lubed.
    The idea was that it isn't needed since all sort of things have Zinc castings with steel shaft going through them-
    Gear cases, carbarators, etc. and do fine.

Given the chance, I'd think Zinc will want to bond to Steel & foul about as much as Copper jackets do under heat & pressure.
    Yes I am interested to find out, but NOT at the end of a cleaning rod

Yes I am interested to find out, but NOT at the end of a cleaning rod
    That's kind of how I am.

I certainly learn from my own mistakes--
    However; I've found it to be cheaper, and less painful to learn from the mistakes of others.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I would not worry about being hard to remove zinc fouling. Mild acid like vinegar or citric will dissolve zinc and will not hurt the bore.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's kind of how I am.

I certainly learn from my own mistakes--
    However; I've found it to be cheaper, and less painful to learn from the mistakes of others.
    I have an AR9 that I've seen maybe 5k zinc bullets through. This AR has only shot zinc bullets since I've put it together and I haven't had any issues bonding. The bonding thing is mainly when you have molten zinc on steel where it'll melt the steel.

How I know is my PID had a steel rod in the melted zinc for roughly a year and melted. PID was set to 1000F

Quote Originally Posted by Ejg View Post
    I have an AR9 that I've seen maybe 5k zinc bullets through. This AR has only shot zinc bullets since I've put it together and I haven't had any issues bonding. The bonding thing is mainly when you have molten zinc on steel where it'll melt the steel.

How I know is my PID had a steel rod in the melted zinc for roughly a year and melted. PID was set to 1000F
    What other things have you done to make refining, casting and loading zinc bullets easier and more convienent?

Boolit Mold
    What other things have you done to make refining, casting and loading zinc bullets easier and more convienent?

The equipment has to be dedicated to zinc. You can't switch from one to the other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12