Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Home made ice cream receipts, please...

Home made ice cream receipts, please...

How do you make home made ice cream that is comparable to "Taste & Texture" to commercially made ice cream. Don't eat it very often , but would like to have decent receipt for every now & then.

I've gotten boxes of ice cream mix at the grocery store that turn out pretty good.
    Making it from scratch never seems to work as well.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    How do you make home made ice cream that is comparable to "Taste & Texture" to commercially made ice cream. Don't eat it very often , but would like to have decent receipt for every now & then.
    Most commercial ice-cream has too much air whipped into it. Good homemade will have a denser texture and a creamier taste.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Looking for a home receipt , from scratch..

Boolit Master

recipe, receipts are for taxes with my luck i probably spelled recipe wrong
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

need an ice cream machine for this. I hijacked from someone a couple years back
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 cup whole milk, full fat
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, Use clear vanilla if you prefer
    generous pinch vanilla bean powder
    pinch salt

In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, add heavy cream, whole milk, granulated sugar and light brown sugar.
    Stir until sugar has dissolved.
    Let mixture heat until it becomes a bit frothy. (do not boil)
    Remove from heat and place mixture in a large bowl.
    Let cool slightly and stir in vanilla extract & vanilla bean powder.
    Stir in a pinch of salt.(Taste to make sure the vanilla flavor is to your liking.)
    Cover with plastic wrap, being sure the plastic wrap touches the surface of the mixture to prevent the top from developing a skin.
    Refrigerate for 3 hours. (Overnight if possible. It NEEDS to be really cold)
    Remove from fridge and follow the directions of your ice cream maker.
    After churning in the ice cream maker for about 20 minutes pour ice cream into an ice container and freeze overnight if you prefer a harder ice cream. (Homemade, eggless ice cream has firm, soft-serve texture)

Boolit Master

This makes 1 gallon.
    2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
    12 oz cool whip (generic is fine)
    1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
    whole sweet milk

Add the sweetened condensed to about 3 pints of sweet milk and stir until well mixed.
    Add the vanilla and stir in well.
    Blend in the cool whip until well blended.
    Pour into your 1 gallon freezer and add enough sweet milk to bring up to the fill line and then freeze.
    This is how we have made it for the last 40+ years. You can add chocolate or the fruit of your choice or almost anything you would like. just reduce the milk proportionally to just reach your freezers fill line.
    We can no longer find 12 oz containers of cool whip only 8oz 16oz so we usually get 3 8oz containers and make 2 gallons at a time.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy

Thanks DCB ! The farm across from us raises Jerseys. Wow do they make the cream. My wife and I are spoiled. We get whole milk all the time. My wife makes great ice cream but her mix requires 4 egg yokes. Gona try your formula. Best regards.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Thanks DCB ! The farm across from us raises Jerseys. Wow do they make the cream. My wife and I are spoiled. We get whole milk all the time. My wife makes great ice cream but her mix requires 4 egg yokes. Gona try your formula. Best regards.
    Raw unpasteurized cream/milk makes way better ice cream than pasteurized cream.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-09-2024 at 11:19 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

If you have a fear of egg salmonella you can get "pasteurized" eggs that go thru a process to kill germs. May have to hunt for them, I have to go to a bigger city to find them.

Thanks all so much !!!!!

This is cheating but my grandmother used this recipe when I was a kid. It makes really good ice cream with gram crackers crumbled over it.

https://junketdesserts.com/?portfolio=vanilla-ice-cream

But they had a dairy farm so raw milk and cream were abundant.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Another interesting way to go. Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Raw unpasteurized cream/milk makes way better ice cream than pasteurized cream.

Until you've had goats milk ice cream you dont know what good is.
    We have several Nubians and even using store bought ice cream mix is better then store bought ice cream. If we want to get creative I open the Ice Cream Bible that I got at the book store. About 250 recipies.

Not really sure why someone would want to make it like store bought. Thats like when I'm making beer and someone asks me if I can replicate coors or bud (both VERY NASTY). I just want to reach over and slap them.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    Until you've had goats milk ice cream you dont know what good is.
    We have several Nubians and even using store bought ice cream mix is better then store bought ice cream. If we want to get creative I open the Ice Cream Bible that I got at the book store. About 250 recipies.

Not really sure why someone would want to make it like store bought. Thats like when I'm making beer and someone asks me if I can replicate coors or bud (both VERY NASTY). I just want to reach over and slap them.
    I started brewing, friend asked me if I could duplicate the Miller Lite he drinks... I stared at him for a few minutes then asked why in the HECK would I recreate that swill????