Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Uberti 1873 hunter

Uberti 1873 hunter

This seems interesting to me.

1860 Grip-frame is my favorite.

I suspect it is built on the same frame as the Cimmaron Bad Boy. This means it has a retractable firing pin.

Unlike the Bad Boy (with dumb writing on the side) this will be in 45 Colt as well. Given that it is 44 Magnum strength, this means that the heavy Ruger-T/C 45 Colt loads would be a go, I'd think.

Anybody with experience with heavy 45 Colt loads have any guidance?

Boolit Master

That IS a handsome thing. . .and a square-topped red dot would not look out of place on it.

Assuming you're working with modern gun strength, my approach for .45 Colt in a 4" Redhawk was to work within min/max range of the .44 Mag loads for the same bullet weight on the notion that greater bore volume would equate to less pressure, using Unique until comfort went away. I wanted a combat-ish load stouter than .45 ACP (otherwise, why not just run a 1911), but well short of "Baby Casull". For 250-255 grains, that worked out to about 9.5-10 grains and 1,000 fps. With a 7" single action, slow fire optics gun, I'd simply have climbed a little higher on that same ladder.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banner Sponsor

Is that an Octagon barrel?

I do not think the Uberti revolvers are as strong as Ruger. I think loads will need to be held to Colt pressures,

I like it.
    That gun in .44 magnum with an Ultradot 30 would be the cat's meow for me.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master

I doubt Uberti would sell a revolver that was chambered for the 44 magnum cartridge, knowing it would be shot with factory or full house loads and not being able to take the pressure.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

I have the Callahan, a 44mag model with the longer grip that, I think, they are referring to in the ad and standard sights. The grip frame fits my hand much better than the standard 1873 does. I've shot it a lot but with 200 gr at about 900 fps (about like a 44/40). I really like it. Only problem I've had so far is the cylinder stop spring (or whatever you call it) broke, and was replaced FOC by the factory. I had the same problem with my 357 cattleman too, actually. I can see how it would make a good hunting pistol but I have Smiths and Rugers with scopes that I hunt with.

I do not think the Uberti revolvers are as strong as Ruger. I think loads will need to be held to Colt pressures,
    It is CIP proofed for 44 Magnum. Kind of the last word for "is it strong enough?" Due to the larger diameter and greater case capacity similar energies can be achieved in 45 Colt to 44 Magnum with less pressure. It may be that the Rugers are in fact stronger, but that is because Ruger may have a greater safety factor (according to Linebaugh, its 100%). They are proofed for 44 Magnum, so a 45 Colt load 80% of the pressure of 44 Magnum, so 32,000 PSI MAX should be fine. https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/uploads/td...-200922-en.pdf It seems the proof load is ~52793 PSI for CIP. That 25% over 40,000 PSI. This would be the minimum. I would think it would be more.

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

Boolit Master
    I, too, am curious about the pressure rating in .45 Colt.