Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Do you collect & reload heavily tarnished range brass?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, but I do collect & shoot range brass.

63 50.00%
  • Yes, I shoot heavily tarnished brass.

61 48.41%
  • Collecting range brass is foolish.

2 1.59%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Shoot Tarnished Range Brass?

Boolit Master

common stuff sure, not so common stuff YES but when did you see any crudy 577-450 MH lying about/ Work hardening is an issue. Stuff that has been exposed to the sun for years will work hardin on one side and not the other. This can be a real problem when it fails in your chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I started wet tumbling with ss pins. It cleans so well I decided to see just how old and dirty it could clean up. I sought out some pieces that had been in the dirt for probably several years. It got clean, but there’s a point somewhere of tarnished it heavily tarnished that damages the brass. Like it gets weak and porous. The worst examples looked jagged at the case mouth. These split the neck when going through the full length sizer. I now just send the questionable ones directly to the scrap bucket.

Lightly tarnished will clean up in the wet tumbler, and those get used for plinking and such.

Some friends came out to shoot a few weeks ago in the snow. I picked up their brass and some of it got green overnight. I quickly ran all of it through the wet tumbler. Some of the ugly ones can still be identified, but I think it was caught in time and I still plan to use them.

Boolit Master

Topics like this just make me laugh, the whole shiny brass thing. I have my own outdoor range and I pick up the range brass, sometimes I find one that I missed and they are darn near black. They load and shoot just fine. Life is too short to worry about how shiny something is when it doesn't matter.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Have used range brass for 40 yrs, straight into the vibrator & walnut media after a range shoot & reloaded........all works as it should, tarnish doesn't inhibit my shooting in any way....

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Grand Master
    I will collect different range brass and take it home and clean it first. Either wet tumble or the vibrator cleaner. I leave the 223 for someone else, but sure looks like no one wants it as its still in the bucket. Got 13 of 45 colt cases the other day and last month, about 60 of '06 cases and the same 308 cases.

Boolit Master
    It all polishes up. Why not shoot it...

I typically just throw it in soapy water to remove most of the dirt, then rinse/dry, and into the tumbler for an hour or two. If it's heavily tarnished, I sometimes will toss it into a bath of diluted vinegar and soapy water instead, leaving it to sit for a little while before rinsing and drying. Once loaded, all my ammo gets tossed into the tumbler with a little NuFinish. Comes out looking like factory loaded ammo. And the NuFinish seems to give the brass/bullet a little protection from further oxidation.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

I pick up range brass no matter how tarnished it is, most of it comes out of the tumbler as shinny as new.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    It all polishes up. Why not shoot it...

I typically just throw it in soapy water to remove most of the dirt, then rinse/dry, and into the tumbler for an hour or two. If it's heavily tarnished, I sometimes will toss it into a bath of diluted vinegar and soapy water instead, leaving it to sit for a little while before rinsing and drying. Once loaded, all my ammo gets tossed into the tumbler with a little NuFinish. Comes out looking like factory loaded ammo. And the NuFinish seems to give the brass/bullet a little protection from further oxidation.
    Totally agree! Soak/wash it in hot tap water with a big teaspoon of citric acid powder ( or Lemishine) and a big squirt of dawn for 30 minutes will usually take off all the tarnish. After air drying over night tumble it in lizard litter for 2 hrs. Looks like it came off the store shelf. After close inspection I may cull a piece but not because it's been dirty.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have not bought ammo or brass for years the only reason I ever bought guns in 40 S&W was because I picked up so much brass off the ground and with picking up cheap lead where I can . With primers costing what they are and getting over 1000 rounds per pound of powder it's a good deal .

as long as it's structurally sound. I don't care what color it is.

The one on the left was found a year or two after it was dropped. I washed it off and it’s back in use.
    Sun annealing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Texas, is the case mouth broken on the black cartridge?

Boolit Grand Master

Kind of a loaded question ...
    I pick up heavily tarnished ( Brown ) range brass but I inspect it and run it through my Thumler's model B Tumbler and polish it .
    As long as the brass is in good condition and clean ... it doesn't have to shine like a new penny ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    You are reloading steel and aluminum cases?
    Yes. Then I use those in places where I know I am going to lose them
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    Yes. Then I use those in places where I know I am going to lose them
    Do you convert them to Boxer?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I pick up brass that I can use and use steel pins soap and citric acid and tumble for an hour or 2 and I'd say 99% come out looking like new. Run them thru corn cob with NuFinish and they stay tarnish free for quite a while.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    I have not bought ammo or brass for years the only reason I ever bought guns in 40 S&W was because I picked up so much brass off the ground and with picking up cheap lead where I can.
    Same here - but when I pick up brass now its

85% 9mm
    12% .45ACP
    3% anything else

If I use my Glock 22 Its a given I will lose some of it. Having picked up probably 10K+ of 9mm I have found

1 32acp
    3 32 magnum revolver
    16 380
    11 38 Super
    9 44 Special
    22 44 Magnum
    4 45LC
    3 50 AE
    and less than a hundred 40's
    Occasionally someone has a lever action and leaves 38 Special but I didn't keep track of those.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Do you convert them to Boxer?
    Stuff I find IS Boxer I don't question why. And honestly there isn't much of it.

I've used tarnished brass for decades (It's been just the past 8 years that I started tumbling in pins/citric acid)...for me...it is corroded if I can run my fingernail across the spot and it "feels" rough. Tarnish is still smooth to the touch...corrosion is not.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    I haven't picked range brass in years.
    But in 35 years of reloading I've never tumbled a piece of brass.
    So ... No, I don't really shoot range brass, but all of my brass is tarnished.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast