Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Gas checked 125 grain Flat point mold for .357 magnum

Boolit Buddy

Gas checked 125 grain Flat point mold for .357 magnum

I have been looking for a 125 grain gas check mold to shoot in a .357 magnum carbine. Needs a crimp groove and a flat point. Have not found it yet. I want to try to develop a load pushing it full tilt up around 2,200 fps with H-110. Needs to be sized to .359 so it needs to drop around .360 with Lyman No2. I’ve had some success with an NOE 124 gas checked TC but it has no crimp groove. That alone makes me a little twitchy in a tube fed magazine. I have also liked the results with H-110 better with a heavy roll crimp. Anyone know who makes a mold that might fit what I’m looking for?
    Thanks in advance to any of y’all that take the time to comment.
    Willie

Boolit Master
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Willie: Check out Accurate Molds 36-125-AG. It's a 125 grain flat point with a crimp groove, and it's gas checked.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank y’all!
    Willie

Boolit Buddy
    I really like the Ranch Dog 135-RF. It casts at 358 for me and you could always powder coat it. I crimp in the top lube groove and it shoots great in 357 rifles and revolvers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    I really like the Ranch Dog 135-RF. It casts at 358 for me and you could always powder coat it. I crimp in the top lube groove and it shoots great in 357 rifles and revolvers.
    Thank you for taking the time to make that suggestion sir. Is it a gas checked mold?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Willie: Check out Accurate Molds 36-125-AG. It's a 125 grain flat point with a crimp groove, and it's gas checked.
    That mold appears to be exactly what I’m looking for. I got on their website and tried to order one and got tangled up in some of their specs. .000-.002 tolerance and which size of iron blocks to order. The mold dropping .360-.361 would be perfect for lightly sizing to .359 to true things up a smidge to fly it’s best. The micro grooves in my carbine are .3577. It shoots Lyman No2 sized to .359 well. Single loading a gas checked Lyman No2 124 grain NOE TC lubed with Carnuba red, I was able to push it right at 2,150fps with H-110 and it shot pretty darn good with no leading. That is the direction I am pursuing. Single loading a lever gun with a 10 shot capacity was a buzz kill though. I tabled the order till I can talk to someone at Accurate to work out the details on my order. I also need to learn what handles fit the Accurate molds? I did see they sell corresponding top punches. For a $200 mold I need enough details to get my order correct on the first go before purchasing.
    Thanks again
    Willie

Most machined products have a dimension tolerance window. It's impossible to cast a bullet to a perfect .359000" diameter, so that's where the .000/.002 tolerance comes in.
    For sizing to .359, order .359 (-.000/+.002). That means that the resultant bullets are guaranteed to be at least .359 and at most .361.

The other choice is mold block size. Two cavity, for example, is offered in 1.8" length or 2.35" length. If you wanted a 35 caliber of 200 grains or more, I'd use the larger 2.35" block because it won't overheat quickly. A 125 grain should use the smaller, 1.8" block, or the 2.35" block with three cavities.

Does that make sense? Use Lee or RCBS handles.

Boolit Grand Master
    Arsenal moulds has a 135 gr Ranch dog clone and a 138gr rnfp g/c with crimp groove.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    Most machined products have a dimension tolerance window. It's impossible to cast a bullet to a perfect .359000" diameter, so that's where the .000/.002 tolerance comes in.
    For sizing to .359, order .359 (-.000/+.002). That means that the resultant bullets are guaranteed to be at least .359 and at most .361.

The other choice is mold block size. Two cavity, for example, is offered in 1.8" length or 2.35" length. If you wanted a 35 caliber of 200 grains or more, I'd use the larger 2.35" block because it won't overheat quickly. A 125 grain should use the smaller, 1.8" block, or the 2.35" block with three cavities.

Does that make sense? Use Lee or RCBS handles.
    Thank you Tom. Makes perfect sense. I think that squares me away.

Willie

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Arsenal moulds has a 135 gr Ranch dog clone and a 138gr rnfp g/c with crimp groove.
    Thank you sir!