Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is your preferred powder for 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by atfsux View Post
    I am glad your results have been better than mine. All I can point to is my own experiences.

Yes, I was loading some FMJ 147 grain Magna projectiles from Midsouth over a charge of 3.1 grains of Titegroup, which BARELY cycled my Glock 19. The cases seemed to just sort of burble out of the top of the slide, flying up just millimeters, then falling at my feet. And it was DIRTY.
    Totally agree on Titegroup. I will not use it. Dirty sooty powder. I have most of a pound left and have no use for it. I like TiteWad instead really well. Actually is clean burning and super cheap to load 9mm.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Totally agree on Titegroup. I will not use it. Dirty sooty powder. I have most of a pound left and have no use for it. I like TiteWad instead really well. Actually is clean burning and super cheap to load 9mm.
    If you guys don't like Titegroup, you ought to try Unique once or twice. Now THAT is a dirty powder. But I do love it....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I like Red Dot.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I like Red Dot.
    Me too....its not like its some super accurate requirement for the 9mm for ringing steel. 3-3.5 grains all thats needed to get 1000fps across most popular weights of cast boolits. Meter's "good enough" and since I will load up 500 at a time having 8lb kegs on hand makes it an easy choice.
    Last edited by Electrod47; 02-15-2024 at 11:28 AM.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Tightgroup is my general handgun powder of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    If you guys don't like Titegroup, you ought to try Unique once or twice. Now THAT is a dirty powder. But I do love it....

I find TiteGroup to be dirtier than Unique. I used TG after using Unique for years and was shocked at how dirty it was because I had heard good things about it.

Recently my FIL was shooting at my house and his gun and brass looked like charcoal. I asked him what powder he was using. Titegroup of course.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I find TiteGroup to be dirtier than Unique. I used TG after using Unique for years and was shocked at how dirty it was because I had heard good things about it.

Recently my FIL was shooting at my house and his gun and brass looked like charcoal. I asked him what powder he was using. Titegroup of course.
    I guess I just haven't shot enough Titegroup to notice it being dirtier than Unique... But to be fair, in my experience most dirty powders are dirtiest at lower pressures. I know even Unique cleans up quite a bit when I start approaching book max loads.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

I've found light tg loads tend to be dirtier..mid and high loads can be as clean as many others.

Once upon a time I left a load of .45acp brass tumbling in the garage all weekend. Just plain forgot until I went out there 2 days later. After 48 hours of that, the walnut media was like half the granule size it had been, and a pulverized talcum powder like residue of walnut was static-clung to all brass, inside and out.

Being my typical lazy self, I didn't want to have to wash and dry all that brass. Since it had already been sized and decapped, it only needed to have a primer, charge and projectile seated. After which I could give it a quick run through a new batch of walnut for about 5 minutes and only contaminate that batch of media with about half of the powdery residue I would if I did it right away, prolonging that batch and not creating so much dust. I figured the powdery residue inside the cases would burn up along with the surplus 30 year old IMR PB propellant I was using up because it had been nearly free. (Yes, I'm a cheap SOB. And lazy, too.)

Well that was an adventure.

I had loaded some 230 grain plain cast, and was shooting it out of my Thompson M1A1. Holy mother of smoke,...that was nearly like shooting black powder! Not only did the exhaust have a unique smell of lead, wax lube and smoldering walnut (which I have to say was rather pleasing), not only did it chug great puffs of what you might see out of an old out-of-tune 1959 Nash with a stuck valve,...but it was throwing flaming sparkles of still burning clumps of powdery walnut crud.

Now THAT was dirty!
    Last edited by atfsux; 02-15-2024 at 08:55 PM.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Mold
    For year's I've used AA#7 with great results. When that runs out I have a few lbs of AA#5, which also worked well.

Boolit Master
    MY favorites are Alliant Unique, Alliant Herco, and AA#5, with no preference among them. I'm more familiar with Alliant propellants than from any other manufacturer, so I'll use them for reference. Generally, any propellant with a burn rate between Red Dot and Blue Dot (including these) will work at least adequately for 9mm, and the ones toward the middle of this range offer you the best compromise between performance and economy.
    W231 is probably a not-half-bad propellant. It meters well, burns cleanly, and behaves well. It will not give you the last possible millijoule of kinetic energy possible from the round, but its economy usually makes this forgivable. W244 or W572 will give you better performance, and fewer rounds reloaded per pound. but if the extra 100-150 f/s is worth it, then use the less economical propellant.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I`m using 700X, because I have 10# of it.
    I have used several other powders with equal success.

Boolit Master

AA#5, HS-6 and WSF for most loads. 700X is a good one for 147's suppressed. I don't really like the way 700X meters threw the Dillon but it is clean enough and quiet.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Whatever you got.... it's the caliber I load the most. Yeah factory is pretty cheap but I can load for less than half even with $100 a box primers. I've used red dot, CFE, power pistol, Sr4795, and others. I just opened up a 4pounder of WSF. It actually works well, some 147 gr hit exactly the Hodgson probably won't finish that bottle for a long while at 3.8 or 3.9gr per case.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Not trying to be picky, but did you mean SR4759?

Boolit Bub
    Since I’m mostly shooting my own powder coated bullets my go to powder is alliant sport pistol. It was designed to prevent burning or melting of the coating from lead bullets. I’ve tried bullseye and titegroup but those powders would weaken the powder coating if I let them sit for a few weeks. I still use the bullseye and titegroup whenever I get ahold of plates or jacketed bullets

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234