Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Winchester 92 owners have this issue?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    notice where his thumb is?
    Yup. But I still think that, not matter your personal technique, you should not draw blood when you cycle the action. I will be filing/stoning that corner off.

Boolit Mold
    Bridger, I also have been bitten or scraped by the locking lug on my Miroku '92. I only had Marlins before the Miroku . I had to figure it was just my own bad way of opening the lever. My hits have been from a single corner of the right side lug.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dangt View Post
    Bridger, I also have been bitten or scraped by the locking lug on my Miroku '92. I only had Marlins before the Miroku . I had to figure it was just my own bad way of opening the lever. My hits have been from a single corner of the right side lug.
    Sorry to hear that, but on the other hand I am glad that it is not just me. That is exactly where I am getting the issue. Did you just adjust your technique or have you smoothed out that corner? I have been using lever guns for 30 years. Marlins and Winchesters both. Never had any issues at all until my fist model 92 (never owned an 1886). After all this time, it will be difficult for me to change an old habit (notice I did not say a bad habit). In fact, I was handling the 92 the other day and caught the base of my thumb on the lug again. At least it did not draw blood this time so maybe I am getting a little more used to it.

That clears things up a bit. For some reason I was thinking you were hitting the bolt, not the locking lug. I can see how you'd might hit that, even though I don't hit it myself. I'd have no issues taking a sharp corner or edge off the locking lug, It's in the white anyway.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Mold
    Sorry for the delay. I have just lived with it. It seems to happen when I operate the lever with the carbine not shouldered. I have not been scraped when the gun is shouldered. So, I guess my answer is I've just adjusted to it and try to think about what I'm doing.

If I have a relapse I'll probably stone the corner, breaking its edge.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dangt View Post
    Sorry for the delay. I have just lived with it. It seems to happen when I operate the lever with the carbine not shouldered. I have not been scraped when the gun is shouldered. So, I guess my answer is I've just adjusted to it and try to think about what I'm doing.

If I have a relapse I'll probably stone the corner, breaking its edge.
    Yup. I have already stoned mine.

Boolit Buddy
    I had two granddads that were old town marshalls in Oklahoma during the oil boom of the 1920s and 1930s. One carried an old Winchester 92 and the other an old Marlin lever gun, and they taught us to shoot those lever guns, and I never had my thumb come anywhere close to the bolt or locking lugs when working the action. But have to admit that our granddads carried their lever guns for years, and used them every day for a very long life.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
    I had two granddads that were old town marshalls in Oklahoma during the oil boom of the 1920s and 1930s. One carried an old Winchester 92 and the other an old Marlin lever gun, and they taught us to shoot those lever guns, and I never had my thumb come anywhere close to the bolt or locking lugs when working the action. But have to admit that our granddads carried their lever guns for years, and used them every day for a very long life.
    That's a great story, thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear some more or see some pictures of those guns and or granddads.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Man
    Wow, never heard of that problem before. I have about a half dozen 92’s and none have that trouble. I wouldn’t hesitate to stone or file it down, after all you did buy it to use didn’t you?
    Good luck with it.