RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Winchester 92 owners have this issue?

Boolit Mold

Any Winchester 92 owners have this issue?

John Browning must have had a callus at the base of his right thumb?

Just kidding (maybe). I am wondering if anyone out there gets that joke? I just purchased a new, Miroku made, Winchester 92 in 45 Colt. First time I have ever handled a lever action based on this (or the 1886) design.

The first time I cycled the lever I got a nasty cut at the base of my right thumb. Turns out that the right side locking lug has a rather sharp point at the lower rear corner. Whenever I crank the lever in a natural (for me) fashion, I get whacked in the thumb so I have to always be conscience of how I cycle the rifle (which kind of sucks).

Anyone else ever have this issue? I am wondering if maybe I should just take a metal file to that corner and round it off?

On a positive note, this rifle otherwise handles fantastic and the action is super smooth.

Thanks,
    Mike

Boolit Master
    I have owned several 92 rifles but I use my thumb in the lever to open the action then slap it shut with my fingers - both movements are done with an open hand. I do not stick my fingers inside the lever.

Boolit Master
    Never a problem with my first year production, original M92.
    And, I do put my three fingers inside the lever as I "crank in" another round.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

I have never had that issue with an original or the Miroku models.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    No issue with my 1911 version. I would use a fine cut file and then a stone to take the edge off so it is not sharp.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks,

Has anyone noticed if any part of their lever hand even comes into contact with the locking lug or if the lug is sharp? Maybe I need to just change the way I cycle the action but old habits die hard. Or maybe I do just need to disassemble the rifle and file away at that one corner until it is no longer sharp.

Mike

Boolit Master
    I had to check - so I went inside and worked the action on my 92. My hand never comes anywhere close to the locking lugs.

Regardless, I think stoning the sharp corners won't hurt anything.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I had to check - so I went inside and worked the action on my 92. My hand never comes anywhere close to the locking lugs.

Regardless, I think stoning the sharp corners won't hurt anything.
    Yup. I think that is the way I need to go.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

can't be as bad as an M1 Garand thumb. I have had several 92s and never had a problem.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I keep my thumb well clear of the action when cycling the lever, only use the two middle fingers of my dominant hand to work the lever. I have big fingers so I can't shove all three fingers in the loop.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have a Winchester 92, and an 1886 made by Miroku, and I do not have this problem. I'd certainly take some sharp edges off though if I did.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

If your thumb is hitting anything when you cycle the action, you need to retrain your thumb. I shoot cowboy action with a 92 and keep my thumb out away from the action.
    But you should also take that sharp edge off for safety sake.

Sam Sackett

Get stoned, not filed.....
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I had my wife cycle my 92 earlier to see if her untrained hands would get near the bolt. Nope. I had a heck of a time forcing my thumb up around the bolt when cycling too.

I went ahead and shot a couple mags out of it... yep, they are smooth and fast.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I have owned several 92 rifles but I use my thumb in the lever to open the action then slap it shut with my fingers - both movements are done with an open hand. I do not stick my fingers inside the lever.
    its called a finger lever in the old catalogs for a reason - intended to be "thrown" open and flicked shut with the middle joint of a couple of fingers

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. Very helpful. For clarification, I am getting cut right a the very base of my thumb. I am guessing that, never owning a 92 before, perhaps I have developed some bad habits when it comes to operating the lever although they never seemed like such until now. I will have to experiment with some of the suggestions here. Be that as it may, I am a little disappointed that this rifle left the factory with such a sharp surface that is exposed to human flesh whenever the action is open.

I wonder if my rifle is an anomaly in this regard?

Thanks again everyone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. Very helpful. For clarification, I am getting cut right a the very base of my thumb. I am guessing that, never owning a 92 before, perhaps I have developed some bad habits when it comes to operating the lever although they never seemed like such until now. I will have to experiment with some of the suggestions here. Be that as it may, I am a little disappointed that this rifle left the factory with such a sharp surface that is exposed to human flesh whenever the action is open.

I wonder if my rifle is an anomaly in this regard?

Thanks again everyone.
    hopefully an anomaly -- regardless of lever operating method I would stone that sharp edge until it wont cut anymore

Boolit Master

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    It would except that is me in the video! Just kidding. I wish! Anyway, he is cheating. That's an 1873, not an 1892 so no blood drawn!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    It would except that is me in the video! Just kidding. I wish! Anyway, he is cheating. That's an 1873, not an 1892 so no blood drawn!
    notice where his thumb is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast