Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Measuring Three Groove Rifling in a Trapdoor Springfield

Boolit Bub

Measuring Three Groove Rifling in a Trapdoor Springfield

I'm strongly considering purchasing a high quality v-anvil mic for measuring chamber casts and pound casts from the three groove rifling in my TDs. That tool looks like it would measure boolit diameters a little easier also. Does anyone know of an easier, better, (or cheaper) way to measure three groove rifling?

Also, I understand it will measure the groove diameter but what can be used to measure the bore diameter? I have tools for checking bores in shallow holes that could measure the bore at the muzzle but not deeper than that or in the chamber area.

Boolit Grand Master

This addresses all your questions. https://www.texas-mac.com/Measuring_...ove_Bores.html

New Chinese are $159 and up online. Watch eBay. A rusty but serviceable STARRETT NO. 483 V ANVIL MICROMETER is listed for $37.95Buy It Now+$6.80 shipping
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-05-2024 at 11:03 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That information is exactly what I needed but I didn't know how to find it or even that it existed.

May your tribe increase upon the earth.

Pin gauge sets are usually used to measure bore diameter. Not groove diameter, as slugging the bore will give that.