Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could not help myself .44 Walker

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I think it was the movie Lonesome Dove with Robert Duvall.
    He had a Walker and had the loading rod tied in place with a piece of leather.
    Yup Gus packed a Walker.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've had several Walkers over the years. Fun, but heavy. Believe it or not, I used one for a concealed weapon for a period!
    Conceal!?
    Not exactly a pocket pistol!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I put a small step in the forward edge of the lever latch spring to stop the lever fall on my two Walkers. (A dremel can make you and break you)
    Epoxy or threadlock that spring into its slot or you're gonna lose it.
    My walker load for Cowboy Action shooting is 44grs FFg Goex+lube wad+.454 ball+ Remington #10 cap.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Thanks for the load information. Appreciate that.

Boolit Master
    Seen added detail of loose in dovetail, that's a pretty easy fix. Drive out to what would be the RH side of gun, backwards upside down. Take a 1/4" nice square clean punch and starting on left side (right side upside down) start peening dovetail lips at about on an eighty degree angle on edge lightning up coming across. Tap, tap, tap just enough and not crazy smacks leaving enough to still stick nose of spring in slot. When you think you have cold worked a couple thousandths clean oil free and red loctiite and send her home. Let it sit for a day and away you go. Holding it secure in padded vise or someone steady holding on non-marring makes all the difference in the world in process/outcome.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    the walker is absolutely awesome ----- how the heck did you manage to "conceal" one ??????
    High ride shoulder holster, and a long jacket!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Shot her for 1st time yesterday at our “winter shoot” in the cup of soup match. That’s a blanket shoot with the entry being two cans of food for the food pantry and a cup or mug for the blanket. Winner gets going of cup on down. They used a ten shot target intended for rifle shooting. Every one else used a rifle I shot the Walker. No loading lever drop with 40grs 3f. Cool thing is my target was not last! Out of 20 shooters was 4th from the bottom. Had fun regardless.

Boolit Master
    You need to find a shoulder stock to fit that Walker.
    It might help you in shooting against rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    You need to find a shoulder stock to fit that Walker.
    It might help you in shooting against rifles.
    Oh I have plenty of rifles. My shooting the walker started as a joke between friends to give em a chance to beat me. Told em I was bring a rifle I had never shot but they did not think that was enough of a handicap. Lol. Been nice to have scored better but had no clue where it would shoot.
    Sorta had it figured by shot no 8

Boolit Master
    I was just looking at fleabay.
    They had a shoulder stock for the 1860 model for sale.
    It isn't very cheap considering how much people would actually use one of them.

Boolit Master

Love my Uberti Walker. 50 gr of 3F behind a cast Lee 200 gr RN, is some fun shooting. It has become my Tractor/4wheeler/Truck gun. I’ve actually rolled coyotes at nearly 100 yds with it.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    Love my Uberti Walker. 50 gr of 3F behind a cast Lee 200 gr RN, is some fun shooting. It has become my Tractor/4wheeler/Truck gun. I’ve actually rolled coyotes at nearly 100 yds with it.
    That is simply amazing!

I can just see Boerrancher taking the hogleg to his deer stand next. Those 9" barrels are like shooting a rifle.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    I can just see Boerrancher taking the hogleg to his deer stand next. Those 9" barrels are like shooting a rifle.
    .....and with 50 grains of BP...no problem!

Dang, nice! The Walker was the most powerful handgun in the US until the .357 mag was invented. Nice that modern Walkers are steel, not cast iron!
    As for concealed, well, I knew a guy years ago who would carry a 357 Desert Eagle in a shoulder holster with no one the wiser. But can you imagine the look on the thug's face when THAT smoke wagon got skinned?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    The Paterson also didn’t have a integral loading lever. It was separate.
    The first models used a bizarre loading tool to take the gun apart to load it, but later models of the Patterson did have a lever. And had the same locking mechanism that the Walker did

Patterson model #5
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    The first models used a bizarre loading tool to take the gun apart to load it, but later models of the Patterson did have a lever. And had the same locking mechanism that the Walker did

Patterson model #5
    I stand corrected.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I stand corrected.
    You still know more than I do about just about all of this
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master
    The Walker is a novelty and I guess everyone should try one. I had two, lot of fun but less accurate than a comparable caliber rifle.

Here are mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-08-28 17.08.17.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	324382

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-08-28 17.10.29.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	324383

Sold both last month.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I have an extra barrel and was toying the idea of 5". How did it feel and shoot, help with the balance at all?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast