MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could not help myself .44 Walker

Could not help myself .44 Walker

Almost made it through the whole weekend gunshow without buying a gun. Then I found this huge hunk of steel. Uberti.44 Walker. Nice gun but a rather rinkie dink spring to hold the loading leaver in place. Anyone have a decent solution to improve that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CC69BC9E-A9ED-4905-929A-36A854076077.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Google “Walker Colt loading lever fix”. Several good ideas.

Boolit Master
    Seen a few threads on this over the years, I have a few of these. The best seems to be and works for me up to about 35-40 grains, over that, leather strap. A nice small file and sharpen and square the latch shelf, remember it's tough to put it back on. Little bit goes a long way in helping the situation.

Thanks. The spring is loose in its dovetail so appears easily lost.

Boolit Buddy
    Historically accurate. Only gun Colt had made up to then was a .36 and it didn't have enough recoil for this to be an issue. Everything after this had a loading lever that had a lock on the end.

Boolit Master
    The Paterson also didn’t have a integral loading lever. It was separate.

I made a figure 8 out of a piece of steel banding strap that slips over the Walker barrel and lever. I can slide it forward when loading then slide back to fire. However, it does have a tendency to wear lengthwise marks in the bluing.

Thank. Looking forward to shooting it. I tend to like my single shots mainly since cleaning is simpler but when you need 5 shots fast (yes I know it has 6 chambers) hard to beat a revolver.

Congratulations, it's pretty.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Now you need to buy a horse to carry it around.

Got horses but doubt my wife will let me use one to haul the pistol around. Lol.

Boolit Master
    Nice revolver!!
    If you look at the historical reports of the gun, your complaint was mentioned by several when it was a service weapon. Rawhide thong was the most common fix in the day.

It is historically accurate, and I've done nothing to correct it on mine. It's part of the charm of shooting them, 'as they were', in my opinion. Might consider the rawhide....would have made sense in the day as a field fix, thus being, perhaps, even more historically accurate!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seems a darned inconvenient thing when the Comanche’s are bearing down on you. But better than a single shot.

Boolit Master
    Oddly, the latch on my ASM Walker has never let the loading lever go, even firing 60-gr charges. That angle of engagement on the spring and latch has to be exactly right (I guess) in order to work. Too little, and the lever drops on recoil; too much, and the lever can’t be pulled down for loading at all.

Mine had a bunch of other “issues,” which were slowly worked through, and an uneasy truce exists between us now, in that the last couple shooting sessions have gone without a hitch. But the Walker is certainly in a class by itself as a black powder revolver.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've had several Walkers over the years. Fun, but heavy. Believe it or not, I used one for a concealed weapon for a period!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've had several Walkers over the years. Fun, but heavy. Believe it or not, I used one for a concealed weapon for a period!
    Reminds me of a similar quote but changed a bit “pistol? That’s not a pistol. This is a pistol”. Lol

Boolit Buddy
    This works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1022.jpg   IMG_1023.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    the walker is absolutely awesome ----- how the heck did you manage to "conceal" one ??????

Boolit Master
    10 or so years ago, James Julia auctions in Maine had a Walker in their antique gun auction. They actually let my wife handle it, without gloves. I don't remember what it sold for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Walker-32.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I think it was the movie Lonesome Dove with Robert Duvall.
    He had a Walker and had the loading rod tied in place with a piece of leather.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast