Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not sizing before seating cast boolits

Banned

not sizing before seating cast boolits

I see that I can seat an over sized cast in a fired case as long as the case chambers freely. I pin gauges a fired case on a 44, and it's .430. I plan on casting a .432 boolit, and my groove is .431. The throats are a tad bit over .432.

IF I decide to load per say a .431 cast, and will a light crimp to rid the bell be enough with .001 tension not cause the boolits to back out of the case with recoil ? Or just give it a decent crimp and I'll be fine. I ask this because I'm sure a crimp effects neck tension of course, but how much ? Is a Lee factory a better way to go ?

Boolit Grand Master

I assume you're loading some kind of 44. I don't think that .001 tension is enough to retail bullets unless you are shooting a real light CAS load like 3 grs of Trail Boss. I've loaded fired and belled cases but utilize a standard crimp. I've found that crimp tension itself is not as critical as using an "M" type die to expand the neck slightly.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    I see that I can seat an over sized cast in a fired case as long as the case chambers freely. I pin gauges a fired case on a 44, and it's .430. I plan on casting a .432 boolit, and my groove is .431. The throats are a tad bit over .432.

IF I decide to load per say a .431 cast, and will a light crimp to rid the bell be enough with .001 tension not cause the boolits to back out of the case with recoil ? Or just give it a decent crimp and I'll be fine. I ask this because I'm sure a crimp effects neck tension of course, but how much ? Is a Lee factory a better way to go ?
    a LEE FC Carbide will undo what you're trying to do, unless you remove the fixed carbide insert, bashing it out from above, and retaining only the crimp function, served by the upper movable insert_
    the crimp is however just the cherry on the cake, the final kiss (thank, Rob!)_ if the necks do not have enough homogeneous tension between them, obtainable with a partial sizing, next a light swaging & flaring, the crimp alone is not ok, at what I learned_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 02-04-2024 at 06:39 PM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Size about 1/3 of the neck.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

First a crimp does not effect neck tension.
    Regarding, "boolits to back out of the case with recoil"
    this is something you are gonna have to investigate by trial and error, since measuring the amount of neck tension and recoil can't really be measured by the hobbiest's equipment that most of us have...and the effect of the lube you use.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    recoil can and will drive a bullet past the face of the cylinder. And l’m sure l don’t need to tell you what the result of that is. A guy from a range l used to belong to couldn’t release his cylinder. The bullet landed past the forcing cone.
    Last edited by castmiester; 02-05-2024 at 03:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    Not just groove diameter, what’s the cylinder throat? Too many Smith 29s were too big, wonder why?

Banned
    I don’t have a bigger pin gauge but the .432 one is a tad too small. Thinkin it’s .4325. I just made some oversized slugs l have to run through shorty. Don’t think a .432 lube sizer is available. Guess l could have one honed to .432.
    Last edited by castmiester; 02-05-2024 at 03:21 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Size about 1/3 of the neck.
    Eventually that won’t work when they don’t chamber.

if you need a mild but full full sizing, a LFCcarbide die can help you, thank to the lower carbide insert, once you've removed his upper crimp bushing_
    this won't spare from the mandatory 1/3 of the neck real sizing, as advised by Waksupi_
    this because, even if the bullets can seem tight fit without the 1/3 real sizing, often once crimped they can be turned by fingers (!) as I have discovered in one of my miserable tests_
    Rob

Banned
    Lee Factory Crimp carbide die... it's a full length and a crimp die. The instructions say it sizes even after you crimp the case mouth on it's way out. I guess I can gather it's not completely sizing at the mouth, but is at the head. I can't how just sizng 1/3 of the neck helps anything. A taper crimp would work but how much is the question.

I don't agree that a crimp doesn't increase neck tension.
    Last edited by castmiester; 02-05-2024 at 07:27 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

recoil can and will drive a bullet past the face of the cylinder. And l’m sure l don’t need to tell you what the result of that is. A guy from a range l used to belong to couldn’t release his cylinder. The bullet landed past the forcing cone.
    I agree.
    I was trying to explain why the question you asked, can't be answered by anyone, except by you, by trial and error.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Lee Factory Crimp carbide die... it's a full length and a crimp die. The instructions say it sizes even after you crimp the case mouth on it's way out.
    >>>SNIP
    It sizes, but what size?
    ...and the big problem when sizing a case with a boolit seated, is they spring back at different rates...you actually lose neck tension.

SNIP>>>
    A taper crimp would work but how much is the question.
    I don't agree that a crimp doesn't increase neck tension.
    the crimp (if not into a crimp groove) will not increase neck tension. If your crimp is on a band (barrel surface contact band) it 'can' lessen neck tension due to the spring back at different rates, the case mouth will spring back more than the lead under the case mouth. You will still have the original neck tension in the remaining part of the neck, but less area of grip, hence less neck tension, probably.

Again, do a trial and error test with your tools, your load, and your gun.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

partially (1/3) sizing with any proper sizing die should allow adequate neck tension to be given while keeping the remaining 2/3 of the unsized brass as centered as possible into cylinder chambers_

if you work with an unmodified LFCcarbide die and following the factory/leaflet instructions,
    but starting with an oversize .432 bullet,
    you will obtain anyway a resized bullet well under you desired .432_
    this because the carbide insert at the mouth of the die will resize per factory specs brass&bullet on the same stroke_ this twice: first time upstroke=entering,
    (next the loaded ammo, pushed up, will be roll crimped),
    and again when the roll crimped loaded ammo will exit=downstroke from the LFCcarbide die_
    plainly said, if you have started with a .432 bullet, easy that you will end with a .429 loaded ammo
    (if the brass won't collapse and be crushed on the upstroke)_

my posts #3 and #10 here concern two different custom modifications to the LFCcarbide die_
    the factory instructions not recommend nor have nothing to do with them, o.c._
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 02-06-2024 at 12:25 AM.
    Rob

You should be looking at the different sized expanders for your 44cal's.

With only 1/1000th's neck tension you'll be playing with fire.

Most mfg's use +/- 4/1000th's neck tension for cast bullets. A link to the N. E. O. website, for a .431" bullet they make a .427" expander plug.
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...27-p-exp-plug/

Most of my bullet casting is done with a soft 8/9bhn alloy. I've made several different custom expanders for oversized bullets. I've never gone under .0025" expander (.431" bullet/ .4285" expander) or bad things happened. And even at that the low neck tension wasn't worth the shotgun patterns I was rewarded with on the targets.

I use 3/1000th's neck tension on all of the custom expanders I make. Makes a huge difference in consistency/accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee collet crimp die ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    You should be looking at the different sized expanders for your 44cal's.

With only 1/1000th's neck tension you'll be playing with fire.

Most mfg's use +/- 4/1000th's neck tension for cast bullets. A link to the N. E. O. website, for a .431" bullet they make a .427" expander plug.
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...27-p-exp-plug/

Most of my bullet casting is done with a soft 8/9bhn alloy. I've made several different custom expanders for oversized bullets. I've never gone under .0025" expander (.431" bullet/ .4285" expander) or bad things happened. And even at that the low neck tension wasn't worth the shotgun patterns I was rewarded with on the targets.

I use 3/1000th's neck tension on all of the custom expanders I make. Makes a huge difference in consistency/accuracy.
    Wondered about that.... even with casts and soft ones at that. Yeah.

Don't you mean .003 not .0003 ?

I have a cowboy expander .428 mic'd and marked .430. A 50 year rep from RCBS told me it's .002 neck tension. My .357 CB expander is .356 and "should" be .355 springback. Loading .359 .004 neck tension....

Fired case ID is .358, seated bullet.. .359. Weird... OD .380, after a seated .359, OD hasn't changed. I always wondered if .004 was too much tension. Guess I need a custom neck expander.

Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    Lee collet crimp die ?
    on my previous posts I was referring to .44magnum Lee Factory Crimp Carbide DIE_

.44magnum Lee Collet Style Crimp Die it's another matter_

before starting some confusion/misunderstanding, here the att.mts about the LEE COLLET STYLE CRIMP DIE...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRODUCT INFO.jpg   RADIAL-COLLET STYLE.jpg   LFCD radial.jpg   COLLET STYLE FACTORY CRIMP #90930.jpg  
    Rob

...and here the leaflet about the .44 magnum LFC CARBIDE DIE I was referring to in my previous posts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LEE CARBIDE FCD.jpg  
    Rob

Banned
    And..... ?

the carbide sizes and crimps in one die. Can't justify having this die. Don't see any reason of having to resize the case. There is no reason to....
    Last edited by castmiester; 02-06-2024 at 04:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast