Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which old caliber to choose? 32-40 Vs 38-55?

Boolit Bub

Which old caliber to choose? 32-40 Vs 38-55?

Thank you very much for the great replies on the bore condition thread. I received enough input to realize we all enjoy talking about our findings, so let's try this one.

I want a caliber big enough for a 200 yard deer kill, and to me that means 32 special/ 32-40, or 38-55. I understand the 32-20 choice, but for me I need to have the highest velocity lead will allow, which weads the small ctg out.

So for debate, which of these bores is easiest to cast good bullets, and have a decent choice of molds? This would be in a pre-war rifle, Marlin or Winchester. I found some articles on this, but of course more real-world info from you adds to the mix for selection.

I have a 358 win in a new BLR, but this "soon to be mine" rifle would be more of a plinker w/ possible hunting use.

Thank you very much

Allen

Banned

I can't reply about 200 yd hunting with these calibers however a friend had a 38-55 and I could not believe how accurate it was with cast boolits.

Boolit Master

I have always been a 38-55 fan. Honestly I have never had any of the chamberings you mentioned, but over the years, I like like you have been kicking around the idea of something between my 30-30 and 45-70. I always figured the 38-55 would be the ideal cartridge. There is a fairly good selection of moulds from the various manufactures, not a lot by any given one, but there are a few good looking designs. I was thinking about the new Mini Sharps in a 38-55. I just have to come up with the cash first, and I have a transaction I am working on for a Mod 92 winnie, and once I am done with that, I will start saving for the mini sharps.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

If you check Lyman #48, you'll see that they actually list faster loads with cast for the .38-55 (in stronger rifles) than they do for the .375 Winchester. Rather amusing. The .38-55 was one of the great 200-300 yard target rounds and Dr. Hudson considered it more accurate, especially in the wind, than the .32-40. Recoil will get your attention, though.
    Rick

Boolit Bub
    Thank you.

Good point on the recoil. I suspect the hook buttplate is a factor....

Thank you
    Allen

Your .358 is much more than a plinker. I'm in the process of building a .35 Whelen (another possible choice). I've got a 38-55 barrel for my Handi rifle, haven't done much with it though. This (38-55) cartridge seems a mite puny in the case capacity department to me.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

The 38-55 is going to be a tough act to follow. It is certainly up to the task of 200-yd deer if the shooter is capable and the ammunition is accurate.
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

Since I have had an opportunity to work with both the 32-40 and the 38-55 and will have to go with the 38-55 as a 200 yard deer getter. You simply have a lot more punch with the 38-55 at over 100 yards. The 32-40 can be supurbly accurate at 200 paces but a 170 grain bullet starting out at less than 1900 fps can't hold up to the 260 grain bullet at the same velocity. The 38 also punches a bigger hole through both sides of a deer at that 200 yard mark. The 32-40 is pleasant to shoot with less recoil than even a 30-30 but it just is a little lacking when the ranges get over 125 yards or so. My 38-55 M4 will put 5 rounds into just 4" at 200 yards and is shooting 9" below the 100 yard aiming point at that range. For hunting you will probably be money ahead going with the 38-55. As to powder capacity of the 38-55 if you need more punch than a 260 bullet at 1900 or more fps you should look at a 35 Whelen, but the 38-55 had an excellent reputation as a deer gun with a modest 1450 fps velocity and is even better with modern loads.

I faced this same question a while back. I decided to go with the 38-55 when a number of people reported that fouling could be a real problem with the 32-40. In general, they said that the bore had to be kept very clean for the 32-40 to attain its accuracy potential (which is great, BTW).

The 38-55 will knock down the 300 meter pigs so consistently that it gets boring after a short time. I wouldn't hesitate to pop a deer at 300 yards with aperture sights on a 38-55. Bullet hits point of aim, makes big hole, goes all the way through animal, and doesn't ruin any meat. Sounds like a deer rifle to me.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    Mike Venturino is a 38/55 fan and has some information in his excellent SHOOTING LEVER GUNS OF THE OLD WEST book....and articles quite awhile back in SHOOTING TIMES. IIRC he used a 94 Winchester, an original Marlin and a 38/55 Cowboy rifle.

I would suggest a lot of research on the cartridge. Factory loads are pretty low end and reloading has some quirks. There is quite a range on bore dimensions and a custom boolit mould might be required. The Black Powder Cartridge Rifle competitors are using heavy single shots with fast twist barrels for heavier boolits than would be usable in a lever gun.

hemiallen I have all three and to me they would all kill a deer at 200 yards with no trouble at all.
    32-40 can be a bear up here to get brass for them.
    32 & 32-40 Same moulds Ilike the 170 GRn and my 214 Grn in both of them.
    My 38-55 prefers my 250 GRn mould over my 300GRN mould.
    All three are Winchesters 94's and shoot very very nice with cast bullets.
    For deer I prefer my 25-35 it loves cast and shoot very nice.
    The only one in the family that I haven't shot a critter with yet is the 30-30 imagine that.
    You can't really go wrong with any of them and as stated it seems the 38-55 is a more recognized cartridge.

Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Hey hemiallen, this was a good question. I enjoyed the replys.

Hullo, for my 2cents worth, I like the 38/55 250-60 gr boolits, I have shot quite a bit with this cartrige @ 100-200 yds. it makes a nice deer rife.

I have also shot it quite a bit at BPCR shoots and it does a good job there also, a little lite for the rams though, not enough boolit weight/velosity to be consistant with knock downs at the longer ranges.

But a deer out to 200 yds is no problem as long as you do your part with boolit location
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

In Remebrance

Either the 32-40 or 38-55 will take deer as well as the 32 Special you mentioned. Thing you're going to have to remember is with the 200 yard limit you put on this project your sights will be the problem and so will wind drift. You said you wanted an original rifle and 200 yard range. Well, unless you juice the speed appreciably you may find your sights set so high you're off the paper at close range. Whichever you do, and I'd lean towards the 32 Special, you're going to have to learn to dope the range and wind if you expect to try any 200 yard shooing. You owe that much to the deer and by stretching the accepted hunting range by 50-75 yards you're going to need to do some work.

Super Moderator

...............I'll have to add to the folks favoring the 38-55.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    I have both a 32 spl. and a 38-55 prefer the 38. It is also easer to find brass for, it seems like nobody picks up there 30-30 brass and I fire form it for 38-55.

Boolit Master
    What's your fire form recipe?
    Paul

Boolit Master
    I have both, and I think the 38-55 is a better "big hole" where the 32 special might lack a little "way out there".I make my 32s from 30-30s with the size die. I fire form 30-30s then size for the 38-55. I have 2 94s in 38 and 1 in 32 win spec. All shoot well, and both are good with cast roll-yer-own.

Le Loup Solitaire

Fireforming cases

PMeisel, Hi and welcome to the forum Generally speaking it is considered good/better/best practice to anneal whatever brass you are starting with...to cut down/eliminate the possibility of splitting the shoulders and necks. (of 30-30 brass if you are forming them into 32-40 or 38-55.) You don't have to anneal, but it is, as I said, a desireable precaution. To fireform the case, you put 10 (TEN) grains of Red Dot powder in the primed case and then pack/fill the rest of the case with wadded up kleenex or bathroom paper....pack it down. Some folks use a wad over it...I never have. When you fire it, there is a lot of the paper that will come out of the bore, some of it may be smoking. Its a messy process. Be sure to look down the bore after every shot to make sure it is clear before firing the next case. Ya never know but its always better to be safe than sorry...Safety first. LLS.

Boolit Grand Master

38īs

Good morning
    BIG holes are always better ! I can make a 38 do whatever a 32 can hope to.
    My FIRST center fire was a 32WCF and I really liked it. The Army interveined and that rifle is long gone. After I got my first 38 and having shot both I am hooked on 38īs. I hunt close in river bottoms so I do not need 150 yards stuff. All my shots are 50 yards and less. 250 grains of soft lead at 1250+ will drop any critter I will ever see. If I need more 50/50 at 1600+ will take care of matters real fast. WW at 1800+ is one stoit thumper on beastees. I have molds from 140 -280 grains so I think I have most hunting needs covered for me.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast