RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Anyone Loading 300 PRC

Anyone Loading 300 PRC

I've just started casting coating and loading rounds for my 300 PRC. Was wondering if anyone had experience with this new cartridge? And what they were loading?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    I have had a 300 PRC for 6ish years. I did try casting for it but have continuously been disappointed with the results and became concerned about baffle strike as my son's rifle had leading apparent on his muzzle brake.
    I can load it to shoot at 1/4 moa out to 1475 with Berger bullets so I figured I would give that particular cartridge a pass for only jacketed bullets.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I may be about to join you with some Hornady bullets based on the last range trip.

But what was the most accurate load you shot in it? And how accurate was it?

Now I've got all of these magnum powders I may have to buy another rifle
    Last edited by Avenger442; 02-04-2024 at 08:51 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    I may be about to join you with some Hornady bullets based on the last range trip.

But what was the most accurate load you shot in it? And how accurate was it?

Now I've got all of these magnum powders I may have to buy another rifle
    Yeah, accurate rifles are addictive!!!!
    I use 230 gr Bergers, WLRMP, RL26 pushing 2780fps for my hunting load. Most ridiculously accurate load was the 250gr A Tip with H1000 - but not practical for hunting big game.
    Been playing with a 6.5 PRC for about a month now, crazy fun to shoot and load for!!
    Here's what she did with 5 at 350 yards last week.

I'm sorry. I phrased my question wrong. Did you have any luck at all with cast in the 300 PRC as to accuracy? And how many times did you load and range trip with cast?

My first trip to the range with a 228 gn bullet was a disaster. Probably in the top 3 of my worst days. Looked like a stabilization problem. And I can see why you would worry about the brake. Don't even want to think what would happen with a suppressor. Out of 8 different loads and 80 rounds probably 10 were on the target. No accuracy at all.

You must have a pre pandemic supply of RL 26. I haven't seen any in at least a year. And that was in a guys stash.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 02-04-2024 at 10:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    I'm sorry. I phrased my question wrong. Did you have any luck at all with cast in the 300 PRC as to accuracy? And how many times did you load and range trip with cast?

My first trip to the range with a 228 gn bullet was a disaster. Probably in the top 3 of my worst days. Looked like a stabilization problem. And I can see why you would worry about the brake. Don't even want to think what would happen with a suppressor. Out of 8 different loads and 80 rounds probably 10 were on the target. No accuracy at all.

You must have a pre pandemic supply of RL 26. I haven't seen any in at least a year. And that was in a guys stash.
    I had used my 30 Army mold for a 220gr boolit. I had 4 or 5 sessions with them, I took my sub-MOA rifle and turned it into a 2.5 MOA disaster at my best visit. I had keyholing at my best accuracy node. I am quite certain that there are far better casters than I that could be better but I just lost interest. That was out of a Shilen barrel 1:7" and a Bergara 1:9".

I have been looking at a Bergara in 300 PRC for hunting.

I was just trying to get some input from someone that had shot 300 PRC cast. Your experience at some point was better than my first trip but seems to reflect what I found. It is hard to stabilize a cast lead bullet with a 1:9 twist in this round. I may make one more stab at it with a 168 gn cast that shoots sub MOA in my Weatherby. If that doesn't work I guess it's all jacketed.

I was using a Ruger Precision Rifle that will shoot sub MOA with factory match ammo. Round was a 228 gn bullet over Magnum powder (not the best but what I could find to start with) and Federal match primer. I have not started developing jacketed loads.

Looks like I'm going to be getting rid of a NOE and Lee mold. They cast too heavy for anything else I own. And melt down about 10 pounds of bullets. At least I'll have some good alloy.

I thank you very much for your input. It was exactly what I was looking for.