Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 acp semi carbine choices

Boolit Buddy
    Bear Creek has an AR style as well. https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/45-...lok-rifle.html

Ballistically, a 10mm would fit the bill as well, but if you are already set up for .45 ACP then that's a plus.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I’ve got several ar45s built with Olympic and CMMG barrels and bcgs. If you already have an ar lower or think you might get one eventually build yourself a pcc ar and then get a 223/22lr/blkout upper for it later.
    This. Although, I'd also consider the 10mm as an option. The AR is quite literally the new Handi Rifle. Want a different caliber? Throw on a different upper...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    A good suggestion IMO. I nearly went that route when I was looking for a 9mm carbine. i already had an AR so the cost with mags was about $550-600.

There was a promotion on the HiPoint for $325 with three extra 20 rd mags and went that way.

One issue was I wanted a "tractor gun". Something I could leave in the tractor all the time.

HW, I would look at it the conversions hard if you already have an AR or may get one in the future. It would make neat range toy as well. The question then becomes, "Is there a better hog caliber than a .45ACP in an AR?" A .300 Hammer or .350 Legend seems better for hog hunting unless you intend to add a suppressor. You might regret the limited range of the .45 ACP.
    Don,

I do have an AR so that is certainly another option.

Reason I like 45 ACP is that I am already set up for the caliber - and I can live with a range of 100yds for what will basically be a "night" hunting gun. I have a .45-70 Marlin if I need more punch.

Boolit Master
    One thing to research, if you are using a standard AR lower, there is usually some kind of adapter for the mag well to accept pistol mags. I had heard that these were a chore to get lined up correctly.
    I went with a New Frontier Armory lower that is cut for Glock mags (yes, it costs 3x as much as a "regular" Anderson lower.
    Quite a few different uppers out there to fit said "Glock" lower. and reasonably priced.
    New Frontier makes a large lower for 45ACP and 10mm, and a small for 9mm.
    Vector makes an adapter to convert a 13rd Glock mag to 28'ish rounds btw.
    I like the AR style, you can change around all the parts to make the gun just the way you want it.
    And a commonality with my other AR variations.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    Mag well adapters for pistol calibers are readily available in multiple calibers and for different magazine styles. With a little design capability they aren't that hard to design and make yourself. Some years ago I made a PCC using an AR lower, a custom made mag well adapter for a PPS 43 magazine, and then a blowback barrelled upper in 7.62X25. Fun project.

Boolit Bub
    For some reason my 16" Mech Tech is way softer shooting than 10" New Frontier AR. Both are 45ACP. Also consider getting some 45 super brass.

I have a Mech Tech in 45ACP, it shoots great, but really shines with Plus P ammo, accurate. I also bought a Bear Creek Arsenal in 45ACP (AR15 Style) and it takes Glock Mags which we know are everywhere.
    Both shoot great with Cast, either the Lee 230 TC or Accurate 210 TC.
    Big Bore = 45+

Another vote for the Mechtech here. I have two. my 45 is a 1st gen from 20 years ago(?) with the ugly steel loop stock...Took it out this past sunday for some grouping and the reshot the load over my Magnetospeed.

200g SWC powder coated over 10.5g of Blue Dot was killing it at 45 yards. Avg Vel was 1288
    Same bullet over 12.8g of AA#7 was scorching at 1457 but did not shoot so well in the mechtech but a friend has the new Ruger carbine and it shot VERY well with it.

The Mechtech may not win a beauty contest but they are built like a panzer super tiger. The bolt is a monstrous chunk of steel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240421_090032.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	325956
    He that dasheth in pieces is come up before thy face: keep the munition, watch the way, make thy loins strong, fortify thy power mightily. Nahum 2:1

Boolit Mold
    I love my Hi-Polnt carbine. Same mag as my JHP. Can't go wrong.

High point takes proprietary mags and is fairly low cap and clunky.

I would look at ar-45 lowers and uppers if you wanted more hands on there are several conversions out there you can do. Ar10 mag adapter from rhineland (they sell it as a cetme adapter but they claim it will also fit the ar10)
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    I'm very likely going to purchase a Ruger LC carbine - I like the look and the brand. Just saving up pennies at this point.

If I had known Ruger was bringing out a 45 ACP carbine I would not have bought the BCA.
    Love my Ruger PCC in 9 mm
    Big Bore = 45+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12