Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Newish 17 Rem Fireball build.

Boolit Master

Newish 17 Rem Fireball build.

I have a 26" Rem 700 SPS varmint in 17 Rem Fireball. It is a tack driver and has accounted for a few coyotes. I really like the rifle but it is a bit on the heavy side.

I have been contemplating building a 20 to 22" sporter 17 FB, but gunsmithing or lack of 17 Rem FB remage barrels has held me back

I was browsing the web the other day (very dangerous thing to do by the way) and came across a 20" sporter takeoff factory Remington barrel that was described as a new takeoff.

I went ahead and purchased itfor $210 delivered. It looks like new except for a couple of freckles of rust and the brown thread sealant on the tenon. No bluing wear anywhere.

I have a new 700 short action sitting in the safe and screwed the barrel on. The receiver to shoulder gap was approximately 0.169" with the barrel bottomed out on the bolt nose.

On a factory cartridge, the receiver-shoulder gap was approximately 0.188-0.1885"

I had a takeoff recoil lug at 0.190" With everything snugged up, the bolt fully closes on the factory cartridge. I plan to torque everything and doublecheck again, but it looks like everything comes together as a minimum spec chamber very similar to my 700 SPS varmint.

Apparently the factory ammo only has about a 0.001-0.002" headpsace on the SPS chamber based upon compator measurements with factory new and fired cases.

The only other thing I will do if this shoots well is have the muzzle threaded 1/2-28 for my suppressor. Fingers crossed, this will be a cheap way to get into a lighter weight 17 Rem FB.

Boolit Master
    Boy, I envy your journey!
    Please let us know how this project goes!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Forge ahead! There is a Martini #12 in the "shop" (really my garage's third bay) waiting for its day. I found a new barrel blank at a gun show and had to pay the princely sum of $10 for it. It too had a little rust, but all along the tapered blank. I have dies and have even made enough brass for some testing. One of these days I'll get back to it...I think.

Boolit Buddy
    Did a barrel swap on an XP-100 from 221 Remington to 17 MK IV, Remington really wasn't planning on this barrel coming off. Sometimes Remington's a bit overzealous when screwing the barrel on. I have the 17 Fireball in a CZ 527 American that was originally a 17 Hornet. Rechambered and a bolt body swap to the 223-bolt face from the rimmed Hornet. Little 17 are nice toys.