MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Need Load Check - .45 ACP +P

Boolit Master

Need Load Check - .45 ACP +P

I loaded some +P rounds of .45 ACP with: 7.5 grains True Blue, CCI LPP, Starline +P case, 230 grain NOE 45-237-RN (H&G #34 clone), 1.275” OAL. From ~7 yards away, I measured 807 fps with an SD of 8 (30 shots). Accuracy was better than me, recoil was very manageable, and brass ejection was reasonably consistent. There were no pressure signs, as can be expected for a 23ksi load.
    I have previously measured 850 fps from Underwood Ammo +P rated rounds that read 1,000 fps on the box. I have a 3” barrel.
    The Western Powders manual gives max charges for +P ranging between 7.1 & 8.4 grains for 4 different bullets, with OAL ranging from 1.210” - 1.237”. Reported velocities range from 883 - 988 fps from a 5” barrel.
    The recoil and brass ejection was weaker than the Underwood Ammo, but velocity is there. Do you think I can push this combo to 850 fps safely? I’m not interested in beating up my gun, but I am interested in your thoughts on the limits of this combo.
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Berry's 230 can go to 8.4 grs @ Hodgdon. Lead should also? Get a little more velocity out of a 3" barrel.
    Increase 3/10 gr at a time.

The Starline +P brass is made for hotter loads.