Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Die, Shellholder Brand Match

Boolit Master

Die, Shellholder Brand Match

I have seen recommendations that shellholders should match the brand of the dies. How critical is this? Has anyone encountered a difficulty that could not be overcome by adjustment?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I can't think of how it would make any difference with straight wall cases but with bottle neck cases it seems a poor match could change headspace .
    Maybe someone more experience will give us a more qualified answer .

Where is that written ?

Boolit Master
    If the thickness of the top portion on one brand of shell holder is different from another brand and the sizing dies are cut to match the brands shell holders it could make a difference on how far the brass would push into the sizer die .
    To be clear I don't know if there is a universal standard for shell holder dimensions perhaps one of the more knowledgeable members can educate us

Boolit Master
    I never sweated that stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    If the thickness of the top portion on one brand of shell holder is different from another brand and the sizing dies are cut to match the brands shell holders it could make a difference on how far the brass would push into the sizer die .
    To be clear I don't know if there is a universal standard for shell holder dimensions perhaps one of the more knowledgeable members can educate us
    I think that you will find that they are Called
    "Universal Shell Holders"

Boolit Master
    I grabbed a Lee and rcbs 223 shell holder and took a few quick measurements .
    First # is Lee 2nd rcbs Lee Rcbs
    OAL height . .497 .502
    From shelf where
    The case head sets
    To top of shell holder. .127 .125
    Thickness of shell
    Holder part that sits
    On top of the ram to
    Where it touches the
    Die . . 244 .250

I have mixed brands for 50 years and had no problems , but bottle neck rifle is a very small portion of what I load . But it looks to me if the die is set to touch the shell holder the would be a small difference from case head to shoulder using these two shell holders with the same die.
    If a guy was looking for for an exact shoulder length it might be worth doing more research.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have set up and adjusted Lee 9mm Luger dies with a Lee shell holder ...
    and been reloading with that setup ...
    Then mistakenly grab a CH shell holder and put it in the press by mistake ... your 9mm reloads will not be right ...
    I removed the CH shell holder , installed the Lee shell holder and all my reloads were back to normal ... took me a few minutes to sort this one out !

I'm sure I could have re-adjusted the dies to work with the CH shell holder but I didn't want to do that . I have a set of Lee Carbide 9mm dies with a Lee shell holder and an older set of CH Steel 9mm dies with a CH shell holder...
    I'm one of those who likes to keep the die maker and shell holder maker... Matched . When I bought my first set of dies in 1967 the Gunshop owner advised buying the die maker's shell holders ... told me that was the best way .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

It doens't make a difference as to brand, but changing brands when you have something set up for precision can cause problems. As stated above, 9mm, or for bumping shoulders or seating bullets.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Shell Holder Deck Height .125"

Deck height should be close to .125" on newer shell sholder. Old, not always, so i was told?

Best to measure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ShellHolder1.JPG  

Boolit Master
    I keep dedicated shell holders for each task, doesn’t matter which brand you use just use the same one for each task for uniformity. I have found over the years occasionally I’ll have an issue with a certain brand but have never had issues with either Hornady or RCBS.

Boolit Buddy
    The NRA Basics of Metallic Cartridge Reloading lesson plans say to use the same manufacturer. But I tell my students it’s usually ok to mix and match, but it’s something to keep in mind if they have a problem.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    When setting up a die, it really doesn't make a difference. But, if you change out the die and then later reinstall using a different brand shell holder you will probably have to make some adjustments. Also, depending on how you prime, (on press or with bench mounted machine) not all shell holders have the same size hole in the center and some will not allow passage of the primer seat.

Boolit Grand Master

Never had a problem with mixing and matching shellholders.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I match my shell holder to the die brand. Had a shooting buddy get into headspace problems once by mixing brands. I don't remember the brands involved. I have a single RCBS shell holder that I use for all of the calibers that it fits when using my RCBS dies but I have individual shell holders for my Redding dies. But doing some measurements after swapping them with RCBS showed no difference.

Binky says it better than I did. 243Winxb posted a good picture.

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Never had a problem with mixing and matching shellholders.
    It’s a good thing too, because I don’t have any CH, Lyman, Redding,or Hornady shell holders- only RCBS and Lee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Universal Shell Holder vs Dillon 450/550 Shell Plate

At the risk of going off into the weeds, this discussion got me to thinking about comparing a universal Lee shell holder with a Dillon 450/550 Shell Plate.

Lee - 0.125"
    Dillon 0.119"
    diff. 0.006"

For what it's worth with my lame Pittsburg Digital Calipers.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Humm good question, I mix and match what ever is handy at the time OAL should let you know if your round is off. which means your adjusting your dies to fix the problem
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I reached the point many years ago where I dedicate a shell holder to each set of dies. That way, once the dies are adjusted, I don't have to worry about things changing if I grab a different shell holder. I have never adhered to the 'same brand' of shell holders and dies, and never had a problem due to that.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I have seen recommendations that shellholders should match the brand of the dies. How critical is this? Has anyone encountered a difficulty that could not be overcome by adjustment?
    If you use the "crank die down to contact" (even if you do some fraction of a turn +/- after that), you are using the shell holder as a reference. If there is not an industry standard and tolerance, you will have different results, with different brands, with bottle neck cases. Not unlike trying to put chevy 5 lug wheels on a ford, same but different...

If you set your dies like this, it won't matter at all because the top of the shell holder is never used as a reference point.

Boolit Master

I have seen LEE dies that would not fully size a 223 case even with a turn past contact with the shellholder. I had to turn a few thousandths off the bottom of the die to make it work.
    I could have taken a few thousandths off the shellholder too.
    Redding made or makes a set of shellholders of various heights to control the amount of shoulder set back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast