RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 WMR ammo - 30grain pointed

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Most accurate 22 mag ammo I have used is the 33 grain stuff Remington made. Not sure if it is still being produced.
    Those used to shoot really good in an old rifle that I had that’s long gone. I think it was an old Marlin bolt gun. It blew stuff up pretty good with that ammo. Had been back around 90 or so. Wish I kept it. It was a fun little gun. It didn’t shoot as good as the Ruger though. The American line is “made super economy style” imo with some cheap materials and pot metal…but boy, they sure shoot good.

Boolit Master
    the cci maxi mag TNT is a very explosive 30 grain round with a huge hollow point and very thin copper jacket. very effective for eliminating pests but probably not the best choice on small critters you want to eat

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    the cci maxi mag TNT is a very explosive 30 grain round with a huge hollow point and very thin copper jacket. very effective for eliminating pests but probably not the best choice on small critters you want to eat
    I’m guessing they’re probably a rebranded Hornady projectile with a different tip? I tried them in my rifle and they don’t group anywhere as tight as the hornady vmax ammo. Think they were about an inch to an inch and a quarter groups at 100 yards if I remember. The 50 grain bullets most recommend for predators grouped about the same as the CCI’s. Even though it’s not an ideal predator caliber I’m sure the Vmax ammo would drop a coyote out to a 100 to a 150 yards with a well placed shot.

Boolit Master
    OK, I got a group with the Hornady 30 gr v-max from a Marlin M983S bolt action rifle. It’s cold, so 25 yds off the back porch, 5 shots into 0.45 “ with 4X scope.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

To my advantage, the trigger breaks at 14 ounces on mine, and I a 3.5 to 14 power scope, which probably helps as well. It’s warming up here a little bit. I was out in the backyard with the new to me browning nomad recurve I got from the church store last week for 35 bucks. Just put on a stick on rest and tied on some nocks this afternoon. Also tried some new xx75 2117 arrows. It seems to shoot pretty decent at 15 yards. It’s 54 pounds at 28 inches and I’m pulling back 31 1/2 so got my work out. I didn’t group as good as you.

As others have stated, the 30gr Vmax really breathes new life into the .22 mag; but just like in any other caliber, some guns have a preference. I recently bought a Marlin 882 from 1989. It does ok with the 30gr bullets, but it definitely prefers the 40gr Maxi-Mag from CCI.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

I bought a bunch of the cci HP maxi mag 125 count cartons from Walmart two years ago for for around $22 a carton! I haven’t seen it lately but last time it was around $39 a carton.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I bought a bunch of the cci HP maxi mag 125 count cartons from Walmart two years ago for for around $22 a carton! I haven’t seen it lately but last time it was around $39 a carton.
    Palmetto State Armory had it last time I looked. They actually had a large selection of .22 mag ammo, and the prices were fair as well.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

I don’t think I’ve shot any of them. I think I have about a half a dozen of the milk cartons I picked up. Hopefully I finally get around to putting the red Dot on my new super wrangler and I’ll use them in that.

I did shoot up almost a carton trying to get my Walter WMP to running and gave up on it. Found them yesterday after I got my super wrangler up and running I’ll have to go out and test both of the ammo in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12