Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 WMR ammo - 30grain pointed

Boolit Master

.22 WMR ammo - 30grain pointed

I have a Ruger single-six and a Winchester 9422 in this caliber. The ammo I have is 40 grain softpoint, and maybe a part box of 50 grain around somewhere. I took a look at the Hornady 30 grain, and decided to order a brick from Midsouth Shooters supply. Anybody have experience with this ammo?
    My daughter has a Heriitage revolver and a Marlin bolt action she will bring over to test.
    It just looked intriguing.

There’s thread about pricing on here started, April 2022, complaining about pricing of WMR ammo So, cost $160 total, shipped Tennessee to Maine, UPS. 32 cents per round.

(This leads me to a stray side thought: have. You looked at new quarters lately? They have weird reverse stuff on them. Two 2022 quarters had different reverse sides. Spanish slogan. 25 with a “cents” symbol, which my keyboard doesn’t have anymore.)
    Last edited by 26Charlie; 02-01-2024 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master

The high speed .22 Mag ammo doesn’t work for me out of carbine. The 1875 fps 40 gr jhp is my go to.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Haven’t got this ammo yet. But my daughter bought a Smith & Wesson M&P in .22 WMR caliber, and brought it over for me to try it out. It has a 30 round magazine. I loaded 20 rounds of CCI 40 grain TMJ & shot a target at 25 yards. The gun is quite light, hard to hold still, but 11 of them gave me a 2.2 inch group 2.5 inches below POA. 8 were in a wider 5 inch group around that one, an one shot was lost off the paper. The 30 grain pointy ammo might make a difference with this interesting gun
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 26Charlie View Post
    Haven’t got this ammo yet. But my daughter bought a Smith & Wesson M&P in .22 WMR caliber, and brought it over for me to try it out. It has a 30 round magazine. I loaded 20 rounds of CCI 40 grain TMJ & shot a target at 25 yards. The gun is quite light, hard to hold still, but 11 of them gave me a 2.2 inch group 2.5 inches below POA. 8 were in a wider 5 inch group around that one, an one shot was lost off the paper. The 30 grain pointy ammo might make a difference with this interesting gun
    I have the S & W 22 Mag and put a Holosun red dot on it and a CZ rifle. I prefer the 40 grain in both of them.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Received the ammo today. Ordered 1Feb, delivered 6Feb. Clarksville TN to Belfast, ME UPS.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The 30s grain Vmax is my go to in 22WMR. I shoot it out of my Ruger American. The first six shot group at 100 yards measured .323 inches!!!! The stuff is ridiculous accurate! I small game hunt with it. It will cleanly take a squirrel or rabbits head completely off at close range! It seems like just about every person that I know that owns a 22 WMR shoots the tightest with the 30 grain Vmax ammo. I just bought a super wrangler and haven’t had a chance to try it yet but plan on trying the Vmax in it once I get a red dot put on it. Right before Covid it was selling for 1099 to 1299 per 50. Most places lately I’ve seen it is 1599 to 1699 on up.

There’s some squirrels I took with it the other day to at 60 yards and two at a little over 100 yards.

These two were at 60 yards. All were free hand shots.

This one was running up a tree and 110 yards, and I put a lead on it just with the crosshairs on its nose and I hit them behind the shoulder. That’s the last nut he will ever eat.

That Vmax is a beast of a WMR round!

I found an old 100 YARD target. This was the first three rounds, and I shot three more afterwards on top of it that All stayed under .323”!

There’s another hundred yard group I shot the other day with it using vmax again…

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-06-2024 at 10:30 PM.

Found a few more vintage photos. Sorry for some of the gruesome pictures.

But you can see it really makes a mess so make sure to do head shots. I deleted the 10 yard rabbit shot because literally it looked like somebody cut the head off of the machete!

Boolit Buddy
    30 grain v-max should be perfect for coon...

I have 3 rifles that LOVE the 30gr Hornady's A cz 512m , a 25m Marlin bolt gun and a Wincheswter 9422m. Here is a target of the CZ.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22 mag groups (2).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	323176
    I had a friend who went to his hunting property one after noon and spotted a BIG sow hog rooting up his green field at about 75 yds. He rested his rifle on the golf cart and poked her in the head. The 30 gr went all the way through that porkers skull! He was as amazed and I was!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

The complete penetration of pigs skull doesn’t shock me. I have experienced some of the bullets not opening up on small game and poking a .22 caliber hole in and out of squirrels and rabbits. Imo they aren’t consistent on violent expansion I posted above. Either way, animals still drop at the shot. You can see the the one squirrel in the group of four that you can see a dark spot behind the shoulder. That was the entry hole. The exit was the same. Just poked a small hole in and out with a lot of internal damage. Still dropped at the shot and never moved. It’s kind of hit and miss whether I get a violent blow up.

Most of my .22mag is being shot in either a Heritage rough rider convertable with 5"+ barrel or a H&R 732 revolver with a snub barrel less than 3".

I do have a H&R handi rifle single shot in .22lr that is more than a little erratic. I have considered reaming it out for .22mag and a scope. I suspect it would make a very fine 100 yard squirrel killer. But being 71 I seem to have lost my desire to kill along the way somewhere. So while I have some of those 30's I have yet to shoot them.

The Win and CCI 40 grainers work well and I have a thousand of the CCI 50 grain. Waiting to be tested.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Ruger single-six and a Winchester 9422 in this caliber. The ammo I have is 40 grain softpoint, and maybe a part box of 50 grain around somewhere. I took a look at the Hornady 30 grain, and decided to order a brick from Midsouth Shooters supply. Anybody have experience with this ammo?
    My daughter has a Heriitage revolver and a Marlin bolt action she will bring over to test.
    It just looked intriguing.

There’s thread about pricing on here started, April 2022, complaining about pricing of WMR ammo So, cost $160 total, shipped Tennessee to Maine, UPS. 32 cents per round.

(This leads me to a stray side thought: have. You looked at new quarters lately? They have weird reverse stuff on them. Two 2022 quarters had different reverse sides. Spanish slogan. 25 with a “cents” symbol, which my keyboard doesn’t have anymore.)
    26Charlie -- fyi, to type the cent symbol with Windows based OSs, simply hold down the CTRL key and then type / followed by c. If I wanted to, say, type thirty-seven cents in shortcut fashion, it will be 37¢ . This may not work for your machine, but.. it works for mine . Note that in some apps holding the Ctrl key does weird things -- e.g. re AutoSave, or, nothing. In those cases, I simply create the ¢ symbol in a Word document, and then copy/paste it.

I have a Marlin 57 M levermatic in 22 mag. It likes the 40 gr. the best and shoots it near MOA. I have used the 30 gr. also and it shoots almost as well, shot a feral cat with it while it was walking across my yard. I hit it in the chest at 70 yards and it literally leaped 3’ in the air and ran a short distance then cartwheeled end over end and was dead immediately. Very effective on pests.
    Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 02-07-2024 at 11:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Did some 25 yd shooting with the 30 gr Vmax ammo today. Does not group in the Ruger Single six. In the S&W M&P it groups as well as the 40 grain, but is fully 2 inches lower.
    My daughter shot her Heritage revolving carbine as well as the S&W M&P, and shot tighter groups right to the sights. The ammo is OK for her, in her guns. My Ruger, not so much.

Georgerkahn, thanks. I guess my surprise was at seeing it on the coin which usually said “quarter dollar”.
    Last edited by 26Charlie; 02-11-2024 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Do you have any 22 WMR rifles? If so, try the ammo in them. I’ve never tried the Vmax and a pistol yet, but I will on my super wrangler once I send it in tomorrow and get it back in a couple weeks for cosmetic warranty repair.

Boolit Master
    I had more than a case of hornady 22 mag ammo and had to get rid of along with my Henry because for some reason me nor my local gunsmith can understand the marlin 57m will not fire hornady ammo, federal, Speer, winchester , cci all work perfect but my new favorite is armscor, shoots just as well as the other 40 grain ammo but costs less but for 30 grain and a 15% velocity increase cci maxi mag TNT

Boolit Master
    Triplebeards - those are nice groups. Its been a long time since I skinned a squirrel. Wife was a city girl, and won’t eat them, but if there is no other protein (politics being what they are now), there is potential in the back yard. I will get out the rifle as soon as the weather moderates - we’ve been having rain and snow off and on.

Boolit Master
    Most accurate 22 mag ammo I have used is the 33 grain stuff Remington made. Not sure if it is still being produced.
    East Tennessee

Triplebeards - those are nice groups. Its been a long time since I skinned a squirrel. Wife was a city girl, and won’t eat them, but if there is no other protein (politics being what they are now), there is potential in the back yard. I will get out the rifle as soon as the weather moderates - we’ve been having rain and snow off and on.

Normally squirrels taste good those weren’t the greatest for some reason. Rabbits taste really good though!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast