RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .455 webley mk-IV re-loading help

Boolit Master

.455 webley mk-IV re-loading help

Ok.. So I have a mk IV webley in .455. It's of course shaved. In the past I used auto rim brass and trail boss to load it using the tb 70% start formula. ( 70% of free case space under bullet ). The auto rim brass is roomy like acp..i really didn't have a pressure concern.

A while back I got a stainless spacer ring that allows normal 455 cases to headspace perfectly. I had no 455 cases..so it sat. Recently found 175 cases.. 75 are hornady Mk-II and the 100 are fioochi and look to be Mk-II cases as well.

They are smaller ( shorter ) cases than acp or AR cases ..etc..

So..im using a lead 160gr bullet..want to make low pressure plinker rounds.. Which is why I didn't go 250-255. I figure lower projectile weight..lower pressure.. Everyone happy...and a paper plate at 5 yds won't care.

Marked case at bullet base. These seem to hold 3.95gr of trail boss. ( 3.9 line just under..4.0..line just over.. Etc on a balance beam ).

So..using 70% and dropping the 2nd digit because I can't set it on the scale anyway.. My start load calculates to 2.7gr trail boss.

Anyone else loading for a mk-IV using Mk-II cases and trail boss see any problems with my procedure?

I know the mkIV was likely a cordite gun..and most lump that into smokeless frame..but I see some sources lump it with black powder frames.

None of my books have print load data..lyman 49,50,51, cast bullet handbook, pistol handbook. None on hodgdon or alliant..none in speer, hornady, nosler or Lee.... None in western.

So I'm down to the trail boss universal formula.

Opinions solicited. I'd love to keep shooting this old girl with real 455 brass

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I load 3.5 grains of Bullseye with Accurate 45-264H in Starline MkII brass for mine. This load shoots to the sights. Velocity is 600 fps. Lighter bullets than 230 grains shot poorly in mine.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I load 3.5 grains of Bullseye with Accurate 45-264H in Starline MkII brass for mine. This load shoots to the sights. Velocity is 600 fps. Lighter bullets than 230 grains shot poorly in mine.
    Mine is un-shaved and I use the same. Velocity is a bit higher, but outcome is the same as Outpost.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I shot my MkVI 4 inch this past weekend in my cas club’s match. 160 gr rn with 3.5 gr Bullseye. Also used a Webley Wilkinson 1911 but it was shaved so I used AR brass. About the same load but a little heavier boolit. Theres not enough difference between .455, .45acp, autorim, .45 cowboy special to make much difference in light loads imo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0548.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	322932

Boolit Master

Anyone see a problem with 2.7gr trail boss?

I tried trail boss and didn’t like it, sorry.

Boolit Master

Accuracy issue or?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Accuracy issue or?
    TB generates higher pressure than Bullseye. Requires heavy bullet for caliber for good ballistic uniformity. Irregular velocity with light bullets in less than full charges.
    Bullets lighter than 240 grains problematic.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I was trying it in my 1903 Springfields in 193 gr lead loads for BAMM shoots. It shot ok but I didn’t like how it metered. I switched over to V-V Tin Star and like it much better. Sadly V-V has discontinued it but I’ve got 2 more bottles left. Both loads were close to the same weight though, around 9 gr but the TB about filled the case. I don’t remember using it in any pistol loads. Thinking that I gave half of it away to another cas shooter.

Boolit Master

I wish someone would publish some 455 data. None of the major publications do.

Heres the only info Ive got. Bullseye and Unique are the only modern powders listed. 45acp Bullseye [the shooting sport not the powder] target load info would be where I would start.

Name:	IMG_0553.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	322943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0556.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	322945
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-02-2024 at 02:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Wow...lyman 43rd!

Thanks... That gives me at least a published unique and bullseye load.

Thanks!

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    THANKS Ed!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Heres the only info Ive got. Bullseye and Unique are the only modern powders listed. 45acp Bullseye [the shooting sport not the powder] target load info would be where I would start.

Name:	IMG_0553.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	322943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0556.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	322945
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Be advised that the older Lyman 43 data was NOT pressure tested and was based upon firings in the longer 0.87" CIL-Dominion .455 Colt case. Those loads are excessive for top-break revolvers if assembled in the shorter 0.76" .455 MkII cases as produced by Fiocchi, Hornady and Starline. The S&W Hand Ejector and Colt New Service are tolerant of heavier loads up to 700 fps with 265 grain lead bullets and the older Lyman data is of no issue in those stronger, solid-frame, swing-out cylinder revolvers.

The 3.5 grain charge of Bullseye was tested by Larry Gibson in his TC Contender pistol with strain gage and Oehler 43 PBL interface and has been well proven as safe and satisfactory.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    My experience has been that those very light bullets in the 150-160 gr range have a tendency to shoot very low. I made up some gallery loads for my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 160 gr boolit and was unable to raise the rear sight enough to offset the POI. Grouping was nicht sehr gut either. I just melted down the shorties and cast 250's - POI elevated back to the usual settings.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Mine is un-shaved and I use the same. Velocity is a bit higher, but outcome is the same as Outpost.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Barrel-cylinder gap is as important as barrel.length. Many British top-break revolvers have large barrel-cylinder gaps of 0.010" or more. Velocity will be a full 100 fps less than a Colt New Service having been professionally refitted to a minimum gap of 0.004" pass / 0.005" hold.

My rebuilt 3.5 inch New Service .45 "Pocket Blaster" produces the same velocity with WW2 service loads as my 1914 New Service .455.
    Attachment 322947
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Using the shorter Mk-II case, looks like if I use the starting load of 2.5gr bullseye on a 250gr swaged bullet ( Speer 4684 ) I should be ok with fps in the 570-600fps range.? Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Using the shorter Mk-II case, looks like if I use the starting load of 2.5gr bullseye on a 250gr swaged bullet ( Speer 4684 ) I should be ok with fps in the 570-600fps range.? Yes?
    More like 500 fps if it even exits the barrel. Again, depends upon barrel-cylinder gap.
    Take your squibb rod and dead blow hammer along. 3 grains should be safe at 1.20" OAL.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

More like 500 fps if it even exits the barrel. Again, depends upon barrel-cylinder gap.
    Take your squibb rod and dead blow hammer along. 3 grains should be safe at 1.20" OAL.
    3gr, even using the short mkII cases?

Another comment got me thinking too... I have a colt new service marked 455 elley. Never have fired it... Never before had and 455 webley ammo. I need to dig that gun out...

Ok..in the mean time..just did some measurements. The hornady Mk-II cases are indeed .76"
    I made up a dummy with my soft swaged Speer 4684 swc..its oal is 1.11"

I'm going to make up 2 cylinder fills..1 for each gun. I'll start with 2.5 on my first test..then try 3. I'll be mindful of squibbs!

Ps..appreciate the help guys, thanks.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I'm jealous!

Barrel-cylinder gap is as important as barrel.length. Many British top-break revolvers have large barrel-cylinder gaps of 0.010" or more. Velocity will be a full 100 fps less than a Colt New Service having been professionally refitted to a minimum gap of 0.004" pass / 0.005" hold.

My rebuilt 3.5 inch New Service .45 "Pocket Blaster" produces the same velocity with WW2 service loads as my 1914 New Service .455.
    Attachment 322947
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast