RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red dot versus scopes

Banned

Red dot versus scopes

Will a red dot be just as accurate as a scope POI ?
    Last edited by castmiester; 02-01-2024 at 01:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    That's a nebulous question.
    At what range? What size of red dot? Pistol? Rifle?
    Red dot at close range vs. traditional optic? Close.
    100 yards? 500 yards? Nope.
    Target acquisition at close range? Red dot generally wins.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Pistol. Like to get close to 100. Wouldn’t know what size. Based on what?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    Pistol. Like to get close to 100. Wouldn’t know what size. Based on what?
    Based on MOA of red dot proposed.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Looks like 3 moa for just under 100 yards. Closer higher MOA for quicker actuation, from what l read. You pointed me in the right direction to google it, thanks.
    Last edited by castmiester; 02-01-2024 at 02:37 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

The dot is one size in an unmagnified red dot. If you get a 1 MOA dot it subtends approximately 1 inch of the target at 100 yards, but it is slow to pick up at speed on close range targets. An 8 MOA dot subtends approximately 8 inches at 100 yards which could hinder accuracy depending on the target. On the other hand the big dot is fast to acquire close range.

Another consideration is that folks with astigmatism won’t see a nice round dot. They will see something between an oval and a smear depending on how bad their vision is.

To my thinking, pure precision target work at distance would be best served with a low magnification scope.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Here is a graphic from Vortex showing some possible sight pictures for folks with astigmatism.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Banned
    won’t see a nice round dot
    Ok… when l used my sight mark bore sight laser it refracted like the pic you posted. The fifth dot kinda blurry like.

To my thinking, pure precision target work at distance would be best served with a low magnification scope.
    Too bulky and cumbersome as a side arm ? I mean a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel with a pistol scope.
    Last edited by castmiester; 02-01-2024 at 03:04 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

What is the intended purpose? Most guys that hunt with something like that would carry in a chest holster. It wouldn’t be my first choice for IWB carry.

Banned
    Hunting but at close range you can’t in holster it fast at close range unless you have it in hand while walking or sitting. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a scope base held down by one screw.
    Last edited by castmiester; 02-01-2024 at 04:26 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

You want fast and easy to carry along with precision at 100 yards. Your goals are mutually exclusive and only you can decide what compromise works best for you.

Banned
    Well l got a good deal too on this pistol and figured a red dot would be fine. A Ruger hunter even used are pricey coz they aren’t in demand. Ruger ain’t making as much of them. 1000 plus and scoped is easy 15 plus. A used Vortex red dot is more like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am planning on installing a Sig Romeo 5 red dot on a 9mm carbine. It has a 2 MOA dot and I think it may be a tad small, but it was on sale and cheap.

Precision is not something I would be too concerned about on a pistol or carbine that is not going to get used much at more than 100 yards. It is not like we expect 2" groups at 100 yards...well I guess I should say...I don't except that kind of performance.

I have a red dot on a pistol and I would not use it for SD. I have trouble picking up the dot rapidly. On a rifle where the check weld puts you eye close to the right place, it should be OK.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Generally speaking, a Scope is going to be more accurate than a Red Dot. That said, a Red Dot is going to be faster to acquire targets. If you're looking at handgun hunting out to a 100 yards, I'd say either should be sufficient. But if you have a hard time shooting accurately out to further distances you may be better served with a scope. If this is strictly for target shooting, scope. If you're looking at a defensive application, red dot. It all comes down to it's application....but that's not to say you can't make one or the other work for you.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    Will a red dot be just as accurate as a scope POI ?
    I got a CVA Scout in 45-70 that came with a 4x scope on it. Eye relief on it was so short the way I had to hold it to sight it resulted in my actually breaking a collarbone that is still healing. I put a red dot sight on it, now its fine.

on outdoor channel the Wild Boar Fever series shows the red dot aimpoints being used successfully at various hunting ranges -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Red dots will work very well out past 100 yards for deer hunting purposes. If I were just trying to see how small a group I could shoot I’d use a scope. However, what you need for deer hunting isn’t necessarily the smallest group you can shoot. I’ve been shooting hunting handguns for around forty years now with red dots on them. I’ve shot a lot of deer with handguns and red dots and have had no problem with being able to put the bullet on target. I put a red dot on a 45-70 lever gun I have (Win 1886) just to see what I could do with it at a measured 114 yards (my deck to the target). It was a Burris FF3 with a three minute dot. Here’s a couple of pictures of two five shot groups. I probably couldn’t do much better with a scope and I have an astigmatism to boot. That doesn’t make much difference by the way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinMiroku%201886%20001.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	322908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinMiroku%201886%20002.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	322909

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Red dots will work very well out past 100 yards for deer hunting purposes. If I were just trying to see how small a group I could shoot I’d use a scope. However, what you need for deer hunting isn’t necessarily the smallest group you can shoot. I’ve been shooting hunting handguns for around forty years now with red dots on them. I’ve shot a lot of deer with handguns and red dots and have had no problem with being able to put the bullet on target. I put a red dot on a 45-70 lever gun I have (Win 1886) just to see what I could do with it at a measured 114 yards (my deck to the target). It was a Burris FF3 with a three minute dot. Here’s a couple of pictures of two five shot groups. I probably couldn’t do much better with a scope and I have an astigmatism to boot. That doesn’t make much difference by the way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinMiroku%201886%20001.jpeg 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	322908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinMiroku%201886%20002.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	322909
    Everyone gets different results depending on their own vision. My astigmatism makes red dots look like an elongated and pixelated quarter moon.

No it won't be

Accuracy with a Red Dot Sight requires a little practice. I have Bushnell TRS25 Red Dots mounted on all my Carbines. (AR15, Mini 14, Kel-Tec SU16CA, Fight-Light SCR, Ruger PC .40, Ruger Scout Rifle.308, and in the past and soon again in the future a Burris Fast Fire on my Glock 35 .40 S&W.

I can hit a Man Sized target every single time off a Rest at 200 yards with any of the Rifles. I can do 8/10 at 300 with everything but the PC Carbine.

I shot a Short Range Silhouette Match with my G35 using a USA 1 Shot Pistol Brace.(see Pic below) First time out after sighting the gun in at 50 yards, shooting offhand with the gun in the brace.

10/10 on 50 Meter Chickens, 9/10 on 100M Pigs, only got 4 of the Turkeys at 150M, and then 6/10 on Rams at 200M! (took 4 shots to get the holdover down.) This was all with my standard .40 S&W handloads with 165 gr Plated Boolits, nothing special.

Any gun with a Red Dot is easily a 100 yard gun.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464630.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast